Car advice

14 minutes ago, Derek Patterson said:

What year?
I've got an 09 plate.
Usually get stuff from Euro Car Parts who are generally quite reliable.

Have picked up a few bits & pieces from the scrappy also.

62 plate. Went to eBay places with very good reviews but sadly all service parts were wrong. Euro parts are a bit too expensive but I guess if you go cheap like me then you get what you deserve.

10 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Down at our caravan in Ayrshire this weekend and I was shocked to see Diesel is cheaper than Petrol.

The independent ones are cheaper than the supermarkets...£1.37 for diesel and petrol seems reasonable at my local. Doesn't do SUL so I go to Shell in Kilmarnock. 

10 hours ago, alta-pete said:

It seems to be. My recollections of recent times are an ex-taxi, a Mondeo, an Arnold Clark story, a Fabia (monte corlo, no less) and maybe a couple of others. But the only common denominator is, erm, maybe you? (Soz). Just how hard are you on them? 

The Mondeo was the ex taxi who's drive shaft collapsed after three months. A fiesta that was returned after three days as it back in. The Fabia was awful to drive. This change is because the lab doesn't fit 🙈 with another dog and two kids 🙈

15 hours ago, pub car king said:

Buy from France and take a chance is all I'm saying. 

Get yourself on ebay and buy a spare for it, I got a second hand space saver with toolkit for £70 delivered. 

I actually have 4 spares, standard here to have summer wheels and winter wheels. Problem was I never bothered putting one of the winter ones in the boot in case of emergency.

On the 'buy from France and take a chance' thing.

My wife has only ever had French cars, mostly Peugeot. Since we've been together she's had two 306s, a 406 coupe, 407 coupe and now an RCZ. The 407 was the only one we had issues with but that was as much down to the dealer being useless. 

She tends to keep her cars for 3-4 years and it's soon time to replace the RCZ, which has been fantastic. She'd have another one but they only made them up to 2015. Problem is we don't like anything else, and if she wants to stay in a coupe it'll probably have to be German.

Any Audi/BMW/Merc driving P&Bers have any horror stories, or indeed tales of years of trouble-free motoring to share? Presumably they're all very reliable but we'll likely be looking at something 5 or 6 years old. The potential cost when something goes wrong is a concern after a lifetime of hitting French cars with a mallet or holding them together with cable ties when they break..

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

On the 'buy from France and take a chance' thing.

My wife has only ever had French cars, mostly Peugeot. Since we've been together she's had two 306s, a 406 coupe, 407 coupe and now an RCZ. The 407 was the only one we had issues with but that was as much down to the dealer being useless. 

She tends to keep her cars for 3-4 years and it's soon time to replace the RCZ, which has been fantastic. She'd have another one but they only made them up to 2015. Problem is we don't like anything else, and if she wants to stay in a coupe it'll probably have to be German.

Any Audi/BMW/Merc driving P&Bers have any horror stories, or indeed tales of years of trouble-free motoring to share? Presumably they're all very reliable but we'll likely be looking at something 5 or 6 years old. The potential cost when something goes wrong is a concern after a lifetime of hitting French cars with a mallet or holding them together with cable ties when they break..

Audi/BMW/Merc all share one common feature, come 100,000 miles expect the expense. Generally speaking, the German brands start to require costly repairs and such around the 100,000 mile/10 year mark. The Japanese brands are, on the other hand, generally good for 200,000+ before the repairs start, and the repairs are less expensive. In both cases, this does assume proper and timely maintenance work. The other European brands are more on the German end than the Japanese end. The Korean brands as roughly a generation behind the Japanese on features and reliability.

I’ve sold three BMW brand vehicles in the past to avoid owning them out of warranty, I’ve happily owned Japanese vehicles over 100,000 miles without fear. The Stellantis brand cars available in the U.S. are generally low on the reliability lists, but the repair expenses aren’t German level.

Given the RCZ is based on the 308, while not as stylish, it’s a possible choice…otherwise the VW Golf (ye, a German, but a little less costly to maintain) in a sporty trim might work rather than a “step up” to ABM levels or expense. The other option is to turn Japanese.

