Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

You don't like them?

ALL of them?

I don't like what the church stands for and its fundamental principles

Few of my pals are Catholic but they don't start any of their carry on around me out of general respect for my beliefs

I don't like any religion, so I'm an equal opportunities infidel.

Me either but i prefer protestants over caths because of the hood I'm from

Also because i don't approve of molesting young boys and covering it up on a national scale but I'm quite unreasonable like that

Show me where I appeared to play the victim card please?

Both sides suffered greatly and always have, but the simple fact is that the OO were founded out of this strife with a view to protecting themselves. The moralities of either side are of no interest to me, and this thread will soon get bogged down by all sorts of warped views, so I intend keeping my input to a minimum. I just wonder at the vehemence of some posters on here, although I am not referring to you.

You made out that sectarianism played no part in their formation and that their formation was purely because of attacks on rural Protestants by Catholics.

This glosses over the bitterness felt about Catholics increasing social position, the ongoing two-sided religious conflict at the time (as opposed to rural Protestants minding their own business), the fact that Catholic groups also proclaimed themselves 'Defenders' and the fact that right after their formation they didn't limit themselves to defence but instead attacked Catholics without discrimination (or with discrimination, if you will) and drove 7000 of them out of Armagh.

Edited by The OP

Me either but i prefer protestants over caths because of the hood I'm from

Also because i don't approve of molesting young boys and covering it up on a national scale but I'm quite unreasonable like that

Because of the hood I'm from?! You realise how ridiculous that sounds both in sentiment and the fact you used hood like your from inner-city america.

Because of the hood I'm from?! You realise how ridiculous that sounds both in sentiment and the fact you used hood like your from inner-city america.

I was just being silly - I'm feeling light headed this evening due to carbon monoxide poisoning from my oven

wigga-please.gif

I like it - thanks :)

If you're reading this thread then you're clearly interested in relations between Northern Irish Protestants and the rest of the islands population as well as being fascinated by all forms of cricket particularly the international game outside the test playing nations.

You'll thus be interested to know that Northern Irish divine comedy frontman, and son of an anglican bishop, Neil Hannon joined forces with Dublin singer-songwriter Thomas Walsh to form a duo called The Duckworth Lewis Method that sing about cricket. The released their second album, "Sticky Wickets", this year.

http://www.dlmethod.co.uk/audio/releases/the-duckworth-lewis-method

They also came up with and alternative Irish national anthem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuUcAjuWjQ

Nice generalisation. You'll get lots of greenies from your Celtic buddies for that effort.

They can green dot me if they want, I don't even check it.

And orangemen freely choose to join a sectarian hate group which every fucking year instigates violence and chaos on the streets of NI when they're refused permission to march through areas where they're not welcome.

So I don't buy the whole "he's an orangeman but he's really a nice guy" pish.

No, The Irish cricket team is represented by players from Ireland, nothing about north or south, looks to me they think sport has f**k all to do with politics.

They are looking to progress to Test status, this would stop the current tide of players who go on to play for England just because they have resided there, Morgan and Joyce being 2 examples.

Think Egg Chasing is the same IIRC.

Weird they have some sports are deemed worthy of partition and some are not.

All part of life in a borderline failed state that's riven by sectarian, fairy in the sky conflict, I suppose.

Not a lot of point following up the LOL related posts, because I seriously doubt that most of the people spewing bile about that particular organisation are actually interested in intelligent discussion of the topic as opposed to an exchange of tribalistic insults. If anyone is interested in how the UK's Glorious Revolution related constitution shapes its modern politics and culture in a way that makes it markedly different from most other western countries (the LOL is just one manifestation of that) I'd recommend the writings of Tom Nairn as being worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nairn

Not a lot of point following up the LOL related posts, because I seriously doubt that most of the people spewing bile about that particular organisation are actually interested in intelligent discussion of the topic as opposed to an exchange of tribalistic insults. If anyone is interested in how the UK's Glorious Revolution related constitution shapes its modern politics and culture in a way that makes it markedly different from most other western countries (the LOL is just one manifestation of that) I'd recommend the writings of Tom Nairn as being worth a look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Nairn

How many members of the LOL (incidentally, is there a more appropriate acronym in the entire world) are interested in intelligent discussion of the topic as opposed to an exchange of tribalistic insults"?

I don't count any LOL members among my friends, but I know a fair few of them, and without exception they are ruddy-faced MUSSUS BUNFIELDS who are only interested in a big GIRUY to "them".