The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

26 minutes ago, velo army said:

...A jaded and bitter old man on his uppers is redeemed by a young person reaching out to him for wisdom and training. It's a story that is an essential part of the hero's journey narrative. Johnson's desire to "subvert expectations" was contrarian rather than artistic and he didn't have the chops to pull it off. Stories still need resolution and arcs need to make sense. It was really awful storytelling and an utterly needless assassination of a beloved character..

How though because the bit at the end with the astral projection or whatever it's called was him redeeming himself as far as I could see? Would he have been able to become a force ghost if he hadn't finally got there as a jedi despite his limited training and retreat to being a hermit? To me the bigger problem throughout was that there was no hero's journey for Rey because she was too perfect too quickly in TFA. 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

How though because the bit at the end with the astral projection or whatever it's called was him redeeming himself as far as I could see? Would he have been able to become a force ghost if he hadn't finally got there as a jedi despite his limited training and retreat to being a hermit? To me the bigger problem throughout was that there was no hero's journey for Rey because she was too perfect too quickly in TFA. 

That is true about her lack of hero's journey. What I was alluding too (poorly obviously) is that Star Wars is a hero's journey and that actually all fantasy fiction broadly follows the same path. There were myriad problems with the new movies, only one of which was the complete lack of meaningful journey for her to go on (and the weird adoption of the Skywalker name at the end). His astral projection (it's probably the best way to describe it) at the end just seemed a bit tacked on. His characterisation I felt was lazy and actually quite spiteful.

All the sequel movies were burdened under the weight of 40 years of movies. I still think Johnson's attempts (not always successful) to interrogate the franchise were better than the empty nostalgia that surrounded it. It's also a much more competently made movie than any of the prequels and doesn't have Ewoks. I think the real realisation a lot of detractors didn't want to acknowledge is that most Star Wars movies are pretty bad and even the best shows have lots of guff in them. I'm saying that as a prequels defender who thinks the Clone Wars is the best shit they've done.

Rogue One was class though. 

Also I'm just minding of when the nerds went mad about the astral projection and Johnson went off to find some fuckin EU Jedi training manual that proved him right. Very funny. 

ETA: the love for the Luke showing up in Mandalorian actually just reminded me that for a lot of people (particularly MCU heads) it's really all about making their figurines fight each other and arguing about who's the toughest which is maybe about the level we should expect for stuff that is ultimately for kids. 

Edited by NotThePars

18 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

All the sequel movies were burdened under the weight of 40 years of movies. I still think Johnson's attempts (not always successful) to interrogate the franchise were better than the empty nostalgia that surrounded it. It's also a much more competently made movie than any of the prequels and doesn't have Ewoks. I think the real realisation a lot of detractors didn't want to acknowledge is that most Star Wars movies are pretty bad and even the best shows have lots of guff in them. I'm saying that as a prequels defender who thinks the Clone Wars is the best shit they've done.

Rogue One was class though. 

Also I'm just minding of when the nerds went mad about the astral projection and Johnson went off to find some fuckin EU Jedi training manual that proved him right. Very funny. 

ETA: the love for the Luke showing up in Mandalorian actually just reminded me that for a lot of people (particularly MCU heads) it's really all about making their figurines fight each other and arguing about who's the toughest which is maybe about the level we should expect for stuff that is ultimately for kids. 

Pretty much agreed with all this, after the first watch of TFA which was enjoyable as pure "well rendered X-Wing" fan service, TLJ is the best of the sequel trilogy if only because it's trying to do something interesting. Ultimately almost none of the main star wars story is particularly good largely because it has so little interest in a world which is apparently 10s of thousands of planets in size apart from a group of about 10 characters, which is why the parts which pick around the edges like Clone Wars, Rogue One, Mando and even Rebels are the parts I enjoy most now

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bad Batch season 1 finale today, already a confirmed 2nd season, really good stuff, not many episodes are meh, only thing is given the lack of bad batch characters in future star wars stuff, you wonder where they will go with it, rex didnt even mention them in rebels which given the plotline in that, he surely would have if they were alive

Bad Batch season 1 finale today, already a confirmed 2nd season, really good stuff, not many episodes are meh, only thing is given the lack of bad batch characters in future star wars stuff, you wonder where they will go with it, rex didnt even mention them in rebels which given the plotline in that, he surely would have if they were alive

You do know the finale is in two parts???
The 2nd part is out today!!!

Bad Batch was okay.  I didn’t particularly care for any of the Bad Batch characters and Rambo just looked shit every time he was on screen.

A good few Easter Eggs.  The Anime series looks like it will be superior in every way.  Looking forward to that.

• 1 month later...

I have watched all nine episodes of Visions and thoroughly enjoyed the series.  Obviously a couple of the cartoons were utter guff, but the differing styles of animation and stories were extremely different.  Episodes 1, 7 and 9 were my favourites but there was something for everyone in them.

On 26/09/2021 at 21:48, Loki said:

I have watched all nine episodes of Visions and thoroughly enjoyed the series.  Obviously a couple of the cartoons were utter guff, but the differing styles of animation and stories were extremely different.  Episodes 1, 7 and 9 were my favourites but there was something for everyone in them.

1 and 5 absolutely stood out for me. Enjoyable bunch of shorts even if there were a few misses but I'd be very curious to see them pursue this medium and see how far they can take it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 03/11/2021 at 12:17, gkneil said:

Book of Boba trailer has been released. Star Wars underworld incoming.

What is the obsession people have with Boba Fett? I just don’t see the fascination. 
Have really struggled with The Mandalorian. It’s so boring. And the only one of the final trilogy I rate is The Last Jedi.