Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

8 hours ago, GTee said:

Are these typically overweight older lads 'celebrating' something that happened around 350 years ago?

The video is very monotonous as the same 'Defenders'  and 'Volunteers' wobble past. One drummer almost assaulting a spectator. A marcher shouting ' No surrender' to the camera. It's all a bit strange. Some of the marchers seem to be expecting some adulation from the audience. But l have no idea what they have 'achieved'. Other than turning up wearing some outlandish uniform. 

It's so tragic. It's hard not to keep on viewing in case the guys with the batons don't go mental when they drop them.

Thankfully not too many kids are being brainwashed by this madness, but still too many. 

If someone could enlighten me as to what is going on. I would be like to know. 

It's definitely dying out, the average age appears to be increasing every year. 

The enthusiastic young team who turn up in the Rangers tops lack the organisation or gumption to carry on the baton, so to speak. 

They'll burn brighter as they leave us though unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

It's definitely dying out, the average age appears to be increasing every year. 

The enthusiastic young team who turn up in the Rangers tops lack the organisation or gumption to carry on the baton, so to speak. 

They'll burn brighter as they leave us though unfortunately. 

Nobody would seriously argue that these are great musicians or great tunes but to actually learn the an instrument to a workmanlike amateur level, turn up for rehearsals and play in public takes some commitment.

The intersection of the Venn diagram containing people with the gumption to do that but not enough gumption to do something better with their time will shrink over time

Maybe given time Larkhall will become a 21st century hotbed of Flute based Jazz Funk 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

On 09/07/2023 at 14:40, Empty It said:

Amazed that health and safety allows this tbh, probably scared the bigots would riot if they were told no, they're not the most reasonable of people.

They fairly regularly burn folks houses down which after the first time you would think they would put a stop to it. Regardless of the fact the burn effigies of religions and political leaders im not sure it's the best use of public money for the fire brigade to put out fires caused by these bonfires.

Friend from Belfast sent me the image below and asked what I thought would be a suitable caption.  Rather obviously, I suggested Radges Wear Badges.  Turns out the story shows an unexpected glimpse of civility.

103549038-4abd2685-7287-4d54-b639-76eb507b8937.jpg

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2023/07/10/news/orange_order_lodges_applaud_the_derry_minor_all-ireland_champions-3423171/

2 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I've been to it. It's a toss up between the two of them to be honest.

They both include balloons tbf, but I don't think Spongebob & Snoopy will tell you Bobby Sands is deid.

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Average BMI is around 92 in both cases. 

Is Macy's day not in New York? 

I think they kind of buck the trend when it comes to obesity. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

The parades typically build up to 12 July celebrations marking Prince William of Orange's victory over King James II & VII at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690

Is this the reality? How on earth can you 'celebrate' something, which happened hundreds of years before your lifetime.

Did William's army beat James's army by battering them into submission with flutes and drums.

I await a simple explanation for this march. 👍

This place is a goldmine. It's a certainty.
I mean, these are people who've been
abandoned by their political class.
But at least they have what we don't...
A sense of identity.
The Battle of the Boyne
was fought on the 11th of July, 1690,
between two rival claimants of
the British and Irish thrones,
James II, Catholic,
and William of Orange, Protestant.
The battle was decisive.
The Protestants won.
But 400 years later,
the uncompromising and victorious loyalists
now feel estranged from the
modern, secular United Kingdom.
The sectarian songs have been banned,
but they still gather
and remain loyal to the victory of 1690,
and to a simpler, less tolerant time.

But if nothing else,
history has shown us very clearly
these are people
whom it is unwise to provoke.

With all this marching that goes on you’d expect them to be fit rather than fat. 

All rather sad that in this day and age this “tradition” still goes on. Surely these bonfires are now deemed as illegal? How the fcuk is that relevant in todays society?

Glad to see that the weather forecast today for Northern Ireland and Scotland is Wet Wet Wet. Might give the scum a chance for a wash.

Happy Twelfth to all posters, especially @Wee Bully.

About to tuck into a fry then do a small local parade, followed by our main one in Loughbrickland.

Great to hear the Craigyhill bonfire raised over £5000 for sick child Pia Grace who is undergoing cancer treatment.  Tallest bonfire in the world and capturing positive national media attention.

@Tony Ferrino will be disappointed that the high winds didn't topple it before lighting.

Have a great day all.

13 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

About to tuck into a fry then do a small local parade, followed by our main one in Loughbrickland.

Great to hear the Craigyhill bonfire raised over £5000 for sick child Pia Grace who is undergoing cancer treatment.  Tallest bonfire in the world and capturing positive national media attention.

@Tony Ferrino will be disappointed that the high winds didn't topple it before lighting.

Have a great day all.

Much as I like the idea of raising money for charity surely the value of the pallets is worth way more than £5000? Could you not have just donated the value of the pallets? 

Many cancers are linked to burning such items. But it’s ok you deep fry your last remaining brain cells. Parade to your hearts content. 

7 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Much as I like the idea of raising money for charity surely the value of the pallets is worth way more than £5000? Could you not have just donated the value of the pallets? 

Many cancers are linked to burning such items. But it’s ok you deep fry your last remaining brain cells. Parade to your hearts content. 

His Uncle Billy once made a pallet out of a coffee table. 

Say what you like about Orangemen, but they're not stupid. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

2 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

This place is a goldmine. It's a certainty.
I mean, these are people who've been
abandoned by their political class.
But at least they have what we don't...
A sense of identity.
The Battle of the Boyne
was fought on the 11th of July, 1690,
between two rival claimants of
the British and Irish thrones,
James II, Catholic,
and William of Orange, Protestant.
The battle was decisive.
The Protestants won.
But 400 years later,
the uncompromising and victorious loyalists
now feel estranged from the
modern, secular United Kingdom.
The sectarian songs have been banned,
but they still gather
and remain loyal to the victory of 1690,
and to a simpler, less tolerant time.

But if nothing else,
history has shown us very clearly
these are people
whom it is unwise to provoke.

Actually fought on July 1st, it was amended to Legs Eleventh when the Pope changed the calendar - due to complex EuroPolitics William of Orange was representing The Pope that day. :rolleyes:

It was a different battle Aughrim that was fought on the 12th or should that be Two Little Ducks the 22nd?

In the big scheme of things William did us all a big favour hunting his father in law.

The Stuarts were a waste of space.

Okay it took about a decade here or there to push democracy on a bit but it was a start.

By 1918 things looked a little bit better on the old voting front.

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

Have a great day all.

I’m not surprised about the fry tbh.  Not seen a slim Orangeman yet.