30 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Audi/BMW/Merc all share one common feature, come 100,000 miles expect the expense. Generally speaking, the German brands start to require costly repairs and such around the 100,000 mile/10 year mark. The Japanese brands are, on the other hand, generally good for 200,000+ before the repairs start, and the repairs are less expensive. In both cases, this does assume proper and timely maintenance work. The other European brands are more on the German end than the Japanese end. The Korean brands as roughly a generation behind the Japanese on features and reliability.

I’ve sold three BMW brand vehicles in the past to avoid owning them out of warranty, I’ve happily owned Japanese vehicles over 100,000 miles without fear. The Stellantis brand cars available in the U.S. are generally low on the reliability lists, but the repair expenses aren’t German level.

Given the RCZ is based on the 308, while not as stylish, it’s a possible choice…otherwise the VW Golf (ye, a German, but a little less costly to maintain) in a sporty trim might work rather than a “step up” to ABM levels or expense. The other option is to turn Japanese.

Agree on Japanese reliability, just a shame they're mostly pretty bland with no tempting coupes for us. 

We like the Mercedes C and E Class coupes, and the Audi TT although my wife says that's too common. We only do around 3-4k miles a year, so buying something with <50k we shouldn't see any of the higher mileage related issues. 

I've been put off VW cars after the experiences of a workmate with his Tiguan, which was in & out of the shop with expensive steering and drive shaft issues at around 5 years/40k miles. The Golf, a bit beige styling too I think. Audi A5 coupe is smart but most have Starship Enterprise mileage.

Plan B if we don't find a coupe we like would be some kind of SUV style, so much more choice there across the brands if the Mrs can be convinced to give up her sporty number. If it was up to me I'd opt for a big 4.2 litre Landcruiser, a hard sell in these crazy times of low-emission zones and £1.50 diesel 😄

40 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Agree on Japanese reliability, just a shame they're mostly pretty bland with no tempting coupes for us. 

We like the Mercedes C and E Class coupes, and the Audi TT although my wife says that's too common. We only do around 3-4k miles a year, so buying something with <50k we shouldn't see any of the higher mileage related issues. 

I've been put off VW cars after the experiences of a workmate with his Tiguan, which was in & out of the shop with expensive steering and drive shaft issues at around 5 years/40k miles. The Golf, a bit beige styling too I think. Audi A5 coupe is smart but most have Starship Enterprise mileage.

Plan B if we don't find a coupe we like would be some kind of SUV style, so much more choice there across the brands if the Mrs can be convinced to give up her sporty number. If it was up to me I'd opt for a big 4.2 litre Landcruiser, a hard sell in these crazy times of low-emission zones and £1.50 diesel 😄

Maybe a Genesis G70, as they age, would be attractive to the Mrs?

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

My pal has a Tiguan and had loads of problems with it. Seems to have cost a fortune in repairs in the 18 months they've had it.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Maybe a Genesis G70, as they age, would be attractive to the Mrs?

Nice looking motor but they don't appear to be a thing over here yet, none for sale at least with a quick search.

8 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My pal has a Tiguan and had loads of problems with it. Seems to have cost a fortune in repairs in the 18 months they've had it.

I remembered another mate who had one too which rolled down the hill outside his house overnight when the electronic handbrake failed.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Agree on Japanese cars. I'm on my 3rd Subaru Impreza and they haven't missed a beat. Obviously serviced religiously. 

4 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Nice looking motor but they don't appear to be a thing over here yet, none for sale at least with a quick search.

There are a few of them on auto trader

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?postcode=PH1 3UZ&make=Genesis Motor&model=G70&include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

It came as zero surprise to me that the car sales men couldn't actually get the finance company to swollow the neg equity in new car deal finance.

Anyone used a roof bag?

Has anyone bought a car from Evans Halshaw?

Test drove a car about 3 weeks ago and they did not budge on the price at all. They have since reduced the it by £700.

it’s been on the forecourt for about 4 months. A couple of mates of mine have suggested that it’s overpriced still because it’s a couple of grand over the ‘we buy any car’ valuation. 

