Average Speed Cameras on the A9 - stop gap until duelled

I always thought the speed limit on the dualed parts was 70, meaning you could get away with just under 80. Just found out it's 60, same as the rest of the road. Be careful out there.

I think it's 70 if there's a central reservation between the two sides of the road, 60 if not.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? You're kidding? If true it's clear these average speed cameras are about income generation, nothing more. I wonder if most of the speed limit signs will disappear like they did on the A77.

ETA - Checked http://a9road.info/safety-statistics/speed-limit-information/ It's 70 on the dual sections, but 60 on the overtaking lanes.

Ah right, sorry. Still, I thought 70 was ok on the overtaking bits..

Why not keep lorry speed to 40 overtaking zones then? Give other cars and traffic a chance to overtake safely?

The suicide lanes are horrific, far too short to be of any real use. Especially since the road will be duelled eventually anyway.

Now we will get idiots overtaking but afraid to go quick and result in more head ons. Just going to have to suck it up I'm afraid.

They'll overtake at 90, pull in and slam on the brakes to keep their average down.

Ah right, sorry. Still, I thought 70 was ok on the overtaking bits..

Maybe it's my imagination but the convoys of trucks and whatever else all seem to increase their speed when they get onto these 3 lane sections, and it can be a struggle to get safely past a line of them without going way above that 60mph limit.

• 3 weeks later...

Speed cameras will do nothing to prevent horror crashes on the A9.

What?

Fergus Ewing has statistics, as published in the Inverness Courier, that prove Norwegian cameras have reduced fatalities.

People are living now that would otherwise have died.

Anybody that can counter that better have a good argument.

Meanwhile the sober Chief Superintendent Julian Innes who agrees with me that the cameras have already delivered an improvement in driver behaviour has been challenged by the remarkable Danny Alexander who thinks he is "wrong" and that the cameras will force drivers onto "other routes".

I'd be interested to find the other viable routes that connect Inverness to Perth.

Poor Danny, he'd be better served by encouraging better driving rather than indulging himself with fatuous nonsense.

What?

Fergus Ewing has statistics, as published in the Inverness Courier,* that prove Norwegian cameras have reduced fatalities.*

Meanwhile the sober Chief Superintendent Julian Innes who agrees with me that the cameras have already delivered an improvement in driver behaviour has been challenged by the remarkable Danny Alexander who thinks he is "wrong" and that the cameras will force drivers onto "other routes".

I'd be interested to find the other viable routes that connect Inverness to Perth.

Poor Danny, he'd be better served by encouraging better driving rather than indulging himself with fatuous nonsense.

*I don't fucking think so*

post-31698-0-88348100-1416087771_thumb.j

What?

Fergus Ewing has statistics, as published in the Inverness Courier, that prove Norwegian cameras have reduced fatalities.

Not Inverness to Perth but it's quicker for me to go Dundee to pitlochry via coupar Angus than via Perth now.

If the average speed cameras are a stop gap until the A9 is completely dual carriageway, why are there cameras on the section between Dunblane and Perth ? This stretch is already dualled and has been for quite some time as well as already having fixed speed cameras and spots used regularly by mobile cameras.

If the average speed cameras are a stop gap until the A9 is completely dual carriageway, why are there cameras on the section between Dunblane and Perth ? This stretch is already dualled and has been for quite some time as well as already having fixed speed cameras and spots used regularly by mobile cameras.

The argument always trotted out by the Safety Partnership people , is the camera/vans are placed in areas with an accident history.

That is a load of tommyrot.. They use to sit in a layby just south of Queen Victoria school on the A9 in Dunblane. I have never seen an accident there. Meanwhile while a mile south at the Keir roundabout it is carnage and people have been killed. It would be interesting to see the amount of fines these vans brought in.

I am not condoning speeding but please give as credit for some intelligence.

First time done since they were switched on. Unless the trucks are put to 60 this is a disaster. I could live with constant 60 but 40 sometimes 20(caused by being in a mile long tail back behind a truck) is a really frustrating place to be in. I had plenty of time and was in no hurry but I still felt the tingle of a quiet rage. If I was needing to get somewhere I would have been taking risks.

The argument always trotted out by the Safety Partnership people , is the camera/vans are placed in areas with an accident history.

That is a load of tommyrot.. They use to sit in a layby just south of Queen Victoria school on the A9 in Dunblane. I have never seen an accident there. Meanwhile while a mile south at the Keir roundabout it is carnage and people have been killed. It would be interesting to see the amount of fines these vans brought in.

I am not condoning speeding but please give as credit for some intelligence.

A traffic cop told me that they park the vans on straight sections before accident hot spots to get vehicles to slow down and think about their speed before they reach them.

First time done since they were switched on. Unless the trucks are put to 60 this is a disaster. I could live with constant 60 but 40 sometimes 20(caused by being in a mile long tail back behind a truck) is a really frustrating place to be in. I had plenty of time and was in no hurry but I still felt the tingle of a quiet rage. If I was needing to get somewhere I would have been taking risks.

Roadrager caught. The system works.

I've travelled the A9 to Inverness and beyond a few times since the cameras were switched on, and would say the overall effect is a slower journey with the same number of dangerous arseholes present.

Car drivers seem so paranoid about their average speed that they sit at 50 or less with an open road in front of them. The number of times I've been at the back of a long line of traffic at 49mph and looked ahead to see a car holding everyone up is ridiculous.

I'm sure there are statistics and models from elsewhere showing that average speed cameras reduce fatal accidents, but excessive speed so obviously isn't the problem on the A9. I've seen just as many morons overtaking a line of 10 cars then forcing others to brake to let them in when they run out of road or face oncoming traffic.

The HGV limit has been increased to 50mph on the A9.

No lorries travel at 60mph anyway, 56mph is max but plenty are restricted to 50.

The HGV limit has been increased to 50mph on the A9.

No lorries travel at 60mph anyway, 56mph is max but plenty are restricted to 50.

I'd say most travel at 60 according to my speedo, which probably means around 56. Haven't been on the A9 since the cameras though.

Archived