Facts you made up

Mak

Jamie Vardy would not be the superstar he is today had he not followed his lifestyle guru's advice 5 years ago, former glamour model turned lifestyle guru Linda Lusardi (née Ramsbottom) took up the lifestyle guru route when the bottom fell out of her own career (no pun intended, if I'd have wanted to pun it, I'd have said "tits up").

Grimbo

In 50 years time, a new magnetic East pole will appear and all birds in the UK will end up flying to Scarborough for the winter.

ETA except pigeons.

Your timing normally impeccable this time my friend is way out, by over 75 years.

Seagulls have to be imported to Blackpool under the cover of dark from Scarborough & Skegness respectfully, due to the magnetic East pole that was created after the Cold War. (Wiki fact #153).

There are 2 trains designated for this duty, they are disguised as mail trains, the irony of this is that they are known colloquially as "pigeon post", but as correctly stated above pigeons have no such East pole homing device.

Current pigeon fanciers now have to fit their pigeons with a tiny satnav device (available from Halfords) to enable this much acclaimed sport to continue it's popularity.

Grimbo

In 50 years time, a new magnetic East pole will appear and all birds in the UK will end up flying to Scarborough for the winter.

ETA except pigeons.

Work on this has already started, with scientists hoping to centre it on Białystok due to the lack of bird diversity in the area. Quite why they will fly to Scarborough instead is currently unclear and the subject to much speculation in ornithological circles.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not possible to swim the English Channel (from England to France) in less than 52 minutes because of the 30mph speed limit.

No such restrictions apply from the French side.

Sometimes you have to wonder who won the war?

Grimbo

It is not possible to swim the English Channel (from England to France) in less than 52 minutes because of the 30mph speed limit.

Grimbo

Your re-collection of D-Day must be different from mine.  I think they used boats.

Blackadder Goes Forth was originally written about the building of the Forth Rail Bridge.

However, residents of North Queensferry successfully petitioned the BBC arguing that the script went over the top glorifying the contribution of (South) Queensferrians, while in actual fact most of those who were displaced, maimed or died during construction were Fifers.

Grimbo

I always thought the restrictions applied both ways but because travelling from France you were hitting speeds in kmph (48) as opposed to mph (30), it was always quicker coming back.

In addition, due to Scots miles being longer than English miles, many English holidaymakers used to travel up to Edinburgh before heading to the Continent, saving themselves a fortune in petrol and shortened journey times.

I always thought the restrictions applied both ways but because travelling from France you were hitting speeds in kmph (48) as opposed to mph (30), it was always quicker coming back.

In addition, due to Scots miles being longer than English miles, many English holidaymakers used to travel up to Edinburgh before heading to the Continent, saving themselves a fortune in petrol and shortened journey times.

I always wondered what the conversion rate was from Scottish to Engkish in miles. The return journey north for me is always longer, I assume (rightly) that if you look on a map or atlas Englond is always downhill from Scotland, so it's the laws of gravity innit.

Grimbo

Steve Cram's early fame came from the fact that he could get from Newcastle to Carlisle faster than a train by merely going by Perth.

It's quicker going to Calais from Dover because it's downhill. That's why they have the speed restrictions to stop massive ferries losing control and smashing into France.

During the 1970s, to enhance his popularity in Uganda, Idi Amin decreed that each Christmas, the Equator (instead of being the straight line around the globe) would "bend" around Kampala for a 7 day period. This allowed a number of his generals to claim tax relief on their lootings earnings due to a lower tax band in the Southern Hemisphere whilst at the same time allowing children the fun of watching the water drain the "wrong" way around the open sewers in the school playgrounds.

Following his death in Libya, the Equator has never again been moved.