Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

12 hours ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Hoping @2426255 will be along soon to tell us how many first team appearances/experience our under 21 side tonight has

Don't have a clue tbh. I don't take much interest in the under-21's

Posted (edited)

A shame the euros have come a bit soon for him to really be in contention but if his trajectory continues Bowie should be in the mix for the full squad in the not too distant future. Hopefully he gets a crack at the Championship next season. Helpful he plays in a bit of a problem position for Scotland too. He’s Rovers through and through, as well.

Edited by Enigma

Time for Malky Mackay to come back into things then. He'll go the u21s and Gemmill back to the u19s.

On 25/03/2024 at 12:42, Enigma said:

A shame the euros have come a bit soon for him to really be in contention but if his trajectory continues Bowie should be in the mix for the full squad in the not too distant future. Hopefully he gets a crack at the Championship next season. Helpful he plays in a bit of a problem position for Scotland too. He’s Rovers through and through, as well.

I get there'll be a bit of biased here... 

A bit soon?! we're not picking a striker who's scored 8 goals in League One. When you look at some of the strikers who aren't getting in the team, if you were to parachute them down to League One I'd guess they'd look allot better... 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Time for Malky Mackay to come back into things then. He'll go the u21s and Gemmill back to the u19s.

Why no love for Ricky Sbragia, he’d get them to be taller and run around more.  

Edited by Savage Henry

22 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Hearing that it's Peter Grant.

He was previously with the U21s was he not?

I don't know anything about him or his coaching philosophy but appointing a near 60 year old doesn't scream progressive up-and-coming coach to me. Someone put my mind at ease, please?!

30 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Get Ian Cathro in

That would be a coup and he is currently available but I seriously doubt they could afford him given he’s recently been on Premier League and Saudi wages.

21 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

That would be a coup and he is currently available but I seriously doubt they could afford him given he’s recently been on Premier League and Saudi wages.

.............. but is presently earning nothing at all? Assuming that's true, pretty sure we can afford him. Whether he wants to do it is another question entirely.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

.............. but is presently earning nothing at all? Assuming that's true, pretty sure we can afford him. Whether he wants to do it is another question entirely.

He's a great youth coach as I know personally first hand and would love him to get a gig in charge of the Scottish youth setup rather than the Starks and Gemmill's of this world. 

He is very ambitious and can't see us paying big wages however hopefully he might be tempted by a short term deal for a couple of years maybe

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think it would be a non-starter. The wages he’ll have been picking up in the last few years will probably have been not far off what we’re playing the manager of the Scotland senior team, never mind the u19s.

3 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I think it would be a non-starter. The wages he’ll have been picking up in the last few years will probably have been not far off what we’re playing the manager of the Scotland senior team, never mind the u19s.

I understand that. But it doesnt change the fact he's currently not earning a penny. What someone paid you last week is irrelevant. It only matters what your alternative job options are next week. Clearly a top club job would pay more but maybe nobody wants him currently. Its surprising he didnt go to Forest with Nuno. 

Or maybe he's made plenty money and fancies a go at international youths? 

Or maybe he wants a break from it and isnt interested amd thats why he didnt go to Forest. They wont know unless they ask. I dont think what he earned in his last job means anything at all to be honest. 

Wonder if someone like Gary Naysmith would be a good shout for the u21 or u19 job. Former international, decent pedigree as a manager. He'd likely see it as a step up and probably won't be on the radar for top clubs jobs.

Always quite liked him as a manager.