Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

55 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I'm not if you read up about Coogan and his upbringing you will understand why. He's a clever guy and  his stuff can go over my head as well.

I don't need to read up on a comedian's origin story to appreciate their material.

Sheesh... heavily turning into Buzz Killington.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Seems to be a big uptick in frenzied posters obsessed with the historic events of the Dutch over the English. I guess there is f**k all else to do when you are bed bound after falling off a pile of pallets.

Really the Dutch and their allies (who included the Pope :wacko:) versus the French - then as now Ireland was just a side issue.

Sir Edward Carson summed it up best...... 

I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power.

13 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’m not particularly fond of McEwans Export but I’m not going judge people who  do like it

Cosplay might be taking that enthusiasm a little bit too far though

IMG_0080.jpeg

Note he still has both hands. 3/10 for commitment to the role play.

I’m in south Devon which means I’m missing Scotlands T20 matches in the European qualifiers

we beat Germany yesterday and are on track to beat Jersey today

while eating ice cream strolling through the charming Torbay harbour town of Brixham I saw they had a massive statue of William of orange to mark the bicentennial of him landing there in 1688

which led me to wonder why he landed in South Devon which is a long way from both Holland and London 

can any of the 17th century history buffs on this thread elucidate?

IMG_1704.jpeg

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’m in south Devon which means I’m missing Scotlands T20 matches in the European qualifiers

we beat Germany yesterday and are on track to beat Jersey today

while eating ice cream strolling through the charming Torbay harbour town of Brixham I saw they had a massive statue of William of orange to mark the bicentennial of him landing there in 1688

which led me to wonder why he landed in South Devon which is a long way from both Holland and London 

can any of the 17th century history buffs on this thread elucidate?

IMG_1704.jpeg

I have staggered past that a few times and wondered the same.

With kinky gone, Google gave me this.

Full article

In response to an invitation of seven peers (the so-called Immortal Seven) to invade England in order to preserve Protestantism, to investigate the true parentage of James II's child, and to call a 'free' Parliament, the Dutch ruler William of Orange landed at Brixham with an invasion force on 5 November 1688 and proceeded to march on London.

Being a non historian like 79%  of the posters on here.

I'll just make up

After the Neptune landing, he ovbiuosly looked and read the pre history.  The question was Isle of white of Devon or plymouth. As Plymouth had a home game that Saturday against Blackpool, the decition was made.  The Orange met the pool.

Sad fact, Blackpool actually played in blue that day, but changed to orange after 36 mins.

Final score 134/7 bad light, early start the next morning, with a 10 min tea

Another piece of trivia about King William II (to give him his proper Scottish title) is that he set sail for Carrickfergus and the future battles at the Boyne and Aughrim (anniversary is today and it was the original focus of 12th celebrations on the old Julian Calendar) from Hoylake on Merseyside where the Open Championship is being held this year.

His choice of destination in Ulster that time probably revolved around where he had the most reliable local support base on the island of Ireland so maybe it was the same with Brixham where the island of Great Britain was concerned.

On 16/07/2023 at 11:50, Samuel Corrigan said:

Well said.

For a while this was a safe space where they went unchallenged, but that has changed recently.

Ah, yes. Safe Spaces to go unchallenged for your bigotry, and for it to be shared. Because that's a sensible thing to have...

He probably stopped there as the Dutch get BBC telly and it features Brixham a lot on these Fish Town/Trawlemen shows. The town is filled with swivel eyed gammon harbour defending patriots so he knew it was his sort of demographic and he would be warmly welcomed. The local council probably even planned a wee parade for him as those fisher folk like these sort of pageants too. Like a Larkhall with added crabs.

10 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

He probably stopped there as the Dutch get BBC telly and it features Brixham a lot on these Fish Town/Trawlemen shows. The town is filled with swivel eyed gammon harbour defending patriots so he knew it was his sort of demographic and he would be warmly welcomed. The local council probably even planned a wee parade for him as those fisher folk like these sort of pageants too. Like a Larkhall with added crabs.

I started watching that series, channel hopping, and initially thought it was about Brixton (my hearing is not the best). 

When it was all whiteys and it was set on the coast it began to dawn on me.

12 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I started watching that series, channel hopping, and initially thought it was about Brixton (my hearing is not the best). 

When it was all whiteys and it was set on the coast it began to dawn on me.

The harbour and the lido were worth a visit and the replica of Francis Drake’s  ship the golden hind is actually quite cool

but the number of  bungalows with union Jack flagpoles as we drove through the back of the town on the way out was a bit disconcerting 

it’s still not as shit as Torquay at the other end of the bay.