Dreadful Cover Versions

everything about this is bad, from the first 2 mins 20secs of the video where the song hasn't even started yet to just being downright terrible when it does

beat that IMO

Edited by itzdrk

It's not his call. Anyone can cover anyone else's songs, they don't need permission. As long as the writer of the song gets the credits and the royalties, there's nothing they can do about it.

I am sure if you hold the rights, you get to kibosh any cover versions released. It doesn't stop the street busker from singing the songs but it does stop the "professionals" from ruining them.

The Scissor Sisters version of "Comfortably Numb" ought to have been punishable by disembowelment by beavers.

^^^ This!!!

In the "Sacred Grand List of Songs That Shan't Be Touched" Comfortably Numb must be No.1!!!

What about;

Tainted Love by The Pussycat Dolls

The Tide is high by Atomic Kitten

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Tori Amos

Sweeet Child of Mine by Sheryl Crow

Under The Bridge by All Saints

Chop Suey by Avril Lavigne

You Shook Me All Night Long by Celine Dion

Check them out on YouTube, they are earbleedingly appalling!!!

:lol:

I didn't know that existed, I do now and honestly I haven't laughed so much in ages! It's as if she forgets the lyrics half way through...

Edit: There is not enough public ridicule that this can tolerate, so up onto Facebook it goes and with luck spread around.

Edited by Ric

Every second advert or football match VT these seems to feature some high pitched bellend woman (there's a few of them) ruining a decent song with a painfully slow, whispery accoustic cover. Usually featuring some tingly tangly instruments like a fucking harp.

I've no idea who's responsible for this but it has to stop.

WHAT? :lol:

The original version of Hurt by NIN blows the Cash version clean out of the water.

Yup. There's also the version they'd been doing on the tour of "Year Zero" which was even better.

I remember hearing Biffy Clyro covering "Buddy Holly" by Weezer and wanting to chop my own ears off.

^^^ This!!!

In the "Sacred Grand List of Songs That Shan't Be Touched" Comfortably Numb must be No.1!!!

What about;

Tainted Love by The Pussycat Dolls

The Tide is high by Atomic Kitten

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Tori Amos

Sweeet Child of Mine by Sheryl Crow

Under The Bridge by All Saints

You Shook Me All Night Long by Celine Dion

Check them out on YouTube, they are earbleedingly appalling!!!

You just brought back the deeply buried horrific memory of that little ginger whiner Ed Sheehan ruining Floyd at the Olympics last year - I think it was the closing ceremony?

Edited by Audaces Fortuna Juvat

I am sure if you hold the rights, you get to kibosh any cover versions released.

No, you don't.

EDIT - I should add that you WOULD need permission from the songwriter(s) should you wish to change any of the words in the song. So, for example, if you were an RnB artist covering an Aretha Franklin song, but wanted to change a bit of the chorus or add in some ad-lib rapping, you could be taken to court by Franklin. Then it would count as plagiarism or something. It's quite a murky subject. I think most people who cover songs ask the composers out of courtesy, but it's not required.

Edited by StewartyMac

Those Radio 1 live lounge albums have some real horrors. I remember our science teacher, who always tried to be a cool teacher brought one of the albums in on our last day of school. He was all chuffed with himself. Bless.

There's also a wonderful "Bad Romance" cover on one of the Pop Goes Punk lot.

its all so hit & miss though those albums

for every bad romance there is a super bass