I am often crap at negotiating so am trying not to jump in head first like I normally do.

2 hours ago, beesher said:

Test drove a car about 3 weeks ago and they did not budge on the price at all. They have since reduced the it by £700.

it’s been on the forecourt for about 4 months. A couple of mates of mine have suggested that it’s overpriced still because it’s a couple of grand over the ‘we buy any car’ valuation. 

I am often crap at negotiating so am trying not to jump in head first like I normally do.

I wouldn’t agree that it is overpriced because it is more than the we buy any car valuation tbh. They will always be offering to buy the car for less than it is actually worth so they can make money from selling it on afterwards.

4 hours ago, beesher said:

1) Where have you seen it reduced £700…on the car, in an ad, or on the web?

2) Similar cars for sale, with similar mileage and condition, are priced how compared to it?

3) Do you have to have a car, or do you just want this car and can live without it? I assume the latter.

Option A: Gather that info and stop by. Speak to the salesperson and explain you’d like to buy that car that’s languishing on the forecourt, but it’s still over-priced. Provide comparable vehicles at a lower price nearby if able. Ask for their best offer, and explain its now or never…and be ready to walk.

Option B: If they have an internet sales department, call them as ask for the best price on that vehicle and tell them who you are shopping it against (chose two dealers with similar vehicles the same price or lower). Ask for their best all in price.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I wouldn’t agree that it is overpriced because it is more than the we buy any car valuation tbh. They will always be offering to buy the car for less than it is actually worth so they can make money from selling it on afterwards.

Correct, that’s why you have to compare similar vehicles nearby prices.

The trouble with negotiating based on comparables is you are negotiating based on screen price - you're never going to win any discount that way. Why would you buy the same spec car anywhere at a more expensive price?

I suggest go get the WBAC valuation -the bottom trade price. Then add on a margin for prep and profit (£3k for something ordinary or £10k or more for something exclusive and everywhere inbetween), if the screen price matches up then you've not got a huge amount of wiggle room. It it is well over, tell the salesman that and explain your reasoning. You'll either win the discount or he'll hold out for a less prepared victim to wander into the showroom in a couple of weeks.  Never set your heart on one particular car. Or, if you do, be prepared to pay full price for it.

I think the supply imbalance (rising prices) of the last few years are at an end. In the Ford dealership in Sirling there's a row of half a dozen (or more) brand new Focus's all stickered up as 'Immediate Delivery' - they've been lying out for the last couple of months with no apparent turnaround in the stock.  

And always go in a week/10 days before the end of the month/quarter. If they've made the quota for the period you'll be paying full price; if they're struggling to get the numbers they'll be keen to deal...

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

1) Where have you seen it reduced £700…on the car, in an ad, or on the web?

2) Similar cars for sale, with similar mileage and condition, are priced how compared to it?

3) Do you have to have a car, or do you just want this car and can live without it? I assume the latter.

1. On the internet

2. It's tricky to compare because this one is quite a rare colour with a specific feature package. i have seen the same model, 6 months newer, with a similiar mileage for a grand less but its in white and doesnt have this interior package

3. I need to have a car. i just don't need this specific one.

14 minutes ago, beesher said:

1. On the internet

2. It's tricky to compare because this one is quite a rare colour with a specific feature package. i have seen the same model, 6 months newer, with a similiar mileage for a grand less but its in white and doesnt have this interior package

3. I need to have a car. i just don't need this specific one.

1) Common dealer practice is “in person” doesn’t get the internet price without some struggle, be careful. It might be best to deal with the internet sales “department”.

2) If the interior package is worth around £1,000, it sounds roughly best price for now. Colour, rarity isn’t worth much except to the buyer who wants it…and you do.

3) Unfortunate, but if you are heart set on this car, maybe this is it.

Make sure they will allow a pre purchase inspection at a mechanic of your choice, if (as it sounds) this is a used vehicle. I would highly recommend one.