The Universe

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I got a Telescope for Christmas. Other than pointing it at the sun and putting my eye straight to the lens, who can tell me where to start?

The infinite universe will provide you a lifetime of study and exploration. Any neighbours within a few miles that don't close their curtains at night?

12 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I got a Telescope for Christmas. Other than pointing it at the sun and putting my eye straight to the lens, who can tell me where to start?

Venus will be very bright in the sky from dusk, it should be in the south west. You should be able to make out the crest of the planet. Mars is also in the sky but more faint. 

8 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The infinite universe will provide you a lifetime of study and exploration. Any neighbours within a few miles that don't close their curtains at night?

I live in the middle of the old town. I wouldn't need a telescope to see in...

Unfortunately that also means there is a shit load of street lighting that really interferes with what I can see. Planning on taking the thing out with me at some point and heading into the hills when it's a little warmer. Should be dark enough up there that I get a much better view.

Watched a few Youtube videos last night, but got the impression that all they wanted to do was sell me all sorts of accessories that I may or may not need.

7 minutes ago, Ross. said:

t got the impression that all they wanted to do was sell me all sorts of accessories that I may or may not need.

Download Stellarium. Its free and it allows you to see where everything is in the sky, you can move location and time. 

Really big things. If the Earth was compressed to the density of a black hole it would be the size of a peanut. There are black holes the size of the solar system. :blink:

Edited by welshbairn

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 14:22, Ross. said:

If you went up to the North Pole - it will be plenty dark and very few clouds.  Take some extra clothing.  It might be cold.

3 hours ago, supermik said:

Wont need a telescope tonight to see Venus. It is incredibly bright just now below the moon.

That's what I was telling the police officer when I photographed the two over the nurses home in Kirkcaldy earlier.

On 12/28/2016 at 14:22, Ross. said:

I can bore you for a while about this (no surprise) as my son went through a phase a few years back.  I ended up buying him a pair of fairly powerful binoculars from a bloke in Aviemore: http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/20x60.html

I also bought him a fairly sturdy tripod (which cost 3x the binoculars) as, given the distance, a steady base is essential.

The big problem for beginners is knowing what you want to look at.  Binoculars help a lot here as they have a much wider field of view.  Software helps too, as good programs can orientate you towards 'heavenly bodies' and you can input either your map reference of even your post code to help fix your position.  

So I'd say:

1. Do a little background research to know what you can see and from where and at what time of year.

2. Get a pair of binoculars to give you a broad view of the sky.

3. Get some software (needn't be expensive) to give you an idea of what is possible to see from your location

4. Use your telescope to home in on detail.

Edited by The_Kincardine

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I can bore you for a while about this (no surprise) as my son went through a phase a few years back.  I ended up buying him a pair of fairly powerful binoculars from a bloke in Aviemore: http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/20x60.html

I also bought him a fairly sturdy tripod (which cost 3x the binoculars) as, given the distance, a steady base is essential.

The big problem for beginners is knowing what you want to look at.  Binoculars help a lot here as they have a much wider field of view.  Software helps too, as good programs can orientate you towards 'heavenly bodies' and you can input either your map reference of even your post code to help fix your position.  

So I'd say:

1. Do a little background research to know what you can see and from where and at what time of year.

2. Get a pair of binoculars to give you a broad view of the sky.

3. Get some software (needn't be expensive) to give you an idea of what is possible to see from your location

4. Use your telescope to home in on detail.

The tripod I got with it seems steady enough at the moment, though I have only had it sitting in the spare room. Will see how I get on when I get round to taking it outside before spending anything that might not be necessary.

Your first suggestion is probably the thing I need to do more than anything. As it stands I can't say much other than that I like looking at the sky at night when it is clear, and I would simply like to see more of it.

I am pretty sure we have a decent set of binoculars kicking about somewhere having bought them before going on a safari in South Africa, no idea for the life of me where they ended up or if they would be suitable for sky gazing rather than looking up trees for sleeping cheetahs.

I got some software with the telescope, will need to sit with that and work out what it all means and how to use it, but haven't really had the time yet.

The last bit I can't really do from the house, thanks to the amount of street lighting that filters in. Perhaps I should spend the next few months working on parts 1 and 3 and then when it's warm enough to head up the hills let the other parts take care of themselves. Might buy a Rambo knife as well, will need protection from the wild pigs...

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

The last bit I can't really do from the house, thanks to the amount of street lighting that filters in. Perhaps I should spend the next few months working on parts 1 and 3 and then when it's warm enough to head up the hills let the other parts take care of themselves. Might buy a Rambo knife as well, will need protection from the wild pigs...

A couple of things we did that I forgot to mention...1, We had a trip to the planetarium at Greenwich which was enjoyable in itself but also chatted to one of the astronomers after the performance about how she got started, equipment etc. 2. We went to an open evening at a local astronomical society and did some stargazing with them.