Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Really wish I was in Belfast to ask a guy burning a fleg with emblazoned with 'KAT' (presumably short for Kathryn) what AV Dicey's take would be on the effect the Human Rights Act has on parliamentary sovereignty. Y'know cause they're so into constitutional law and definitely not mindless redneck bigots.

7 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I agree it attracts brain dead idiots but so do all sorts of other events- dance music festivals, some football matches, beaches on hot days but I don't think that's justification for prohibiting these things.

The overwhelming majority of parades are celebratory in nature without a hint of animosity. The only bother I have ever in my entire life seem at any parades was between airdrie fans and Motherwell fans, some gang fighting between schemes at Glasgow green and one time a brawl between 2 bands with opposing associations during a time of a feud in Northern Ireland.

I'm not religious. However I appreciate the influence of events which are celebrated on shaping the future course of the country for the better. I think that it's a valued part of large parts of Scottish working class culture and brings a sense of community to many places. Bands and lodges often make significant contributions to their local communities.

I don't dispute the fact there are brain dead morons associated with it. However, these are often exaggerated and pounced on by opponents who are motivated by complete intolerance of the full culture. When I see such intolerance on here then I will highlight it.....if the intolerant poster in question is worthy of responding to.

When does stuff like dance music events or beaches on hot days operate in parallel with kids walking to school while adults scream abuse at them?
These comparisons aren't even remotely close. I'm bewildered as to the level of whataboutery that you're trying to establish.

The Orange Order was imported from Ireland. It has little to do with Scottish culture, it is an immigrant phenomenon. Nothing wrong with that, of course, if it wasn't a thoroughly objectionable institution.

When does stuff like dance music events or beaches on hot days operate in parallel with kids walking to school while adults scream abuse at them?
These comparisons aren't even remotely close. I'm bewildered as to the level of whataboutery that you're trying to establish.

Exactly. That post by Fashanu is an embarrassment. No surprise to see him try and justify it though, horrible.

It's more like the equivalent of a large group of dance music fans having an event where they walk through a town full of goths blaring their Cascada and shouting abuse at them for liking Bullet For My Valentine instead. [emoji1]

1 minute ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

The cultures of Scotland and Ulster and Scotland and Ireland are completely intertwined as a result of mass migrations in both directions over centuries.

Odd then when orange types tell people the famine is over so they should all go home.

Edited by The OP

Thankfully the UK don't shoot the local citizenry

10 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The Orange Walk is a lot of shite but it's important for freedom of speech that people can march if they want to.
Suck it up and be glad that you don't live in a country where they'd put you in jail for peaceful assembly.

Or shoot you.

Oh haud own........

The kids going to school wasn't anything to do with the orange order? That was another in a long list of complete and utter stupid decisions and PR disaster by the unionist community in reaction to completely understandable frustrations after continual attacks and intimidation.

What? My point is not that such incidents are intrinsically linked to the Orange Order (although I would challenge you to truthfully claim that there's no crossover in people involved).

My point is that I don't think it's appropriate to seek an equivalence like "you get assholes everywhere" when discussing this. It's a situation that needs to be discussed uniquely.
People at music festivals don't go with the intention of hating people not at music festivals. They don't attack or threaten those that don't go.

These scenarios simply aren't comparable.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

The Orange Walk is a lot of shite but it's important for freedom of speech that people can march if they want to.
Suck it up and be glad that you don't live in a country where they'd put you in jail for peaceful assembly.

No one has a problem with peaceful assembly.

If it was about celebrating and nothing else, why not hire a field somewhere and march around it to your heart's content? No, it's about rubbing people's noses in it and helping some of life's losers feel a bit better about themselves for the duration of it, before they go back to their squalid little lives. Keep on marching though. It's good point and laugh material for the rest of us.

What a load of utter rubbish. The vast majority of people who go to parades go for the exact same reasons folk attend music festivals- listen to the music and join in a celebration with other like minded individuals.

As for attacking those who don't attend??? There was 50,000 people in Glasgow last weekend for the big walk and only 8 arrests (for minor offences) and with police applying a far more aggressive approach than they do to any other public gathering.

Apart from urinating in a public place.
They weren't aggressive with that law.