Car advice

37 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

Hi all,

I was in a car accident during the bad weather a few weeks back and wrote my old car off. No other vehicles were involved and I wasn't injured or anything, but it was a scary experience and I was very lucky to avoid injury.

I got a new car on Saturday but I just cannot find any confidence in my own driving.

I have always been a safe and considerate driver and managed to drive for 18 months before the accident without any negative incidents occurring. 

I don't know if it's just that I've had a few weeks without driving and need to get back into the groove or that I've got a new car to get used to, but I kind of feel like a learner again.

Book a couple of lessons with an independent driving instructor and ask him to take you out in your own car.

35 minutes ago, The Gypsy King said:

Hi all,

I was in a car accident during the bad weather a few weeks back and wrote my old car off. No other vehicles were involved and I wasn't injured or anything, but it was a scary experience and I was very lucky to avoid injury.

I got a new car on Saturday but I just cannot find any confidence in my own driving.

I have always been a safe and considerate driver and managed to drive for 18 months before the accident without any negative incidents occurring. 

I don't know if it's just that I've had a few weeks without driving and need to get back into the groove or that I've got a new car to get used to, but I kind of feel like a learner again.

Sounds perfectly understandable and you will no doubt quickly regain your confidence and driving skills in no time. In the meantime, if you live near Ayr, make model colour and reg number please👍

2 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Sounds perfectly understandable and you will no doubt quickly regain your confidence and driving skills in no time. In the meantime, if you live near Ayr, make model colour and reg number please👍

The one with the bumper hanging off.

In all seriousness I think it's just a combination of driving a car that I'm not used to and having not drove for a little while. 

It'll hopefully pass after I've drove to and from work a couple of times.

In the meantime I'll keep being cautious and drive like I was taught to drive.

I am still in contact with my instructor (he's a Killie fan so always rips me when Ayr lose!) and he suggested that it was probably these factors.

I might pop out a drive shortly. I can't exactly avoid driving as it's required for work, so I might as well try to adapt.

In all seriousness I think it's just a combination of driving a car that I'm not used to and having not drove for a little while. 
It'll hopefully pass after I've drove to and from work a couple of times.
In the meantime I'll keep being cautious and drive like I was taught to drive.
I am still in contact with my instructor (he's a Killie fan so always rips me when Ayr lose!) and he suggested that it was probably these factors.
I might pop out a drive shortly. I can't exactly avoid driving as it's required for work, so I might as well try to adapt.

A couple of large voddies will calm your nerves.

Hi all,

Good luck with this. As others have said it’s quite understandable. Your confidence will improve. Good luck with it and take care.

39 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good luck with this. As others have said it’s quite understandable. Your confidence will improve. Good luck with it and take care.

I had a good drive tonight. Starting to get to grips with the new car.

It's a Mitsubishi Colt. It's quite a smooth drive. My experience of driving different cars is limited because this is only my second car, but it's quite a nice car to drive. 

Annoyingly the indicators and wipers are on the opposite sides to what I'm used so I've accidentally cleaned my windscreen while coming up to roundabouts a few times . 🤣

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

@RandomGuy. 

Can you recommend anywhere in Perth to get a scrape fixed post-corona? Some arsehole scraped my car when I was parked the order day and they drove off.

Think it will need painted or just polished out?

9 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Quite a bad one mate, probs painted.

We use a guy based in Dundee, KJ Smart Repairs, will get his number for you tomorrow.

Nobody I really know of who does them in Perth anymore, outside the well known companies. Used to be places in Scone but theyve shut down now.

9 hours ago, RH33 said:

Am I correct thinking the horn not working an mot fail?

You do know that the requirement to renew MOT has been suspended for six months ?

You do still have a duty to keep the car roadworthy, but if you drive in such a way that you never need to peep the horn at anyone you'd be able to make the case that you didn't know it wasn't working.

Not due an mot until later in the year. I hate being a sterotypical girl but when it comes to cars I’ve no clue. I’ve had car since December and only went use horn today to give kids a peep as I left them at their dad. I’ll play daft for lockdown as hardly in car and get it fixed once that’s lifted a bit.