Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

And did they abide by those conditions in full?

As far as I know, yes, they were. It was all very heavily policed and I follow these things online through BBC NI news out of an interest in the area I used to live, not because I am a supporter of the OO.

AFJ would be way more clued up on the details than me, but it all revolves around walking in from Unionist areas on the edge of the city to the city centre in the morning to join up with the main Belfast area parade and then back again in the early evening once that's over and done with. Most of the route is non-controversial and through predominantly Unionist areas, but North Belfast has a complex patchwork sort of geography when it comes to who lives where, so at one point they wind up going past rather than through a hardline Republican area. The Crumlin Road is one of the main arterial routes in that regard, so the argument on the Unionist side is that it's a shared space, while obviously the resident groups from the Ardoyne put a very different spin on things. The ruling from the Parades Commission this year was that the morning was OK, but the evening wasn't, which seems a bit bizarre to me.

I think you're missing the point a tad. I just don't see why this is necessary. In Glasgow they seem to do this traditional route stuff, but in Lanarkshire they seem to manage to move 'the big walk' from town to town every year and no-one complains apart from a large proportion of the residents of whichever town it is inflicted upon. I don't see why they can't just commemorate the Glorious Revolution somewhere where they don't disturb the peace or antagonise people at all.

I think you're missing the point a tad. I just don't see why this is necessary. In Glasgow they seem to do this traditional route stuff, but in Lanarkshire they seem to manage to move 'the big walk' from town to town every year and no-one complains apart from a large proportion of the residents of whichever town it is inflicted upon. I don't see why they can't just commemorate the Glorious Revolution somewhere where they don't disturb the peace or antagonise people at all.

The parades outside Belfast do move from town to town on a yearly basis. I agree, there should be minimum disruption, but as LTL pointed out, North Belfast is extremely fractious, and it is nigh on impossible to go from one area to another without passing through "enemy" territory, no matter what side you are on.

The parades outside Belfast do move from town to town on a yearly basis. I agree, there should be minimum disruption, but as LTL pointed out, North Belfast is extremely fractious, and it is nigh on impossible to go from one area to another without passing through "enemy" territory, no matter what side you are on.

Build a tunnel.

When St Patrick's Day is commemorated in Belfast the city centre tends to be the main focal point rather than a field out in the middle of nowhere. Don't think there is anything hugely out of the ordinary in the LOL doing that as well.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

When St Patrick's Day is commemorated in Belfast the city centre tends to be the main focal point rather than a field out in the middle of nowhere. Don't think there is anything hugely out of the ordinary in the LOL doing that as well.

Would you be happy for those bands and their followers to march along your street too?

You are trying to make me fit some stereotype you have. There is no way you can tell my mood over the internet based on a phrase like that. I am doing something long, boring and monotonous that doesn't require my full attention and am using the internet for light relief at the moment. I'm bored rather than upset.