Dundee United 2013/14 Season

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great weekend! Can't see Aberdeen getting anything in midweek v Celtic and can only see Motherwell drawing meaning if we beat Hibs we're only four points off Europe \o/

But they play again at the weekend so we'll have a game in hand.

Next three league games (Hibs (A), St Johnstone (H) and St Mirren (H)) will define our season. Seven points minimum or forget about top three I think.

Loads of home games left - with just Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts the remaining away games - and that is what we're good at. 11 wins, 2 draws and a defeat in our last 13.

Very positive news. McNamara has made mistakes, but he is a young manager and has shown his determination to try new things, blood younger players and play attacking football. Not everything will work, and we are by no means world beaters, but give me his Utd over Houston's anyday. Thank f**k we got rid of him and replaced him with someone like McNamara.

Of course his biggest challenge will be finding talent to replace people like Robertson, GMS, Gauld etc but we can worry abut that in the future.

I was getting told John Souttar's younger brother Harry (?), is also an exceptional talent. Has anyone seen him?

Heard he regularly rips the piss out of older guys at five/six a side. He's supposed to have far more potential than his brother.

Just back in from the Q&A at the Whitehall. Outside of the announcement about McNamara extending his contract - which was very pleasing news - there wasn't much in the way of big news revealed in the big question and answer with Stephen Thompson, Jackie McNamara, Stevie Campbell, Jim Spence and Tom Duthie.

McNamara confirmed that he's still trying to get the ball rolling on a new contract for Dow and explained that he understood the problem situation Dow's been in the past couple of years. He and Thompson also agreed that they were optimistic about getting Rankin signed up too. However, they repeated the usual "door is always open for him" line with regards to Gunning but said that he and his agent haven't been willing to sit down and negotiate since they first asked before christmas. They also brushed over the question about extending GMS's contract. I don't get the feeling that they are optimistic about it happening frankly. Thompson had mentioned earlier that we avoided making a small loss through the sale of Johnny Russell last summer. Meanwhile McNamara mentioned that they were probably going to need to convince Mackay-Steven of the benefits of hanging around for another year and letting a player like him run down the last year of his contract and that him leaving for free in 2015 wasn't ideal for a club like ours.

Thompson also mentioned that as we all pretty much guessed, an important part of the deal for the fans consortium who took over the debt to the bank is that their identities are to remain anonymous. That being said, whoever they are it sounds like we really do owe them a big debt of gratitude as the Chairman said a few times throughout the night that the bank was putting a lot of pressure on us to sell players. Furthermore, when asked a bit more as to whether the bank was putting any significant pressure on us to sell this summer, he tried to avoid answering as much as he could.

An extra couple bits of interest about the deal that I was unaware of is that we apparently have a six year plan to pay back the debt as the fans do want their money back, with interest, but ultimately are going to be a bit forgiving if we are a bit behind schedule at any point.

There was a good interview session before all that though with Dave Bowman and John Reilly which was a bit more lighthearted with a fair bit of humour derived from laughing at Dave Bowman's disciplinary record over his career.

Overall it was a pretty decent affair from the club, the possibilty of free (or at least very cheap) events like these in the future make getting a season ticket more appealing for me tbh.

Archived