The East Fife Thread

Pre season friendly results should be treated with some caution but a 4 -1 defeat to second division Stirling following a loss to Spartans is a cause for concern.Frankly the squad is weak and requires some experienced signings.Darren Young really needs to get a move on or we are facing a very difficult season.

Half the teams just gotten back from their holidays ! Patience is required..got to give them time to gel and figure things out a team isn't given promotion or relegation in July or August

Shambles! Was expecting to hear of signings by now but it could be possible that there's no cash available due to poor season ticket sales and manager has to use the loan market wisely. I never read too much into pre season games, however, getting beat by a non league side and thrashed by a team a league below is worrying.

Never understand why players are coming back from holiday still. First competitive game is in a week and they've done no pre season training?

Because the season now starts so early and the schools have only been off for a week. Those who are away now will have done the early part of pre-season

If the team was similar to Spartans then folk are panicking a bit early. Yes we'd rather win the pre-season games, but vs Spartans for example we had 4 signed players, one of which was Kane playing in central midfield and Willis was basically playing up front which obviously is not how we'll line up. I agree we need a few signings within the next two or three weeks if we are going to have a strong league campaign.

And I'd further ask the question of season ticket sales; @Angusfifer anything you can share with regards numbers in comparison to last season?

Edited by Big Fifer

I take it you mean Willis not Wilkie ! We need signings now, not in 2 or 3 weeks. The first competitive game is next Sat and I believe trialists are not allowed in the Betfred Cup ! With 14 signed players and Smith & Wilkie unlikely to feature for a few weeks, we are extremely short of numbers. We need to use the Betfred games to get the team to gel and this will only happen if players are signed and the squad is strong and balanced.

Everyone needs to calm down. All just being stupid panicking, would you rather the club snatched at signings or sat and assessed players to make sure they fit into the team. Signings will come and the correct signings at that. 

Rediculous saying it's cause we are skint that we are signing guys on loan? We had 5 loanees last year! You have seen the quality of the guys we have been speaking to. There are more available and can't just sign the first 8 that come our way! 

When will they have the chance to assess them now that our friendlies are finished ? The quality of the players we are speaking too is fine but it's whether we can actually sign them that is the problem. We've already missed out on a few we were speaking to.

In training, make a first XI v trialists and even mix the team. We have missed out on some but if they aren't keen on the cause then there is no point. Rather have guys that buy into the east fife philosophy would you not? 

We have guys (all who have been playing in higher leagues) on trial. You have the guys who want to stay full time but the offer of part time from us is a better option. Just look at Doherty, turned down the rovers for us. There will be more of those guys, people know east fife are a well run club with an opportunity to move up leagues with us or even by themselves. 

52 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

In training, make a first XI v trialists and even mix the team. We have missed out on some but if they aren't keen on the cause then there is no point. Rather have guys that buy into the east fife philosophy would you not? 

We have guys (all who have been playing in higher leagues) on trial. You have the guys who want to stay full time but the offer of part time from us is a better option. Just look at Doherty, turned down the rovers for us. There will be more of those guys, people know east fife are a well run club with an opportunity to move up leagues with us or even by themselves. 

Surely the 3 friendlies we have played was the time to assess trialists. I would expect Darren Young is assessing players in training. The guys you say that buy in to the East Fife philosophy. For most players, money talks. The majority of players look to get the best deal they can when joining a new club. Who are the guys we have on trial who have ALL been playing in higher leagues other than Ben Gordon ? (McNaughton who has now retired)

Mark Docherty turned down the Rovers not because of the East Fife philosophy ! He was part-time at Dumbarton and possibly has a decent job away from Football so going full time at Raith wasn't his best option. Players with decent jobs are happ to play part time to earn extra money (Rory McAllister is a good example) Players who have been full time will be looking to stay full time. If they can't get it they will be looking to get the best part time offer they can as it may be their only income.

Of course, we all want to see the best players possible in an East Fife shirt but with the season fast approaching, I would have hoped and expected the squad to be almost complete by this stage and starting to gel

I agree with Bayviewboy, friendliest should offer the opportunity to get your team settled into a way of playing together. We were left in the lunch at the timing of Smith leaving but I don't think you can blame fans for being a bit apprehensive at this stage. The forthcoming cup ties could of course be used to gel all your signed players as we have little chance of progressing in the competition. I just feel that circumstances have put us in a worse position than we ere last season at this time.

However I will be supporting my team as always.

The east fife philosophy is to try and get up in the next two years as we are all aware. You just need to look at what we have been paying some guys and they chose to come to us. Yes money talks but if there is a couple of similar offers the philosophy matters.

I am in no place to say that guys who we have been looking at.

but evidently Gordon (Alloa/ livi), Dunsmore (hibs), mcnaughton (Aberdeen, Scotland etc), Flannigan (hearts, st mirren), Mason (hearts), Gallagher (Dundee), Clark (Dundee)

Can't see that philosophy being any different to almost every other club. Every Club wants to progress and try for promotion so I don't see us as any different.Some of the players who have signed for us are not on huge amounts but the fact we offered a few of them 2 year deals have given them some sort of longer term security

Of the players mentioned only Gordon and McNaughton (who has allegedly retired) have played in higher leagues. The rest are young lads who have been released from bigger clubs but they have no experience of first team football.

We should maybe just agree to differ in our opinions. Hopefully some decent signings materialise and we have a successful season.

Probably the disconcerting thing for me is it's the trialists that are losing the games Not sure if I will go to Peterhead it's a long drive when we are struggling to get a team together. Hopefully communication from the club will start to improve particularly about the lack of friendlies that fans could attend