The East Fife Thread

As I said last week, we've lacked a commanding, no nonsense defender for about 3 years now. But there's been some crazy money & deals handed out this summer, so we've missed out on a couple.

We need a decent keeper to replace Brett Long, a creative midfielder, who can score goals at set pieces to replace Scott Agnew (not sure McManus is that guy) & a striker to replace Hamilton's goals, even more so now with McGuire retiring (we were probably signing him 2 years too late anyway). That would just be for us as a club to stand still!

Hopefully we can address these with loanees, if not it will be a struggle.

Apart from the last window, the manager's recruitment has been decent, I'm hoping the last window was just a blip under difficult circumstances & he's not 'lost it'.

1 hour ago, Life on Marrs? said:

As I said last week, we've lacked a commanding, no nonsense defender for about 3 years now. But there's been some crazy money & deals handed out this summer, so we've missed out on a couple.

We need a decent keeper to replace Brett Long, a creative midfielder, who can score goals at set pieces to replace Scott Agnew (not sure McManus is that guy) & a striker to replace Hamilton's goals, even more so now with McGuire retiring (we were probably signing him 2 years too late anyway). That would just be for us as a club to stand still!

Hopefully we can address these with loanees, if not it will be a struggle.

Apart from the last window, the manager's recruitment has been decent, I'm hoping the last window was just a blip under difficult circumstances & he's not 'lost it'.

Yeh I have said that about a no nonsense defender for a number of seasons as well and yes we have missed out on a few due to money on offer. I am wondering about the reasoning for letting Craig Watson go and having Chris Kane as a trialist. Kane wasn’t too bad a defender but a bit erratic at times and picked up a few red cards and penalties against him down to his rashness at times.

I have also wished for a goalkeeper who would command his 6 yard box as I don’t think Long did that too well although a good shot stopper. We will see what Gallagher is like cos it looks like he will be no 1 choice!
No doubt that Wallace will take over the free kick duties. And yes I totally agree that we are very light up front with McGuigan letting us down. Wallace is not an out and out striker (although he will contribute with a few) and Kev Smith also not a box striker, haven’t seen enough about Sean Brown to see what he brings to the party.

All in all at the moment with the players available I think we are a bottom five team.

The money flying about in League 1 is crazy and we've lost out on quite a few players already that are simply getting more from other teams.
I still think we can compete but top 4 is a distant dream and fans need to realise that before setting ridiculously high standards. I'd be very surprised if there are 2 or 3 teams with a lower budget than us. As it stands, staying in this league would be a good effort

56 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

The money flying about in League 1 is crazy and we've lost out on quite a few players already that are simply getting more from other teams.
I still think we can compete but top 4 is a distant dream and fans need to realise that before setting ridiculously high standards. I'd be very surprised if there are 2 or 3 teams with a lower budget than us. As it stands, staying in this league would be a good effort

Spot on!!!!!!!

On 24/06/2021 at 20:38, Monthefife86 said:

Who is the boy monsouri playing for us tonight

Adam Mansouri, one of our former youth players. Surprised we let him go tbh, seemed like he had something about him, tore it up for Kennoway Star Hearts on loan last season prior to the non-leagues closing up again. Hope he impressed.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

5 hours ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Personally I believed East Fife got it spot on, signing a squad early,  recruited well McManus is decent unlucky that McGuiga wrapped it...

What sort of wages are getting banded about, would think East Fife would be paying much the same as ourselves..

10 hours ago, Wee Jockie said:

Not too inspired by the match last night. Too much reliance on Wallace.
Keeper looked about 12. I know it was just a kick about but still

I fully agree. Lack of a proven goalscorer up front could prove costly if the number of missed chances last night Is an omen for the coming season.  If anything were to happen to either (or both) Wallace or Smith then we are up the proverbial creek coz I can’t see where goals are going come from. 

prove me wrong please.

1 hour ago, Exiled Fifer said:

I fully agree. Lack of a proven goalscorer up front could prove costly if the number of missed chances last night Is an omen for the coming season.  If anything were to happen to either (or both) Wallace or Smith then we are up the proverbial creek coz I can’t see where goals are going come from. 

prove me wrong please.

Especially with both injury records past few seasons. Hopefully Swanson can kick on and get the goals from midfield that Agnew got, but think we need another striker wide midfielder and centre back

Can only echo the above. Seems from the friendlies we're still going with Pat at left back, and with nobody really in to replace Agnew and McGuigan being allowed to go, I think this season might be a bit of a struggle for us. 

12 hours ago, Wee Jockie said:

Not too inspired by the match last night. Too much reliance on Wallace.
Keeper looked about 12. I know it was just a kick about but still

Young keeper only 17 years I think was drafted in at last minute due to Gallagher being unavailable!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Monthefife86 said:

With likes of Falkirk cove alloa Airdrie and queens park spending money and getting in depth squads it could be a long hard season if we don't get in strength in depth in most areas

Tbh I think our squad isnt great at all bar the two new full backs in Williamson and McCann. The rest are meh, I think McKay will turn out to be another Durnan, Nesbitt and Mcguffie I think won't be consistent, Hetherington? and Ross who couldn't get a game at Cove. We still don't have a decent striker, Keena is injured again and Dowds I don't rate at all.( I wish you would take him back) Yes we may have spent money on wages, length of contract but we are also about 5 players short of better quality than what we have. We are now looking at a loan kid striker from Aberdeen who hasn't scored a goal and a rookie coach nobody really wanted bar the board and Holt. Car crash season again? Don't be surprised the divide between the fans and board is wider than ever. 

8 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Tbh I think our squad isnt great at all bar the two new full backs in Williamson and McCann. The rest are meh, I think McKay will turn out to be another Durnan, Nesbitt and Mcguffie I think won't be consistent, Hetherington? and Ross who couldn't get a game at Cove. We still don't have a decent striker, Keena is injured again and Dowds I don't rate at all.( I wish you would take him back) Yes we may have spent money on wages, length of contract but we are also about 5 players short of better quality than what we have. We are now looking at a loan kid striker from Aberdeen who hasn't scored a goal and a rookie coach nobody really wanted bar the board and Holt. Car crash season again? Don't be surprised the divide between the fans and board is wider than ever. 

I seemed to be one of the few that didn’t rate Dowds at New Bayview. He worked hard, huffed and puffed but his goals scored was very low for a main striker. For a big guy he was hopeless in the air, hard to remember if he scored with a header at all in his time. However we are so desperate for forwards that we probably would take him back. We just cannot rely on Kev Smith And Ryan Wallace to get into double figures for goals and that’s no allowing for injuries to one or both of them and midfielders such as Watt, Davidson, Slattery, goals from them are as rare as hens teeth. Difficult to look forward with much optimism.