The Universe

15 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes, I've phrased that poorly.

The liquid there might not be water but another type of liquid. How do they know it's H2O?

Its not a liquid, its a solid (ice). It not only water and includes other substances like hydroxyls and hydroxides.

Space probes can be equipped with spectrometers. These measure the different wavelengths of light being reflected of of solids and liquids, for gases they can measure absorption and emission spectra. We actually discovered the existence of helium from spectroscopes of the Sun before we found it on Earth. Anyway the light being reflected by these blocks of ice is in wavelengths consistent with the substances named above.

2 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Its not a liquid, its a solid (ice). It not only water and includes other substances like hydroxyls and hydroxides.

Space probes can be equipped with spectrometers. These measure the different wavelengths of light being reflected of of solids and liquids, for gases they can measure absorption and emission spectra. We actually discovered the existence of helium from spectroscopes of the Sun before we found it on Earth. Anyway the light being reflected by these blocks of ice is in wavelengths consistent with the substances named above.

So, basically what I said. 

On 23/10/2019 at 12:13, dorlomin said:

South Pole of the Moon has water. The cost of getting a ton of anything into space is pretty big, mostly to get it past the Earths gravity and air resistance. Even with SpaceX its about $3000 per kg at the cheapest. If you have to lift the kgs of water from the Moon it takes something like 1/50th of the rocket fuel or something so much less fuel and in theory cheaper. 

Why 2024, well NASA has a mission for that year slotted for its new rocket the SLS, but only to go around the Moon. The current NASA chief reckons that by turning it into a Moon landing mission, you will only have one presidential election between now and then so both candidates will likely have to commit to such a short term project in an election and it will be much harder to kill it with the public. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_3

Bezos seems to have gotten the contract for the lander, I new they were in the running but had not kept up to date. 

On 23/10/2019 at 12:41, welshbairn said:

The original plan was for 2028 but Trump got Pence to announce 2024 for his own reasons. There isn't a chance in hell they'll be ready by then without an Apollo style boost in funding. The SLS is years behind schedule and they haven't even awarded contracts for most of the other stuff yet. 

I'd be interested in your reasons for disagreeing rather than just a red dot. After all, I politely didn't mention your use of the word "gotten" on a Scottish football site.

Edited by welshbairn

saw something for the first time ever this morning - a sun dog ! was very fucking cool, but had faded a bit by the time i got my shit together and grabbed the phone and some pics

here's the technical bollocks from wikipedia - i'm amazed that there is confusion about the name - surely it's the same as 'fire dogs' - the sides of a big metal grate on either side of a fire, with the 'sun dogs' being either side of the sun; could only see one this morning though, t'other one was a bit too far round to the left...

PHOTO-2019-11-03-10-14-49.thumb.jpg.c40325b24df3f189bb20367ab4341b58.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-03-10-15-10.thumb.jpg.3ec42070552cf16a1e6a5d2c3990628e.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-03-10-17-42.thumb.jpg.ceb3d100b02017d18c21cc3b81ee0a9f.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-03-10-17-58.thumb.jpg.e2eb2177d6d1c639977d546938a92bfb.jpg

Edited by Herman Hessian

On 24/10/2019 at 17:25, welshbairn said:

I'd be interested in your reasons for disagreeing rather than just a red dot. After all, I politely didn't mention your use of the word "gotten" on a Scottish football site.

Only allowed in context , “ I’ll gotten gains” , otherwise , feel free to chastise 

40 minutes ago, Fide said:

EIm5_69WoAEweGl.jpg

Olympus Mons on Mars is 22 km high but its base is the equivalent in area of Great Britain.  So although it is a mountain, this would not be obvious if you were standing on it.

Interesting that many examples are from moons and asteroids that lack the gravity to be more flat.

I recall someone saying that if you adjust for scale the Earth is smoother than a billiard ball.

Edited by Fullerene

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Olympus Mons on Mars is 22 km high but its base is the equivalent in area of Great Britain.  So although it is a mountain, this would not be obvious if you were standing on it.

Interesting that many examples are from moons and asteroids that lack the gravity to be more flat.

I recall someone saying that if you adjust for scale the Earth is smoother than a billiard ball.

Yup, Olympus Mons is a behemoth.

Image result for olympus mons france