Car advice

35 minutes ago, beesher said:

1. On the internet

2. It's tricky to compare because this one is quite a rare colour with a specific feature package. i have seen the same model, 6 months newer, with a similiar mileage for a grand less but its in white and doesnt have this interior package

3. I need to have a car. i just don't need this specific one.

Think you'll have less wiggle room if it's a rare one compared to a white Corsa that are ten a penny.

Had car checked out this morning;

Directional tyres on the wrong way.

Sticking caliper so needs new pads.

OIL was lower in deliver and I queried this on Friday, turns out the oil filter wasn't sealed.

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

OIL was lower in deliver and I queried this on Friday, turns out the oil filter wasn't sealed.

Sticking caliper generally needs a new caliper as well as new pads (and possibly new discs)

5 hours ago, RH33 said:

If the same place that couldn’t properly check/service the calipers, check/fill the oil and put the tyres on rotating in the direction of the arrows is doing the “repairs”, I’d be very wary. That being said, if that’s all that’s wrong with a used vehicle, it’s not the worst ever. I would reconsider your purchase location choices after your other vehicles of woe.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

Sticking caliper generally needs a new caliper as well as new pads (and possibly new discs)

Absolutely correct. Some can be rebuilt/cleaned/lubed and reinstalled, but I wouldn’t let THEM do it. As for the discs, it’s nearly the same cost to install new discs as it is to turn them, and better for you to get the new ones to go with the new pads.

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

He's hoping bit lube and it'll be fine, also Cinch can foot bill for that when I get south again. They wanted to book it into their local contact but I'm going north Saturday so they'll get an invoice.

6 hours ago, RH33 said:

You've some luck with picking dog cars! I was going to suggest buying something a bit older or higher mileage but from a franchise dealer as an Approved Used Car but then I see you've gone with Cinch who - I would have thought, I have no experience - would have done a bit more than just give it a wash and stick it up for sale. And don't they operate a no-quibble refund policy if you are not happy?

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

You've some luck with picking dog cars! I was going to suggest buying something a bit older or higher mileage but from a franchise dealer as an Approved Used Car but then I see you've gone with Cinch who - I would have thought, I have no experience - would have done a bit more than just give it a wash and stick it up for sale. And don't they operate a no-quibble refund policy if you are not happy?

Thing with cars is I've no one or way of looking into it beyond its a nice colour. Hence sharpish mechanic check this time. It's lovely car and nice to drive, space for the daft labradour

I had no idea tyres could be directional so even on a forecourt I'd not have noticed. 

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

He's hoping bit lube and it'll be fine, also Cinch can foot bill for that when I get south again. They wanted to book it into their local contact but I'm going north Saturday so they'll get an invoice.

17 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

All to do with the pattern, think it makes a massive difference in the wet. 

IMG_6409.jpeg

And I’m going to come across as a complete Nigel here but - and it depends what you are buying and from where - if there are different tyers facing the wrong way round that’s a massive red flag.

We’ve a car in the a-p family, bought with 100k miles on the clock (where most would usually set their arbitrary limit), the clincher being that it had 4 matching near-new Pirelli P-Zero tyres on it.

Owners (generally) don’t spunk £500 on tyres on a snotter of a car.

But if it has a mix of cheapo tyers be a wear. 

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

And I’m going to come across as a complete Nigel here but - and it depends what you are buying and from where - if there are different tyers facing the wrong way round that’s a massive red flag.

We’ve a car in the a-p family, bought with 100k miles on the clock (where most would usually set their arbitrary limit), the clincher being that it had 4 matching near-new Pirelli P-Zero tyres on it.

Owners (generally) don’t spunk £500 on tyres on a snotter of a car.

But if it has a mix of cheapo tyers be a wear. 

SNOW TYERS

2017 Peugeot Partner Teepee.

Oil pressure light flashing.

Oil level fine.

Drain oil and find chunks of rubber.

Find out its got a "wet belt" system, where the timing belt runs in oil.

Common fault where belt degrades, bits of rubber block the pick up pipe, engine is starved of oil.

New engine required, Peugeot claim its not a fault and won't cover expenses. 4 month wait on engine.

2017 Transit 2.0 Diesel "EcoBlue".

Brakes failed as the vacuum pump failed.

Replace vacuum pump.

60 miles later vacuum pump fails ago.

Starved of oil.

Discover its got the "wet belt" system.

Phone Ford who admit its a problem and have put out recalls. Engine replaced free of charge within the month.

If you're buying any car from about 2012 onwards, especially a ford with an EcoBoost or EcoBlue engine, or Peugeot/Citreon petrols, ask if it has a wet belt system or not before purchasing. If it does get it changed, or get proof of the change, or just walk away from it.

An absolutely dogshit idea that could easily cause you £5k+ to repair, plus being without a car for weeks at least, with next to no warning until its too late.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

2017 Peugeot Partner Teepee.

Oil pressure light flashing.

Oil level fine.

Drain oil and find chunks of rubber.

Find out its got a "wet belt" system, where the timing belt runs in oil.

Common fault where belt degrades, bits of rubber block the pick up pipe, engine is starved of oil.

New engine required, Peugeot claim its not a fault and won't cover expenses. 4 month wait on engine.

2017 Transit 2.0 Diesel "EcoBlue".

Brakes failed as the vacuum pump failed.

Replace vacuum pump.

60 miles later vacuum pump fails ago.

Starved of oil.

Discover its got the "wet belt" system.

Phone Ford who admit its a problem and have put out recalls. Engine replaced free of charge within the month.

If you're buying any car from about 2012 onwards, especially a ford with an EcoBoost or EcoBlue engine, or Peugeot/Citreon petrols, ask if it has a wet belt system or not before purchasing. If it does get it changed, or get proof of the change, or just walk away from it.

An absolutely dogshit idea that could easily cause you £5k+ to repair, plus being without a car for weeks at least, with next to no warning until its too late.

Christ, I see some suggestions of as little as a 10,000 mile change interval for a wet belt…all for a couple of 2% better fuel mileage…what a fiasco.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Christ, I see some suggestions of as little as a 10,000 mile change interval for a wet belt…all for a couple of 2% better fuel mileage…what a fiasco.

Less than 10k is what we're recommending, with a certain oil grade (I've forgotten which one tbh, its written down, but its literally just water) used.

Never, ever, use an oil flush on a wet belt engine too.