The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Enjoyed Rogue One but wasn't blowing away by it.

The good stuff, K2-SO was a great character, it showed the rebellion alliance in a new light and not the goody two shoes, full of hope that they were in the original trilogy. The nods to the original trilogy were great and the last couple of mins were superb. Donnie Yen's character his sidekick and Jedha all had promise.

The downside was that Donnie Yen's character and the other supporting characters weren't fleshed out very well. A couple of the scenes in the first half were fairly redundant: the scenes on the planet after Jedha and Krennic going to see Darth Vader to whine about Tarkin. It looked like there was only a dozen or so rebels that joined in the initial attack on Scariff but this magically jumped up to hundreds on the planet.

Went and seen the last star wars film after the reviews it was getting and I wasn't all that fussed by it.

Watched this one because my mate was incredibly keen for it and I just don't get it, not even a little bit. I have no idea how such below average movies have garnered such a following.

Just in from seeing Rogue One. Absolutely fantastic. 

Spoiler

Vader at the end was masterful. Watching that scene made me want a spin off showing what he was up to between ROTS and this. 

Obi Wans wee mention from Organa was good along with a load of wee nostalgic nods which were not too in your face either. 

The CGI Tarkin was ropey at times but I was fine with it.

Definitely up there with the originals and TFA. Really shows up how bad the prequels were considering how much potential they had. 

Qui Gon, Darth Maul, Obi Wan being the few good things from them. Even Anakin was shite.

My preference is now 

Empire, A New Hope, Rogue One/Jedi then TFA.

With ROTS behind them and the other two waaaaaaaay behind in the distance.

3 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I'm assuming that Episode VIII has finished shooting, no idea how big her role would be in it or what the plans were for Episode IX. No bloody CGI please...

Doubt it on the first part and maybe I'm in a minority of one on this but it took me a few minutes to work out that they hadn't found somebody that looked like Peter Cushing for Rogue One. Thought the quality of the CGI was not bad. I guess a lot depends on her family and how comfortable they would be with it. 

On 27/12/2016 at 18:16, mizfit said:

I predict a CGI Leia to be stabbed within 5 seconds of episode 9 now.

She'll be on a ship that gets blown up in the first scene of episode 9 and that will be the motive of the film. Hopefully it will lead to a Chewie rampage ripping Kylo Rens arms off and shoving them up Snoke's arse.

Here's hoping. I'd rather it was more focused on Luke training Rey and Snoke training Kylo, both being taught about the force, lightsaber creation and the mystical stuff. Most films have been about blowing some sort of death star up so I'd love a force based film explaining, in more depth, the kyber crystals etc.