Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

41 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Any culture that (at 3.30 for instance) feels “f**k the Pope” is relevant is not a “vibrant , living tradition”. It is a group of scumbags that should be chased from modern society. 

I say this as an ordained elder in the Church of Scotland. There is nothing in my “Presbyterian tradition” that supports this.  Utter, utter scum. 

And if you watch it properly, you'll notice that the marchers didn't say that line.

If you really are a Christian, never mind an Elder, then you shouldn't calling people scum and talking about chasing them from society.  I say that as an ex-C of S member who switched denominations because of what the C of S has become. 

Edited by DiamondDan

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Was going to say this and also “Orange culture”. They think they can just stick culture on the end of anything and that will make it seem normal 

One can also culture bacteria and mold. I'd put "Orange" and "Loyalist" culture in the same Petri dish as them.

Still, each to his or her own. Just hope nobody gets hurt if the towering inferno collapses.

58 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

And if you watch it properly, you'll notice that the marchers didn't say that line.

There is a bit of a hierarchy with these things. As I understand it, the OO themselves do tend to be on their best behaviour on the 12th, while the bands behind them are more prone to involving themselves with sectarian shitebaggery, and it's anyone's guess as to what the random punters lining the streets will get up to.

It's the event itself, and the baggage around it, that's the symptom of the problem - the OO membership could well avoid doing anything remotely sectarian at these marches, but these are still events where suitably-inclined people will feel they have a license to shout sectarian slogans, or display quasi-genocidal slogans on their bonfires (I'll be surprised if you don't find a few instances of "KAT" or "ATAT" in the July 11th bonfires this year) or whatever.

1 hour ago, DiamondDan said:

If you really are a Christian, never mind an Elder, then you shouldn't calling people scum and talking about chasing them from society.  I say that as an ex-C of S member who switched denominations because of what the C of S has become. 

Just the “followers on”?  

An utter abdication of any responsibility.  Happy to be a Christian and call these people scum.  Being a Christian is not about sitting there watching people trying to appropriate your beliefs and letting them.  

And of course you are an “ex CofS member”.  I would hope you would be chased from any self-respecting congregation.  

9 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

There is a bit of a hierarchy with these things. As I understand it, the OO themselves do tend to be on their best behaviour on the 12th, while the bands behind them are more prone to involving themselves with sectarian shitebaggery, and it's anyone's guess as to what the random punters lining the streets will get up to.

It's the event itself, and the baggage around it, that's the symptom of the problem - the OO membership could well avoid doing anything remotely sectarian at these marches, but these are still events where suitably-inclined people will feel they have a license to shout sectarian slogans, or display quasi-genocidal slogans on their bonfires (I'll be surprised if you don't find a few instances of "KAT" or "ATAT" in the July 11th bonfires this year) or whatever.

A sensible post and one I agree with wholeheartedly.

We should do more to moderate the behaviour of bands, although believe it or not their decorum has improved a lot in recent years.  For every incident of band misbehaviour, you'll have ten others where there is no misbehaviour at all.  It's still a work in progress though.

The bonfires, some of which are an embarrassment, aren't an OO thing at all, but there is unfortunately an element of guilt by association.

Burning the flag of another nation on a bonfire is deplorable.

26 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Just the “followers on”?  

An utter abdication of any responsibility.  Happy to be a Christian and call these people scum.  Being a Christian is not about sitting there watching people trying to appropriate your beliefs and letting them.  

And of course you are an “ex CofS member”.  I would hope you would be chased from any self-respecting congregation.  

If you're a Christian then you're not putting it into practice in this instance.  Granted we are all sinners, but we should still strive not to be.

And no, I've not been chased away from my congregation and they are well aware of my OO membership.

I wish you all the best.

Edited by DiamondDan

5 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

If you're a Christian then you're not putting it into practice in this instance.  Granted we are all sinners, but we should still strive not to be.

And no, I've not been chased away from my congregation and they are well aware of my OO membership.

I wish you all the best.

Love the sinner, hate the sin.  However, you show no contrition for being a scumbag, so I’ll stick with my position.

”I’ve not been chased away”, but i am “ex”...  I’m sure they are aware of your OO membership, and think as highly of it as I do.  There is no debate here - The Orange Order is a scummy society full of scummy people.  The literal dregs of humanity.  It is only right that this is pointed out to them as vehemently as possible so they can consider the error of their ways.  

Edited by Wee Bully

15 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

How do even build a pile of pallets that high, do they use a crane? (not that i'm planning on buildings one!)

Chain of guys precariously clinging on, each passing a pallet up to the guy above him. One guy literally died last year falling off last year's bonfire in Craigyhill.

5 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Chain of guys precariously clinging on, each passing a pallet up to the guy above him. One guy literally died last year falling off last year's bonfire in Craigyhill.

Giant loss to society. 

31 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

I wish you all the best.

Don't waste your time arguing against hateful bigotry mate.....I doubt he goes to Church.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Are we lumping Star Wars fans in with the LOL now too?

7 hours ago, doulikefish said:

£12 a pop for a pallet aswell 

I'm surprised that there's not a global pallet shortage, they must use hundred of thousands of them.

3 hours ago, Aim Here said:

That's mental, it must take them ages, what a waste of time