Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Just now, gannonball said:

FFS are they still trying to pander this as a culture?

Racism,Sectarian standings and general intolerance of anything that isn't to do with them is not a f*cking culture.

What about burning massive stacks of pallets next to people's houses? Surely that has to be cultural. 

To be fair it is cultural insofar as it's a custom/social behaviour of a particular society or part of a society but that's not to say it's not laughable, pathetic, a nuisance or worthy of censure. 

To be fair a group as large as the Celtic support will have its fair share of racism and I'm sure examples will be dragged up about racist things Celtic supporters have done. I do however think there is something more inherently racist about a triumphalist, right-wing, supremacist ideology. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

As you know both parties expected to do much better. Come election day people came to their senses. The rise of racist populism was a temporary blip that the example of Trump has helped to quash, at least in Western Europe.

Meanwhile we are heading for a hard Brexit, because the Tories have morphed into a watered down clone of UKIP. The problem isn't so much whether the populists win, UKIP never did, it is the effect they have on the mainstream parties in normalising policies that a decade ago would have been unthinkable. 

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Meanwhile we are heading for a hard Brexit, because the Tories have morphed into a watered down clone of UKIP. The problem isn't so much whether the populists win, UKIP never did, it is the effect they have on the mainstream parties in normalising policies that a decade ago would have been unthinkable. 

I think it's called shifting the "Overton Window".

16 minutes ago, Henke said:

THE People telling the natives of Ireland on the island of Ireland to go home!! Okaaaay:blink:

Doesn't Sheila have a lovely bottom? Of course, they all have lovely bottoms. 

18 hours ago, Cerberus said:

The Orange Walk is a lot of shite but it's important for freedom of speech that people can march if they want to.
Suck it up and be glad that you don't live in a country where they'd put you in jail for peaceful assembly.

Pretty much my way of thinking.  We can't just ban things we don't like, however regarding their marches, I believe more pressure should be put on the OO in regards to who follow them.  The OO go to of "they're nothing to do with us" whenever there is trouble is a lot of shite.  Yes, the may not be members but it's no coincidence that a bunch of toothless drunks just happen to be on the streets.  They are there because the OO are there and it's time they faced up to that responsibility.

For the interest of fairness, there is due to be a fair sized Republican march through Glasgow city centre some time next month.  So if you fancy seeing cheap suits, tracksuits and one size fits all band uniforms but from a 'those who kick with the left foot' point of view, be sure to get yourself along.

Pretty much my way of thinking.  We can't just ban things we don't like, however regarding their marches, I believe more pressure should be put on the OO in regards to who follow them.  The OO go to of "they're nothing to do with us" whenever there is trouble is a lot of shite.  Yes, the may not be members but it's no coincidence that a bunch of toothless drunks just happen to be on the streets.  They are there because the OO are there and it's time they faced up to that responsibility.
For the interest of fairness, there is due to be a fair sized Republican march through Glasgow city centre some time next month.  So if you fancy seeing cheap suits, tracksuits and one size fits all band uniforms but from a 'those who kick with the left foot' point of view, be sure to get yourself along.

There used to be an annual James Connolly Parade down Easter Road but the organisers stopped it just after the Good Friday Agreement, in a stunning outbreak of sense.

I think there still might be one in Edinburgh somewhere. I think there was a bit of trouble at a Republican march recently.

On a tangent, does anyone know if any band has ever used a flute band on a record?

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

There used to be an annual James Connolly Parade down Easter Road but the organisers stopped it just after the Good Friday Agreement, in a stunning outbreak of sense.

I think there still might be one in Edinburgh somewhere. I think there was a bit of trouble at a Republican march recently.

On a tangent, does anyone know if any band has ever used a flute band on a record?

The James Connolly Parade was still going on up until about 2009, if I remember correctly.  Following a short break, it's back with a bang...no pun intended.

A record as in a vinyl?

21 minutes ago, Duszek said:

I'm curious. What actually happens at an Orange Order meeting? Do people sit around and discuss religion, politics, etc? Do they sing hymns? Do they do anything, or is it just some sort of social club for fucktards?

Think it's a bit like the cubs and scouts. They do little tasks then get rewarded with badges that they can sew onto their sash.

"I'll tell me ma" by Van Morrison with the Chieftains breaks into an instrumental version of "the sash my father wore" at the end.

Does that count?

2 hours ago, Duszek said:

I'm curious. What actually happens at an Orange Order meeting? Do people sit around and discuss religion, politics, etc? Do they sing hymns? Do they do anything, or is it just some sort of social club for fucktards?

Guess getting shot of Pedro must be top of the agenda.

Btw, do Orangemen all support The Rangers or do you get "Nae time for awe that nonsense" cross community ones?

32 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Btw, do Orangemen all support The Rangers or do you get "Nae time for awe that nonsense" cross community ones?

My knowledge is more than a generation old but, in my day, in LOL 328 in Motherwell, a fair few weren't that interested in football.  Of those that were, most supported Motherwell.  We had a couple of Airdrie fans and Accies supporter.  We also had a few 'nominal' Sevconians.  Only me and and 2 others would actively follow follow and we could get back for the monthly lodge meeting if it coincided with a home game but not if it was a trip north or east.

So the Rangers/OO link is a bit exaggerated wrt lodge members.  I'm pretty sure that the Grand Master of the GOL of Scotland was a Jambo.  I certainly wrote a couple of articles for The Orange Torch after I went to Uni and the then editor was also a Hearts man.

Anyway, a great day for celebrating the establishment of a constitutional monarchy and avowing the supremacy of parliament.  Hope the lads and lassies in loyal orders had a happy and tuneful day out.

Edited by The_Kincardine