The Universe

This image of the Space Shuttle Endeavour, which was over 100ft long, gives me the fear. The size of the actu Universe makes me want to spew

If something as tiny as the universe makes you spew, never* read the Wait But Why article about Graham's Number, I've posted it up before.

Also, the size of e.g. the human body on a universal scale is fucking enormous. We're not small.

*Actually, highly recommended reading.

Sending a satellite/spaceship to another solar system by making it tiny and using a laser to boost speed?

30 years instead of 30,000 years apparently.

Still like throwing a pin into the sea and hoping to catch a fish but pretty cool.

Looked convincingly possible to me but I think they'll have to build the laser array on the moon.

Edited by welshbairn

It has taken the light from our nearest major galaxy, Andromeda, 2.5 million years to reach here.

"Hubble reveals an estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe or so, but this number is likely to increase to about 200 billion as telescope technology in space improves"

Edited by FlyerTon

If something as tiny as the universe makes you spew, never* read the Wait But Why article about Graham's Number, I've posted it up before.

Also, the size of e.g. the human body on a universal scale is fucking enormous. We're not small.

Im even worse when people start explaining that when you see a twinkling star, you're actually looking into the past and that particular star could've died before you were even born

Im even worse when people start explaining that when you see a twinkling star, you're actually looking into the past and that particular star could've died before you were even born

It's quite refreshing for me that I know in the grand scheme of all things in our universe, ourselves as physical beings, and our lives, don't really matter. Things will just continue.

Star gazing is a tremendous wee pastime though.

Grahams number pales into insignificance when you consider there's an infinite number of divisions between 0 and 1. Which is the real head f**k imo.

Grahams number pales into insignificance when you consider there's an infinite number of divisions between 0 and 1. Which is the real head f**k imo.

Amusingly, despite Graham's number being the absolute limit in terms of what we can express we know that it ends with a 7.  Of course WMMs number ends in an 8 and is therefore bigger.  Just hope no b*****d comes up with one that ends with a 9  :ph34r:

In starting count up now.

I'll let you know the outcome of MMs number in approximately 595 years time.

Booitsme's post count on the count to a million thread will beat that on its own

There are plenty of stars in the sky that you can see that could've died before humanity even came into existence.

33368OZ.gif Space X managed to land their first stage on a barge at sea. This brings reusable rockets a step closer. They also launched the Bigalow Space inflatable module that aims to make building space stations cheaper. The ISS resupply ship they are using is the model for the next generation manned capsule, an uncrewed version is slotted to fly in December 2016 and if all goes well a crewed flight in April 2017. Perhaps a year till the US regains manned flight status.
  That is a top bit of reversing. Definitely not a woman flying that rocket.
I believed that myth until I read otherwise a couple of years ago - turns out it's a lot of shite and the twinkling is actually the light being refracted once it hits the turbulence in the earth's atmosphere.

There are plenty of stars in the sky that you can see that could've died before humanity even came into existence.

f**k you, you fucking f**k.

I believed that myth until I read otherwise a couple of years ago - turns out it's a lot of shite and the twinkling is actually the light being refracted once it hits the turbulence in the earth's atmosphere.

Wasnt really the twinkling i was on about, but i shall google it just incase

• 3 weeks later...