The East Fife Thread

Best of luck to Barry. I enjoyed his style of play more than Danny Lennon or Jack Ross, but we couldn't win to save ourselves, mainly due to a lack of penetration in the final third. Many a game spent passing the ball about on the edge of the penalty box with no obvious route through to goal.

Still, he's due an unarguable success if he's going to make it as a manager, so hopefully this will be it. A clean sweep against Livingston and Airdrie will be vital, I feel  :ph34r:

Saw on the Official Site that Lewis Barr scored for us three years ago today in a 3-1 away win at Airdrie, anyone know where he is playing now, can remember being quite disappointed when he was released!!!

IMG_1481754505.032241.jpg.716053f96adc1e

Barry Smith is relishing the challenge of securing East Fife’s safety in League One this Season.

The former Dundee manager, who guided the Dark Blues to their greatest ever unbeaten streak of 23 games back in 2010, was picked to be the man to replace Gary Naysmith by the club’s board this week. He joins an East Fife side with a fresh confidence after picking up two wins from their past two games.

At the same time, though, the club does still sit just the one place above the relegation play-off area and has work to do to ease away from the drop zone. That’s the immediate challenge for Smith and his side, and it’s something the new boss is itching to get his teeth into. He said: “Gary did a very good job here and it’s now about me continuing that and trying to get the boys up the table. They’re sitting third bottom just now and we want to stay clear of those play-offs and push on. First and foremost we have to get ourselves away from that position."

“First and foremost we have to get ourselves away from that position. It’s going to be a challenge for us but I like challenges.” Smith will take the reigns for the first time this weekend when the club entertains Peterhead. They’ll be aiming to make it two league wins on the bounce after picking up all three points at Brechin City on Saturday in front of the TV cameras. The 1-0 win impressed the new boss.

“The attitude was terrific, they never gave up, kept pressing players and chasing things down,” said Smith. “With that kind of attitude you can’t go far wrong. It’s a good group here. I know some of the players and the togetherness they have can work very much in your favour. It’s about getting the best of them."

“I’ve played against a few of the players here and have a really good idea about them. The fact a lot of them have played together for a few years can stand us in good stead.” Although the short term survival is league safety, Smith has much higher ambitions for the club. “The priority is staying in the league at the moment but for me, we want to be better than that,” he said. “They’ve just been promoted and the first season in can be a tough one. It’s been an ok start but it’s been tough. So we want to stay in the league this season and then push on as much as we can.”

East Fife have a chance to go above Jim McInally’s Peterhead if they beat them on Saturday. He’s an opponent Smith knows well. “I played with Jim atDundee and know how he sets his teams up,” said the boss. “It’ll be a difficult game because they’re a side who’d be expecting to do better. There are a lot of good players in that team and guys who have played in the Championship. But although it’ll be a difficult game we want to be positive and get the three points to keep us moving in the right direction.”

With Naysmith taking his assistant Dougie Anderson to Queen’s, Smith is expected to announce his own backroom staff imminently.

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'll take a punt that his assistant will be one of these 4: Jocky Scott, Ray Farningham, Bobby Mann or Rab Douglas.

Big Rab would be an excellent choice. Dedicated and genuinely interested in developing younger players.  A great motivator in the dressing room too. 

Jocky has had his day.  

Big Rab would be an excellent choice. Dedicated and genuinely interested in developing younger players.  A great motivator in the dressing room too. 
Jocky has had his day.  

Rab's said he's no interest in management but maybe an assistant spot might suit him.

Jocky has probably had his day, but Smith used to regard him as the ideal person to learn from. As I say, he tried to make him assistant at Dens but was turned down by our board. Who's to say Jocky wants to return?

Will be an interesting appointment because despite managing 3 different clubs this will be the first time an assistant hasn't been forced on him.

Very chuffed with the appointment of young and Smith, 2 experienced coaches both with very good cvs and plenty contacts[emoji106] feeling very positive about the rest of the season now, let's get along to bayview on sat and give barry and Gordon a warm welcome, mon the fife

Prior to yesterdays game,I was in the company of 2 shareholders and the topic came up about the clubs finances.

1 shareholder said that the clubs AGM had been held and that for the year ended 31 May 2016, the club had made a small profit of about £1000 . If true , this is fantastic news.

Meanwhile the other shareholder said that he had received no notification of the AGM.

Anyone know what the correct situation is?