The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Fucking love the character of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo. Adam Driver is one of the best working actors in Hollywood right now and he clearly took to playing him. 

I was at the Cineworld midnight showing on Wednesday night into Thursday morning which showed the whole trilogy back to back. I think the Last Jedi is the best of the 3 for me. I really loved the scenes with Rey and Luke and Rey and Kylo Ren in particular.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

I was at the Cineworld midnight showing on Wednesday night into Thursday morning which showed the whole trilogy back to back. I think the Last Jedi is the best of the 3 for me. I really loved the scenes with Rey and Luke and Rey and Kylo Ren in particular.

That sounds like a new form of CIA enhanced interrogation.

I've only seen TFA but I would tell them everything I know well before that Scottish space pirate appears.

There's absolutely loads that makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Most glaringly:

"Ha ha! Young granddaughter, if you kill me the Dark Side wins. Ha ha!"

Ten minutes later.

Granddaughter kills him, Dark Side loses.

Eh?

But do I care? No.

I thought it was fucking great. My favourite of the sequels, easily better than any of the prequels.

I've edited the thread title, so feel free to post away without using spoiler tags. Spoiler tags should still be used if you're discussing the film in other threads. 🤫

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Although I thought the film was enjoyable, I really think it was an unimaginative film.  It took no risks at all.  As others have said the biggest asset of the sequel films was the dual character of Kylo/Ben.  I thought the whole Palpatine part of the story was added in because Snoke was killed off by Johnson.  They didn't need Palpatine.  They then looked to correct several things, to not get the same fan backlash as The Last Jedi.  Answering the "Mary Sue" question, giving Rey her lineage, Chewie getting the medal, lots of things added to appease fans.

The set pieces were spectacular.  The Kylo/Rey fight on the wreckage of the Death Star was stunning.  Also a good contrast with the main fight in Revenge of the Sith.  Lots of things  to pull at your heart strings too.  The scene with Han was excellent, I assume it is just the exact same scene from The Force Awakens?

Lastly, Luke had a green lightsabre not blue.  An enjoyable film, but a bit disappointing for me.  I think the Last Jedi and Force Awakens are far superior to it.

7 hours ago, Loki said:

Although I thought the film was enjoyable, I really think it was an unimaginative film.  It took no risks at all.  As others have said the biggest asset of the sequel films was the dual character of Kylo/Ben.  I thought the whole Palpatine part of the story was added in because Snoke was killed off by Johnson.  They didn't need Palpatine.  They then looked to correct several things, to not get the same fan backlash as The Last Jedi.  Answering the "Mary Sue" question, giving Rey her lineage, Chewie getting the medal, lots of things added to appease fans.

The set pieces were spectacular.  The Kylo/Rey fight on the wreckage of the Death Star was stunning.  Also a good contrast with the main fight in Revenge of the Sith.  Lots of things  to pull at your heart strings too.  The scene with Han was excellent, I assume it is just the exact same scene from The Force Awakens?

Lastly, Luke had a green lightsabre not blue.  An enjoyable film, but a bit disappointing for me.  I think the Last Jedi and Force Awakens are far superior to it.

Luke had anakins blue one until it was lost on bespin when vader chopped his hand off, that same saber was in maz's castle in TFA and presumably they class that as lukes cause he used it at one point lol

One thing i dont like at all about it is the connection between rey and ren to the point they can transfer solid objects between them over great distances using the force, f**k off with that shit, that was rubbish given ren wasnt even THAT good with the force, we never seen better force users at all use that, hell yoda was grandmaster and even he didn't try that shit in previous films

10 hours ago, Loki said:

...I thought the whole Palpatine part of the story was added in because Snoke was killed off by Johnson.  They didn't need Palpatine...

Explaining where Snoke came from and how he took over the Empire remnants so effectively was always going to be tricky as was providing some sort of satisfactory explanation for the emergence of "Mary Sue".

Think they found a reasonable way to deal with the issues that had been created by TFA, but it's obvious it wasn't what was originally intended and that they had hoped to be able to do a lot more with the new generation of characters.

Will be interesting to see how much appetite there is for the further adventures of Rey a decade or two down the road once none of the actors associated with original trilogy are available any more. Think they will need to come up with something fresh to keep this franchise going.

I thought that was pretty bad all in. First twenty minutes the way it jumps from scene to scene is bad with some utterly terrible dialogue. Settled a bit in the middle and started to dig it but ventured into shite at the end. Absolute tons of unneeded fan service, bad patter and zero subtlety whatsoever.

I made allowances with the last one and enjoyed it but that was gubbins.

7 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Luke had anakins blue one until it was lost on bespin when vader chopped his hand off, that same saber was in maz's castle in TFA and presumably they class that as lukes cause he used it at one point lol

Yes I know that.  But that lightsabre was destroyed by Kylo/Rey in Snoke's throne room.  In The Last Jedi we also see Luke igniting his green light sabre before Ben/Kylo attacked.

11 hours ago, Loki said:

Yes I know that.  But that lightsabre was destroyed by Kylo/Rey in Snoke's throne room.  In The Last Jedi we also see Luke igniting his green light sabre before Ben/Kylo attacked.

Rey had both pieces and fixed it.

In Last Jedi if I remember right Luke only uses the green lightsaber in the flashbacks where he could have killed Ben. In the final confrontation on Crait his 'projection' uses a blue lightsaber.

12 hours ago, Loki said:

50 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Rey had both pieces and fixed it.

In Last Jedi if I remember right Luke only uses the green lightsaber in the flashbacks where he could have killed Ben. In the final confrontation on Crait his 'projection' uses a blue lightsaber.

FwF says what I was gonna say lol, infact didnt rey and finn use the blue saber fighting ren at the end of TFA after the throne room shenanigans

He didn’t do much but I fucking loved seeing Lando again in the movie. When he arrives with all the people ready to fight and the main Star Wars tune starts playing i was going mental. Definitely one of my favourite scenes in the entirety of Star Wars.

1 hour ago, sonsism said:

He didn’t do much but I fucking loved seeing Lando again in the movie. When he arrives with all the people ready to fight and the main Star Wars tune starts playing i was going mental. Definitely one of my favourite scenes in the entirety of Star Wars.

Lando was brilliant, i actually think him arriving with the ships was better than dr strange bringing everyone to aid the avengers against thanos, plus that whole battle between the ships and on the hull of the destroyer was brilliant i thought