Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Tenuous connection to the KKK aside, is it okay to criticize the Orange Order for being a backwards, small-minded, bigoted, triumphalist, supremacist organization, all of whose members are halfwits and all of whose followers are complete lackwits?

You have the right to say whatever you like about them. That's one of the freedoms you enjoy because the absolutism of the feudal past was brought to an end, which is one of the things the LOL claim to be celebrating, for what it's worth. I'm not a huge fan of the LOL personally because it's a bit too Anglican in its attitude towards the monarchy for my taste, but none of the people I know who are or have been involved with it fit the stereotype you are peddling. I even know an Orangeman who is married to a Roman Catholic, for what it's worth, despite what's been posted immediately above.

Tenuous connection to the KKK aside, is it okay to criticize the Orange Order for being a backwards, small-minded, bigoted, triumphalist, supremacist organization, all of whose members are halfwits and all of whose followers are complete lackwits?

I assume you know them all personally?

Looks photoshopped to me. The Ireland symbol at the top is very similar to Sinn Fein's logo so zero chance genuine LOL people would use that.

I think they're protesters. There's plenty of other reasons to hate the Orange Order though.

The lol have a doctrine that is unresevedly anti-catholic yet every year they exercise their rights to march through areas populated by catholic people? They live 300 years in the past and are a bigotted organisation. They would be as welcome as a BNP march down my street.

So thats long time lurker to add to the list of LOL members on this forum along with jacksgranda/the linfield fan(that claims he is neutral) and awra who is obviously to young to join

Any others ive missed,jimmy 85 im guessing :lol:

The lol have a doctrine that is unresevedly anti-catholic yet every year they exercise their rights to march through areas populated by catholic people? They live 300 years in the past and are a bigotted organisation. They would be as welcome as a BNP march down my street.

Richard Dawkins has an ideology that could also be termed unreservedly "anti-catholic". Should he be banned from making documentaries because the RC church doesn't like what he has to say?

Richard Dawkins has an ideology that could also be termed unreservedly "anti-catholic". Should he be banned from making documentaries because the RC church doesn't like what he has to say?

No.

I'm struggling to think of any, tbh.

They're a bigoted organisation that foments violence in the pursuit of its aims?

"Some of their language was emotive and having called thousands of people to protest they had no plan and no control and, rather than being responsible, I think the word for that is reckless," PSNI Chief Constable Matt Baggott.

They're a bigoted organisation that foments violence in the pursuit of its aims?

"Some of their language was emotive and having called thousands of people to protest they had no plan and no control and, rather than being responsible, I think the word for that is reckless," PSNI Chief Constable Matt Baggott.

^^^^ what school did Matt Baggott go to?

Richard Dawkins is anti-all religion, anti-all religious organisations, he is not not anti-catholic per se, there is a huge difference.

You have the right to say whatever you like about them. That's one of the freedoms you enjoy because the absolutism of the feudal past was brought to an end, which is one of the things the LOL claim to be celebrating, for what it's worth. I'm not a huge fan of the LOL personally because it's a bit too Anglican in its attitude towards the monarchy for my taste, but none of the people I know who are or have been involved with it fit the stereotype you are peddling. I even know an Orangeman who is married to a Roman Catholic, for what it's worth, despite what's been posted immediately above.

What a shame that he'll be expelled from the Order if he attends any funerals, weddings, first communions or christenings for any of her family members, and what a shame his children probably won't be able to join this fine institution because both of their parents are not Protestants.

And of course, what a shame he is subjected to never-ending 'sash-bashes' where the tunes often revolve around hating the group his wife comes from, or possibly burning symbols of her faith.

I personally know one person associated with the Orange Order who is agreeable, however when you scratch the surface she has an extremely bigoted mindset and a lot of her friends and relatives are unashamed Catholic haters.

I assume you know them all personally?

I don't know the Orange Order, the BNP membership or the EDL membership personally, and yet I still feel I am in a position to judge them for choosing to become members of bigoted, hateful organizations.

FWIW, the Orange Order differs from the BNP or the EDL in that some of my ancestors were members, and they were bigoted, supremacist, triumphalist halfwits too.

Richard Dawkins is anti-all religion, anti-all religious organisations, he is not not anti-catholic per se, there is a huge difference.

He is also driven by logic and reason, as opposed to bigotry, supremacism and hatefulness.

No.

So what's the difference? He is quite strident and uncompromising in his beliefs and offends a lot of people as well. People being upset about what somebody has to say isn't enough to ban something. Seems to me that in a free and democratic society groups like the LOL inherently have the right to do their thing within reason. If they were demanding the right to hold a walk all the way up the Falls Road there would be something to what you are saying about going through areas where they are clearly not wanted, but despite all the hype they don't actually do things like that. The flash points like the Ardoyne shops are nothing like as clear cut as that.