Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

It is 30 to 40 years since I was told about that stuff, but I think the perception it was based on was that the traditionally strongly Presbyterian areas in the Foyle and Finn valleys were deliberately split between the two Donegal constituencies in a way that killed stone dead any chance of another independent/Unionist getting in again. From what I have read, FF liked to have lots of 3 TD constituencies in the rural west so they could get more TDs than their vote share really merited where they were at their strongest, while ensuring that there were lots of 4 TD constituencies in and around Dublin to keep the result a lot more proportional in the areas where FG and Labour were at their strongest. Ruling parties around the world get up to tricks like that.

I would agree that in rural areas FF and FG both wanted 3 seaters as most of the time it would be 2FF 1FG or vice versa and having a 4th seat left the option for Labour or a 2-2 split.

I think that Donegal NE and SW remained virtually the same from 1961 till the present day with only slight thinkering around the edges. Of course following the reduction in Dáil seats for the next election. Donegal will be one big 5 seater which may return 2 FF, 2 SF and I FG. God help an independent candidate trying to canvas from Bundoran to Malin ......

That's putting it mildly. It's the height of nonsense, particularly at the present time. IF things had been quiet since the 12th this application might have been seen in a different light. Saturday week would have been time enough to apply for a parade IF the violence stopped now.

That's putting it mildly. It's the height of nonsense, particularly at the present time.

It also tells the rioters, "keep it up lads".

Excuse me but can you two stop being so reasonable? The pair of you are breaking the P&B stereotype.

I forgot about the big walk the day it was on and had a hard time getting to the gym cause all the roads were shut and there were dafties everywhere, riots in belfast are one thing, but getting in the way of my #lifting is quite another. Blanket ban please.

Ill-thought out? Pish. They know exactly what they're doing. The Orange Order are intentionally fanning the flames. Fucking arseholes.

So, something that is intentional and will cause riots isn't ill-thought out? :o

you've got me there chum.

Somebody is obviously determined to have an argument with the resident Linfield fan, even when he has just posted much the same line of reasoning. Probably didn't even bother to read what you wrote. What makes it all the more moronic on the part of the LOL was that Stormont was recalled by the DUP and passed a motion more or less supporting them and there was going to be negotiations over the best way forward on issues like this. What more do they expect than that? Have read elsewhere that the LOL leadership in Belfast was replaced recently by hardliners, who thought their predecessors were too accommodating. Maybe the problem is that now there is no career obvious career advancement angle for UUP politicians in being prominent in the LOL, the IQ level of the people at the top of it has dropped by about 30 or 40 points.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Somebody is obviously determined to have an argument with the resident Linfield fan, even when he has just posted much the same line of reasoning. Probably didn't even bother to read what you wrote. What makes it all the more moronic on the part of the LOL was that Stormont was recalled by the DUP and passed a motion more or less supporting them and there was going to be negotiations over the best way forward on issues like this. What more do they expect than that? Have read elsewhere that the LOL leadership in Belfast was replaced recently by hardliners, who thought their predecessors were too accommodating. Maybe the problem is that now there is no career obvious career advancement angle for UUP politicians in being prominent in the LOL, the IQ level of the people at the top of it has dropped by about 30 or 40 points.

To ask too parade again shows there is no iq in LOL

Have read elsewhere that the LOL leadership in Belfast was replaced recently by hardliners, who thought their predecessors were too accommodating. Maybe the problem is that now there is no career obvious career advancement angle for UUP politicians in being prominent in the LOL, the IQ level of the people at the top of it has dropped by about 30 or 40 points.

It's one of the little ironies of Northern Ireland that in the end it proved to be Ian Paisley with his DUP that did more to destroy the Orange Order than the Republican groups ever did by consigning the Ulster Unionists to history's dustbin. Once the link between them and the corridors of powers was broken, anyone hoping to "get on" in Northern Ireland no longer felt obliged to join.

The LOL was always about keeping the Prot lower orders knowing their place & giving them a Catholic bogeyman to distract them & feel "superior" to whilst the "better class of people" got rich on the back of their wilful stupidity & paying them a pittance for doing the same work those on the British mainland were doing.

With them now being seen ever more openly in NI as an embarrassment, their days are ultimately numbered.

So, something that is intentional and will cause riots isn't ill-thought out? :o

you've got me there chum.

It's a lot worse than ill-thought out. It's fucking moronic and they're deliberately inciting violence. Well done, you must be so proud of your 'brothers',

The LOL was always about keeping the Prot lower orders knowing their place & giving them a Catholic bogeyman to distract them & feel "superior" to whilst the "better class of people" got rich on the back of their wilful stupidity & paying them a pittance for doing the same work those on the British mainland were doing.

Up until the 1960s the Northern Ireland Labour Party often used to be able to beat the UUP in Stormont elections in working class Protestant parts of Belfast, so the "lower orders" didn't always meekly follow the script.