The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

RE: ROTS

I remember as a kid going to see ROTS at UGC Camperdown. I hadn't seen TPM or AOTC, or if i had I couldn't remember, and really enjoyed. I watched it again several times when periodically watching all six.

ROTS is my favourite of all the films, the great space battle at the start equalled with the even better light sabre duels. I can understand that both ANH and ESB are better films but I still think it's better than ROTJ.

FWIW ATOC is the worst by quite some way but still has one or two good moments (specifically Christopher Lee). TPM, I don't mind, bar Jar Jar, and Darth Maul was a bad-ass character and Duel of the Fates is one of the best Orchestral pieces ever written.

I had some wee b*****d child in front of me at ROTS who kept asking his dad on repeat from the opening credits when Darth Vader would appear.

Every time I watch it I still hear that constant noise, like a permanent white noise.

I don't like the lightsaber battles in the prequels (with the exception of Maul vs Qui Gonn and Obi Wan). They're just showy bollocks that nothing. They have no gravitas at all due to ludicrous leaping around pish and so ultimately are pointless

The ones in the original trilolgy (one per film) are much slower and deliberate but feel like a huge deal.

I don't like the lightsaber battles in the prequels (with the exception of Maul vs Qui Gonn and Obi Wan). They're just showy bollocks that nothing. They have no gravitas at all due to ludicrous leaping around pish and so ultimately are pointless

The ones in the original trilolgy (one per film) are much slower and deliberate but feel like a huge deal.

The General Grievous one with four lightsabers was utter shite. As was that character by the way.

I had some wee b*****d child in front of me at ROTS who kept asking his dad on repeat from the opening credits when Darth Vader would appear.

Every time I watch it I still hear that constant noise, like a permanent white noise.

When the original trilogy came back out in the cinema during the 90s, some we shyte was giving his Dad a running commentary out loud. It's one of only 3 occasions I've gone a bit radge in the cinema. TBF, neither of them spoke again after that.

The guy on the first date chatting loudly away about his likes and dislike whilst kicking my chair during The Hunger Games also didn't make another peep and the group of teenagers throwing sweets around the cinema during Superman Returns were very pleasant for the remainder of the film. Going a wee bit radge is good sometimes.

I'm normally quite a placid guy and don't see red very easily but in the cinema for some reason, people just wind me up.

I'm not going to see this until Christmas Eve. If anyone posts anything spoilerish then I will hunt you down and crack your sack, (or if you are of the lady variety I will welly you in the pie).

Just sayin.

Soylent green is people.

I'm not going to see this until Christmas Eve. If anyone posts anything spoilerish then I will hunt you down and crack your sack, (or if you are of the lady variety I will welly you in the pie).

Just sayin.

I have heard that han solo and chewbacca

are in it

Edited by weirdcal

I quite like the Guardian's movie reviews but their Star Wars one is fucking trash. It's just a guy rambling on about the OT and explaining a few minor details on the characters that anyone that hasn't seen the movie can write. Not to mention a couple of things that could potentially indirectly lead to spoilers.

I was utterly blown away by Jurassic Park. The faces that Laura Dern, Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum make when they see the dinosaurs for the first time was mirrored by the audiences reaction. Up until that point you hadn't seen special effects that realistic, and there was many people that thought that they had actually created dinosaurs for the film! Back then you couldn't pre book tickets for the cinema, so you actually had to queue. The queue's in Inverness were ridiculously long. The only other film I have seen that made my jaw drop like that was The Martian. At Uni I had to write an essay on Jurassic Park and how it was linked back to original cinema from the 1890's that was just there to shock and awe the audience with it's spectacular and grandeur nature.

I think The Force Awakens is more hyped than The Phantom Menace. The differences being that the UK had to wait two months after the US release before it was released here. The novel of the book was out, the soundtrack tracks even included spoilers (Qui-Gonn Jinn's noble end). Ray Park had said that he wouldn't be back for the other films. That detracted away from the film. Lucas chased the dollar to the detriment of the prequel trilogy. JJ Abrams in an era where information is readily accessed through different formats, has managed to control information about this movie that Lucas couldn't do.

How old were you when you first seen Jedi? In retrospect I don't like the ewoks, but at the time I didn't care. The information about it being wookies instead of ewoks only came out after ROTJ was released. It was an interview extra on the Laser Disc release.

At the end of the day the ticket price is going to be about a tenner. I have paid more money to see absolute shitey Ross County performances and I don't ever think I am not going back as the last four matches were shite.

I worked in la scala in Inverness when jp came out....it was crazy busy....spent 16 years in cinemas but never saw crowds like it.....your spot on by how blown away audienceswere by the cgi.....as for the star wars prequelsthey came on the heels of the matrix which pushed cinema boundaries in a way that lucas no longer could....the fact that the phantom menace was released earlier in the us meant that the poor reviews had already here so audiences were relatively poor....that said my company sent me to the royal premiere n party afterwards with cast n crew.....best night out I've ever had....didn't excuse feckin jar jar binks mind