The Universe

Just watched "Secrets of the Elements" on BBC4 which I learnt a lot from about essential rare elements and how the next space race will likely be about harvesting them from asteroids. Don't hire the presenter as a children's entertainer though.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just watched "Secrets of the Elements" on BBC4 which I learnt a lot from about essential rare elements and how the next space race will likely be about harvesting them from asteroids. Don't hire the presenter as a children's entertainer though.

Paedo?

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Paedo?

No idea but he seemed to bore them or send them to sleep every time they appeared. Could be a tactic. Very informative show about material sciences for someone who knows fuckall about it though. 

Space X trying another launch at the mo, there's a temporary abort at the moment . The fun things are trying to catch the fairings and rockets, both stages. No idea if they'll have coverage, or if it will be postponed.

P.S. It's the first flight of their upgraded version of Falcon 9 so I'd imagine they're being ultra cautious given they have contracts to potentially fly humans up there. P.S. Just looked like they dumped the first stage fuel so it's probably not happening.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The female presenter is genuinely insufferable.

Have to agree. She should dial down her enthusiasm to 6/10 or kicked to scaring  children on CBBC.

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Have to agree. She should dial down her enthusiasm to 6/10 or kicked to scaring  children on CBBC.

Disagree. 

Whilst I am a middle aged drunken man most of the time, I appreciate that not every programme is tailored to me. Her energy might grate a bit to us used to Patrick Moore, but if she gets even a few kids to move from fairytales to Richard Dawkins then all's good.

16 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

Disagree. 

Whilst I am a middle aged drunken man most of the time, I appreciate that not every programme is tailored to me. Her energy might grate a bit to us used to Patrick Moore, but if she gets even a few kids to move from fairytales to Richard Dawkins then all's good.

Are we talking about Maggie?

Wid, btw.

She sounds fine if she's getting interviewed, it's just her presentation style which is annoying.  I think it's based on a bit Patrick Moore  with the short rapid bursts of speech.

4 minutes ago, Tamdunk said:

She sounds fine if she's getting interviewed, it's just her presentation style which is annoying.  I think it's based on a bit Patrick Moore  with the short rapid bursts of speech.

I'd give her a short rapid burst.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Maggie Aderin-Pocock is a fantastic name but I've got to agree that she's insufferable (and I'm not seeing the Wid potential there, Mozza).

but surely, you'd have to given the opportunity simply in order to use up as many inappropriate "space" euphemisms as possible during the coital entanglement - re-entry, event horizon, thrusters, splashdown,  coronal mass ejection, docking procedure, final stage,  impact event, uranus, super-massive black hole....