The East Fife Thread

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You do realise that they are going to be managing the club right? As such they're playing careers matters for absolutely not.

You have no idea how Barry Robson will be as a manager, Barry Smith is dreadful, Murray was a disaster in his last job and Burchill didn't exactly set the heather alight at Livi did he?

As it is you'd rather have them because they've played for bigger clubs and may have some contacts?! This may absolutely shock and astound you but if he's a Good manager his playing career won't matter for shit, there's plenty of managers throughout history who have succeeded without a glittering career.

You talk fondly about Naysmith and how he immediately had the respect of the players and how he had all these contacts, he took over yous in 8th place and by the end had you marooned in 9th! His playing career and contacts really helped there eh? Maybe if you appoint a manager on there merits of how good a manager they are, then you might not have had the disaster of League two eh?

Your opinion obviously differs from mine but there is nothing to say I am right or you are right. We both have our opinions. You are right their playing careers mean nothing in terms of management ability but it is more likely to buy them a bit of time to settle as players will respect what they achieved in the game. You are right, nobody knows how good Barry Robson would be, just the same as Hearts are taking a gamble with Ian Cathro. At the same time nobody knew how Robbie Neilson would have done when he took over at Hearts as a rookie manager. It didn't work out too badly.

Ian Murray did very well at Dumbarton but bombed at St Mirren, the same as Alex Rae after him. Your opinion is that Barry Smith is dreadful but you don't state why. Mark Burchill didn't set the heather alight at Livi but he kept them up despite a points deduction and won the Challenge Cup despite major financial and signing constraints. You make no mention of who we should be considering but it seems like you would recommend Greig McDonald or Tam Courts who have also management experience. Greig took Stirling up then straight back down. Tam has done really well at Kelty but has had an open chequebook which he won't have at Bayview. In fact some of his players are earning more than players at Bayview.

You are correct When you say Gary took over when we were 8th in League 1 and has left us in 9th in the same League. When he took over he was left with the players already signed and he did indeed oversee our relegation. He then helped us win the League last season with the team he built. We started the season well, but have faded and our small squad has come back to bite us. He did however have some signings lined up for January but then QOS came calling and he deserved his chance at a full-time club - again my opinion, but one obviously shared by the Board at QOS. He may fail as Ian Murray did at St Mirren but he has the chance to prove himself at that level.

I respect your opinion and would hope you do mine but by the tone of your original post, I doubt it

Barry been the main man 206 times in the dugout with Dundee, Alloa and Aldershot. His record is won 69, drawn 46 and lost 91. He holds the record of 23 games unbeaten with Dundee. He has also had poor runs with both Dundee and Alloa which led him to resign at Alloa and the Dundee board to terminate his contract after backing him. Has also had good experiences coaching youth football. A good solid professional career playing with Celtic, Dundee and Valur in Iceland. So all in all has a wealth of footballing experience,probably what is required at Bayview just now to try and lead us to league one safety.

Barry Smith got an unfair crack of the whip at Dens. He performed better than any other manager has in my lifetime when he led us to safety in the Deefiant season. Nothing will be able to take that away from his.

The next season, with his budget being the lowest Dundee had operated on since the Kernaghan season he leaded us to 2nd in the first division. He then seen us promoted the day before the SPL season started having had a transfer embargo placed on him until we knew where we were playing. He had a half built first division side and had to fish around the scrapheap barrel. Unsurprisingly, we weren't prepared, we struggled and he was sacked whilst backstabbing amongst board members was rife. (For instance, Smith always wanted Jocky Scott as his assistant but even a simple thing like this was blocked by the board).

Don't know Alloa fans opinion of him but he was always on a hiding to nothing replacing one of Alloa's most successful ever managers in Hartley.

At Aldershot he had a lot of personal drama going on which interrupted his time. He seemed to have the same problem with them as he did with us though in that he couldn't sign a decent striker to save himself - so the one thing I'd hope is that you already have a couple of decent goal getters as I can't see Smith bringing one to the club.