Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

20 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Please say 1 ) he is brilliant !

2 )  He is not eligible for

any other country 

Eligible for England as well - played once for their under 16s. 

• 4 weeks later...

That Rob Apter is a seriously talented forward with big potential, glad to see him get his first under 21 call up.

He was in League Two with Tranmere this season on loan and was sensational at that level, saw a number of his games and highlights. Comfortable out wide as an out and out winger but great in the pockets as well. 

Think he ended on something like 9 goals and 6 assists. He also won League Two young player of the year.

He is back at his parent club Blackpool for the coming season in League One so a small step up. I expect he will be one of their main men this season. 

It's hard to get excited about a talent who does well at League Two level, but I remember thinking same thing with Elliot Anderson when he was in that league with Bristol Rovers. Just a standout.

Will be keeping an eye on him

Re-heat the hype! Whether or not he ever plays for Scotland I'd hate to see a guy who went to school in Kirkintilloch end up playing for the other lot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13440619/The-rebirth-boy-wonder-Blackpool-breathed-new-life-KARAMOKO-DEMBELE-internet-sensation-Celtic-disappear-view-Premier-League-clubs-circling.html

3 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Re-heat the hype! Whether or not he ever plays for Scotland I'd hate to see a guy who went to school in Kirkintilloch end up playing for the other lot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13440619/The-rebirth-boy-wonder-Blackpool-breathed-new-life-KARAMOKO-DEMBELE-internet-sensation-Celtic-disappear-view-Premier-League-clubs-circling.html

He's switched so much between England and Scotland (he's currently locked to England) that his next switch will be his last.

So, if he switches to Scotland then he's not allowed to switch back to England or choose Ivory Coast then that's it final.

I want a player who wants to play for Scotland. He's switched from Scotland u16, to England u15, then Scotland u17, England u17 then England u18.

We need players who will fight and bleed for Scotland. Not players who are hapf-hearted.

It's nice to see his career taking off, but it's a no for me. Hopefully Ivory Coast call him up.

Saw a handful of Blackpool games this season and the difference in him now is unbelievable. He was a standout in that team and looked a real player with confidence and consistency. 

Next season will be massively important. The season gone has really been his first proper season at a professional level starting games. He has to build on that next season.

Posted (edited)

I see the under-21 squad are playing their final friendly in Austria (near Salzburg) on 7th-Jun. With them being the 'standby squad' I wonder if keeping them close to the tournament is deliberate or just coincidence.

Edited by 2426255

Steve Clarke will be in the job till after the next World Cup (barring three incredibly heavy defeats at the Euros) so it's about time he put his foot down and told the manager of every Scotland age group to play with a three at the back.

If they play this play at youth level It'll be an easier transition when they break into the senior team.

Belgium did it. They went a step further and got every top league team to play with a 4-3-3 so that it would aid the national team.

10 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Steve Clarke will be in the job till after the next World Cup (barring three incredibly heavy defeats at the Euros) so it's about time he put his foot down and told the manager of every Scotland age group to play with a three at the back.

If they play this play at youth level It'll be an easier transition when they break into the senior team.

Belgium did it. They went a step further and got every top league team to play with a 4-3-3 so that it would aid the national team.

What is that going to teach our youth teams? 

We need our coaches to be developing the more technical side of the game so we are producing players a lot more comfortable on the ball, players like Doak, Gilmour, Hickey, not some formation that will end up being discarded for something else once the current one goes out of fashion for whatever reason that is. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Steve Clarke is not their boss.

When Pep Guardiola walked unto Manchester City he laid down the law and laid out his/Barcelona's template for every single player at Manchester City and every single tier of the Manchester City teams to play the same system, same formation, etc.

This way the transition from the youth teams to the senior team would be seamless as x youngster has been playing in Guardiola's style for x amount of years.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2873998/2021/10/15/manchester-citys-academy-the-identifiable-style-that-means-all-levels-play-like-the-first-team/

It's just common sense. Imagine the change of culture from playing for a manager who played direct long ball stuff, from 8 years old to 16 years old, then being asked to play progressive and possession based football.

Good for him, presumably his role allowed him to do that. Steve Clarke is not responsible for youth football within the SFA, that is the role of the performance director.

Posted (edited)

A thinktank of Jones, Gemmill and Stark.

No wonder none of the youth teams qualify for anything.

I'm sure they're enjoying watching the u17 European Championships.

My point stands. Every tier (u16/u17/u19/u21) should be playing the same system and formation as the senior team.

If Mr Jones doesn't know how that would improve things then he's obviously not good at his job.

They implement it in Portugal, the Netherlands, Spain, Belgium, etc.

Edited by SlayerX

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Good for him, presumably his role allowed him to do that. Steve Clarke is not responsible for youth football within the SFA, that is the role of the performance director.

What are you going on about, wether Clarke can or cannot implement that its very obviously what should be happening. And thats his point.

And if Clarke isn't pushing for that then its a mistake.

If the performance director doesn't want to do this hes clueless.

The guys right, and your being as usual obtuse.