Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

32 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Seems a strange question to ask considering Orangemen don’t do that.

What are they doing then? Genuinely I thought it was celebrating the victory of King William?

On 08/07/2024 at 02:25, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Low income Tory voters can do a 30 minute drive from Antrim to Larne as a treat.

Nobody in Northern Ireland votes Tory. 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I sometimes wonder why this event has become very tribal. Guy Fawkes was religiously and politically motivated, but is remembered by everyone.

The Catholic church stance on gay people back in the day possibly a reason for some folk not, erm, getting behind old Billy Boy perhaps? The proddies obviously a more tolerant bunch and show their appreciation and solidarity by coming out to bat for him every year in their brightly coloured, flamboyant and mostly tight fitting costumes.

The only explanation imho. 

1 minute ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

They are.

As you were then I was right first time round. Strange thing eh. 

wonder what if there would be a conga if the Scientologists invaded to send Chuck and Camilla to France?

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

As you were then I was right first time round. Strange thing eh. 

wonder what if there would be a conga if the Scientologists invaded to send Chuck and Camilla to France?

You didn’t say that first time round.

You muttered something ridiculous about religious terrorists.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

He didn’t win. We can all unite behind failures. Maybe people will eventually celebrate the Nazis invading and giving up the Channel Islands. As King William of Orange and his missus were the last successful military invasion of England that period of success is just not worth getting excited about.

I thought Guy Fawkes night was about celebrating him getting caught. Burning an effigy of someone seems a funny way to unite behind them. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I thought Guy Fawkes night was about celebrating him getting caught. Burning an effigy of someone seems a funny way to unite behind them. 

I’ve always celebrated it as a “at least you tried” day. I guess it’s all things to all people.

maybe there are orange men marching about because they are heavy into flute music

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Certainly a bit of that going on

I absolutely didn’t set that up for the tap in. No siree

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why do they burn pallets?

While Jesus was doing his miracles and carpentry stuff Virgin Mary was bored and noticed all the offcuts laying about, it was at this time Virgin Mary invented the wooden Europallet. Their hate for her is displayed in their burning of as many Europallets as possible to show their God how much they love him/ her/ they/ she/ it etc.....

5 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

While Jesus was doing his miracles and carpentry stuff Virgin Mary was bored and noticed all the offcuts laying about, it was at this time Virgin Mary invented the wooden Europallet. Their hate for her is displayed in their burning of as many Europallets as possible to show their God how much they love him/ her/ they/ she/ it etc.....

The Norn Iron Brexiteers must insist on ImperialPallets, amirite ?

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why do they burn pallets?

It’s a long held desire to appear on breakfast television. One of them misheard Rage Against The Machine as ‘some of those that burn pallets/will get on Timmy Mallett’. They keep it going even tho Timmy hasn’t been on the telly for 30 years. Traditions and culture are important.