Car advice

New(ish) motor has arrived just in time for the snow 🫣

But anyway isn't it shiny and clean for the time being. As the last one was over 10 years old I wasn't quite up to date as to how cars had evolved. f**k me this thing does everything, electric heated seats and steering wheel, automatic lights, wipers and wing mirrors, touch screen everything, wireless charging for the phone. It keeps you in the correct lane, you can speak to it and it parks itself which was somewhat unnerving for the first time. 

Would recommend.

20230310_103654.jpg

On 08/03/2023 at 21:36, beefybake said:

Mazdas tend to rust more too, they have long skimped on the rustproofing side of things. 

I have a 1990 MX5 and I can absolutely confirm this 😂

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

But anyway isn't it shiny and clean for the time being. As the last one was over 10 years old I wasn't quite up to date as to how cars had evolved. f**k me this thing does everything, electric heated seats and steering wheel, automatic lights, wipers and wing mirrors, touch screen everything, wireless charging for the phone. It keeps you in the correct lane, you can speak to it and it parks itself which was somewhat unnerving for the first time. 

Would recommend.

My 2010 Audi A4 was battered by a 'School run maw' in a Qashqai and written off by the insurers.  I replaced it with a 2009 Saab 9-3 2.8 which does none of these things.  Not the fastest but a V6 is always a delight.  Plus it's as near to analogue as you can get.

Would recommend.

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

Would recommend.

20230310_103654.jpg

Send it back, it can't park straight.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

I have a 1990 MX5 and I can absolutely confirm this 😂

Yes, mines a 1993 MX5.

And owners of the most recent version of the MX5 have been aghast when the amount of bare paintwork

on the underside of their cars was pointed out to them.

18 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

My 2010 Audi A4 was battered by a 'School run maw' in a Qashqai and written off by the insurers.  I replaced it with a 2009 Saab 9-3 2.8 which does none of these things.  Not the fastest but a V6 is always a delight.  Plus it's as near to analogue as you can get.

Would recommend.

Would commend those that like cars to heed my learned friends advice. 5/6/8 cylinder engines are now in terminal decline due primarily to emissions targets. But if a nice drive makes you smile, you need to get one before they’re confined to weekend classics. 4 cylinders are indeed more efficient but they have nothing like the charisma. Mind you, the 3 cylinder in the boy’s Mini Cooper is a peppy wee thing. 

7 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Would commend those that like cars to heed my learned friends advice. 5/6/8 cylinder engines are now in terminal decline due primarily to emissions targets. But if a nice drive makes you smile, you need to get one before they’re confined to weekend classics. 4 cylinders are indeed more efficient but they have nothing like the charisma. Mind you, the 3 cylinder in the boy’s Mini Cooper is a peppy wee thing. 

IDK, the 4 in my Giulia was an enchanting engine…powerful and lovely sounding…just need to outsource the exhausts and tuning to the Italians, and keep them away from the ergonomics and building stuff.

56 minutes ago, TxRover said:

IDK, the 4 in my Giulia was an enchanting engine…powerful and lovely sounding…just need to outsource the exhausts and tuning to the Italians, and keep them away from the ergonomics and building stuff.

Granted. But the Italians are very much the outliers. If they could build the rest of the car to German/Japanese standards they’d be world beaters. I think that’s indeed why Audi bought Lamborghini.  

37 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Granted. But the Italians are very much the outliers. If they could build the rest of the car to German/Japanese standards they’d be world beaters. I think that’s indeed why Audi bought Lamborghini.  

That’s why you keep them the hell away from the ergonomics and reliability. The Giulia has, as Clarkson noted, the door in the wrong place…you always rubbed this or nicked that getting in and out. At least it lacked the classic Ferrari bus steering wheel position. The Italians, for all we slag them, might be onto something though…they may go through Governments like tissue paper, but they’re enjoying the f**k out of life and their buses and trains run on time.

My car was serviced and MOT'D last week and the last day or so the the top up oil warning message came up on my dash,checked the oli tonight and not a drop on the dipstick,checked under the car on the drive and oil all over the stones.It was fine before the service.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

25 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My car was serviced and MOT'D last week and the last day or so the the top up oil warning message came up on my dash,checked the oli tonight and not a drop on the dipstick,checked under the car on the drive and oil all over the stones.It was fine before the service.

Have they changed the oil and not refitted the drain plug?

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Perhaps they only spent 20minutes on the service?

Seriously I’d be on the phone to them immediately. I’d also not drive it anywhere. 

I have texted the garage and told them i am dropping it off 1st thing monday morning,i have bought so oil to top it up so i can drive it the half mile to the garage.

5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

4 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I have texted the garage and told them i am dropping it off 1st thing monday morning,i have bought so oil to top it up so i can drive it the half mile to the garage.

Loose or cross threaded oil drain plug or oil filter is the leading potential cause. It is difficult to consider any other cause with a service and MOT

On 11/03/2023 at 09:13, alta-pete said:

I always favour the big and lazy over the peppy wee buzz bombs...

Edit:  This is the first V6 I've had since a 2.7-litre Honda-engined Rover I had back in nineteencanteen.  It's a delight.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

I always favour the big and lazy over the peppy wee buzz bombs...

Edit:  This is the first V6 I've had since a 2.7-litre Honda-engined Rover I had back in nineteencanteen.  It's a delight.

Those Rover 827s were great old barges. Not particularly pacey, but like driving around on a 3 piece suite.

My 1994 Rover 220 turbo was the best car I've ever had.

18 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Those Rover 827s were great old barges. Not particularly pacey, but like driving around on a 3 piece suite.

My 1994 Rover 220 turbo was the best car I've ever had.

Quite the desirable motor 'back in the day'.  And looked the part.