Confederations Cup 2013

Further to this, Tahiti is a team full of players who play in Tahiti - and one player from abroad. At least with Leiechtenstein they might have players in the German lower or youth leagues.

More likely to be in the Swiss leagues, given that's where Vaduz play.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you'll find I raised this possibility myself. Thank you for your opinion, and for only being an abrasive, insulting and delusional dick a few times whilst expressing it.

Yeah I think that this is probably right, given that Nigeria's profligacy kept the score down more than anything else, so disorganized and incompetent were Tahiti at the back. On the other hand, sides like San Marino, Andorra and Liechtenstein are no great shakes in that department either, without widespread suggestions that they'll lose 36-0 or thereabouts against a very good team, with amazement when they cross the halfway line or utter shock when they manage to score a goal.

I just think that such talk of record scores is OTT purely because most people have barely heard of Tahiti, and by extension the conclusions being drawn about Nigeria are also slightly OTT. Tahiti have made it there on merit despite New Zealand being in their confederation, and they dish out significant humpings to smaller teams within that confederation.

Prediction - Spain to win 9-0 but they'll take their foot majorly off the gas before it gets embarrassing. This will confirm once and for all that Tahiti are probably slightly worse than Liechtenstein, but don't consider a football to be a magical object created by the Gods which should be treated with reverence and caution.

I'd agree with this.

In terms of population Tahiti would be in the same bracket as Andorra, Faroe Islands, Lichtenstein and San Marino. Football may not be as widely played and they clearly don't have the same exposure (in terms of their players having access to professional leagues) or experience (of playing top level nations) as the Europeans do. But broadly speaking, you'd expect them to lose by a similar scoreline to the likes of Spain.

The fact they are a bit unknown to most people is what is driving the talk of record scorelines. I fancy Spain to cruise it by 7 or 8 but not dish out an absolute pumping.

More likely to be in the Swiss leagues, given that's where Vaduz play.

Vaduz barely have any players from Liechtenstein in their squad. They are able to attract ex-German youth internationals and other foreigners due to the tax situation. I remember when we played them their players were on about three times what ours were, and that was in the second tier.

Vaduz barely have any players from Liechtenstein in their squad. They are able to attract ex-German youth internationals and other foreigners due to the tax situation. I remember when we played them their players were on about three times what ours were, and that was in the second tier.

That wasn't actually true. Their wage budget was greater than Falkirk's but not by that much. I think it was around the 7 million euros mark, Falkirk's at that time being around 4 million Euros.

That wasn't actually true. Their wage budget was greater than Falkirk's but not by that much. I think it was around the 7 million euros mark, Falkirk's at that time being around 4 million Euros.

I can remember Olejnik saying that a player they had who he had played with at Aston Villa was on 3 times as much as an equivalent Falkirk player. Maybe it was after tax or something? I can't imagine their fixed costs would differ greatly from ours from those figures given the expense of Stirling University and TFS, plus our squad wasn't complete at that point so the 4m Euro budget wouldn't be fully utilised.

I can remember Olejnik saying that a player they had who he had played with at Aston Villa was on 3 times as much as an equivalent Falkirk player.

Yeah, but that's the same argument fans used when comparing someone like Russell Latapy with other Division One players when we won promotion. Or saying "Club X signed a guy we couldn't afford, so they must have a higher wage bill"

I think (and this is borne out by having seen them - they weren't very good) Vaduz had a bit of a Latapy/John O'Neil set up with a few highly paid "stars" and some water carriers. I remember the guy in midfield that was an Under 21 internationalist for somewhere looked excellent. But they had some right shit in their XI as well, which is why May's lot were competitive with them over 2 legs.

Did you even read the rest of my post? Not sure why you just replied to one part of it.

I didn't see that it was relevant to the point you were making.

I don't believe Vaduz players were on anything like 3 times the money the Falkirk squad were. That squad still had the likes of Burton O'Brien, Barr, McNamara, Scobbie, Ryan Flynn, Twaddle, Brian McLean etc in it.

All of whom would have been on in excess of £1K a week.

Here is an article from When Saturday Comes in July 2008 :-

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/923-Europe/4404-border-crossing

Located in a tax haven with the world’s highest per capita GDP, FC Vaduz’s budget of 4.6 million Swiss francs was by far the biggest in this year’s Challenge League. Next season’s figure could rise to eight ­million due to backing from Liechtenstein’s national bank, LLB, and investment firm MBP

I think you'll find I raised this possibility myself. Thank you for your opinion, and for only being an abrasive, insulting and delusional dick a few times whilst expressing it.

Classic, you can give it our (very poorly) but cry like a bitch when you get it back.

This has been a good game, Brazil will score quite a few.

Archived