Car advice

11 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

How do you power them both? I use my AC port for charging my phone.

I got Halfords to fit and wire them in, so the short answer is i don't know. I assumed that when the engine was on that they charged.  They switch on automatically to the engine starting. The wires between front and back are hidden away in the roof lining.  

If it helps, its a Nextbase camera set up front and rear.  Not sure if different manufacturers require different charging methods.

Edited by hearthammer

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

How do you power them both? I use my AC port for charging my phone.

Depending on the car it's usually pretty simple to run a cable from a spare slot in the fuse box (can get adaptors). Then just run the cable around the frame and trim. If you choose an ignition only fuse slot, the camera turns on when you start the engine. Mine is attached to an always on slot so the camera is always on. It monitors the battery voltage and stops drawing current if it falls too low so you don't end up with a flat battery if the car is unused for a while.

I don't need a new car. Mines is fine for what I need, had it mapped so enough power, and has never let me down at all in over a year of owning it. This MOT will be the first time I've spent money on it, and even then its just tyres and brakes.

I'm aware I've sort of maxed it out, and I've started looking at new cars and I'm completely convinced by the end of the year I'll have sold this one and bought a new, more unreliable, but more powerful, car.

I've no idea why. Can only assume this is how drug addicts feel when they're trying to quit.

I don't need a new car. Mines is fine for what I need, had it mapped so enough power, and has never let me down at all in over a year of owning it. This MOT will be the first time I've spent money on it, and even then its just tyres and brakes.
I'm aware I've sort of maxed it out, and I've started looking at new cars and I'm completely convinced by the end of the year I'll have sold this one and bought a new, more unreliable, but more powerful, car.
I've no idea why. Can only assume this is how drug addicts feel when they're trying to quit.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is “mapped” and what does it do to your car. Ta.

1 minute ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Please excuse my ignorance but what is “mapped” and what does it do to your car. Ta.

Remap, "tune", whatever you want to call it. Just ups the power its got. 

Mines went from 220bhp to ~300bhp for £500.

I'm looking at S4 Avants just now. Start off at 333, and a remap takes them to ~450. So, so, appealing.

Anyone know how much you would expect it pay for suspension brackets or arms for a VW Up/ Skoda Citi Go? It was picked up in my MOT as something that will need done before the next MOT
£100 for the parts plus however much labour. Not sure how many hours it would take. The ball joints if required won't add much extra either.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
4 hours ago, Adam101 said:
Anyone know how much you would expect it pay for suspension brackets or arms for a VW Up/ Skoda Citi Go? It was picked up in my MOT as something that will need done before the next MOT

£100 for the parts plus however much labour. Not sure how many hours it would take. The ball joints if required won't add much extra either.

On 20/09/2019 at 17:33, DublinMagyar said:

It makes your tiny penis microscopically larger

It gives me better mpg, the engine runs cleaner, and the exhaust gets hotter so prevents it clogging up.

I'll chalk up all the slaggings folk are giving out as just lack of knowledge about the benefits it can bring. 

I'm looking at S4 Avants just now. Start off at 333, and a remap takes them to ~450. So, so, appealing.
That's OK until your engine melts unless you go for forged internals.

17 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

How much does it push up your insurance?

Depends on who you go with, and if you tell them.

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:
On 18/09/2019 at 23:36, RandomGuy. said:

That's OK until your engine melts unless you go for forged internals.

Depends on your car. Mines is virtually a Golf R engine, not sure itll melt at 300.