The Universe

Assuming time travel was something humans were capable of, it would surely be useless. You could travel in time, but where you travel to would that point in the past. As the Earth and indeed the universe is always moving, you'd be travelling to somewhere unknown. Say you time traveled 100 years; you could end up in empty space as at that point in time the Earth would not be in the same place. To be able to travel back in time to a location, you'd need to able to be able to travel in spacetime. This would surely mean that you'd somehow have to plot at least the known galaxy, and calculate the relative speed of the movement of spacetime, and assume that it is constant.

Of course it could be the case that time and space can be plotted in a linear fashion along a line and all you have to figure out is how to travel back and forth along that line. If the energy of the universe is at a constant, i.e. it cannot be created or destroyed but rather altered, then perhaps the passage of space and time follows a set course until eventually the universe exhausts itself and falls back in to a singularity before combustion in to the next big bang? Perhaps it's an infinite loop whereby everything moves at the same time and speed throughout spacetime, forever repeating? Or perhaps the fundamental randomness of the big bang can create an infinite number of possibilities, meaning spacetime can massively differ? 

Or am I talking pish?

53 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Assuming time travel was something humans were capable of, it would surely be useless. You could travel in time, but where you travel to would that point in the past. As the Earth and indeed the universe is always moving, you'd be travelling to somewhere unknown. Say you time traveled 100 years; you could end up in empty space as at that point in time the Earth would not be in the same place. To be able to travel back in time to a location, you'd need to able to be able to travel in spacetime. This would surely mean that you'd somehow have to plot at least the known galaxy, and calculate the relative speed of the movement of spacetime, and assume that it is constant.

Of course it could be the case that time and space can be plotted in a linear fashion along a line and all you have to figure out is how to travel back and forth along that line. If the energy of the universe is at a constant, i.e. it cannot be created or destroyed but rather altered, then perhaps the passage of space and time follows a set course until eventually the universe exhausts itself and falls back in to a singularity before combustion in to the next big bang? Perhaps it's an infinite loop whereby everything moves at the same time and speed throughout spacetime, forever repeating? Or perhaps the fundamental randomness of the big bang can create an infinite number of possibilities, meaning spacetime can massively differ? 

Or am I talking pish?

14 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, the speed of light, you know
Twelve million miles a minute and that's the fastest speed there is

Whoever wrote that is talking shite.13 million miles a minute is faster than that.

• 1 month later...

Nearest potentially habitable world beyond our own solar system found - 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37167390

Always fascinates me when they announce discoveries like this one.  How many more are out there?  If some of them are habitable is there an intelligent life form on them and if so are they finding planets like are own?  Quite the thought

I'm not so keen on these type of announcements, if you actually look beyond the 'help fund us' type statement, they know absolutely nothing about this planet other than it probably exists and it 'should' be in the sweet spot for liquid water. Other than that yes, definitely a potential source of life. :lol:

55 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I'm not so keen on these type of announcements, if you actually look beyond the 'help fund us' type statement, they know absolutely nothing about this planet other than it probably exists and it 'should' be in the sweet spot for liquid water. Other than that yes, definitely a potential source of life. :lol:

Well it definitely does exist.  The obvious downside to its discovery like every other planet found out with our own solar system is the distance it is away from us.  Making it very difficult to study with current technology, it will take years, possibly even decades to find out more about it.  Its discovery alone though is cause enough to celebrate.

Edited by tintax

I think I read some Russian bloke was gonna send a probe to research it, travelling at one-fifth the speed of light. It will take twenty years to get there and the info will take another four years to get back to us.

If they do this, and the probe disappears off the radar a few miles before it reaches its target it's proof that aliens have destroyed it, IMO.

48 minutes ago, Bully Di Villa said:

Exciting stuff. What would it take to prove that a signal came from alien life?

If it says "I come in peace" ?

The older I've gotten the more I've leant towards the side of this debate where it's probably not a good idea to go contacting sentient aliens as they'll highly likely to be quite apex predator-y, it's how evolution works.

Just notice the headline of the link I posted - of course it's fucking extraterrestrial if it's not from here.

12 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

The older I've gotten the more I've leant towards the side of this debate where it's probably not a good idea to go contacting sentient aliens as they'll highly likely to be quite apex predator-y, it's how evolution works.

Yeah, tend to agree. What advantage would a significantly more advanced species have in not enslaving us / taking our shit? I suppose another normal course of action would be to ignore us as we pose no threat.