Buying a Chinese phone....

wunfellaff

11 hours ago, honestly united said:

I always get hit with them when I've bought stuff previously, although it does tend to depend on who delivers. In my experience TNT are the worst for having custom charges - every time you get charged, and they usually add on an admin fee as an added bonus, if its Parcel Force or Royal Mail who deliver you hardly ever get them.

Bugger the Customs and the 11/11 deals, you would have saved cash just by waiting for the Donald to win.

£/$ rates will be interesting in the morning.

On 04/11/2016 at 18:35, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Just ordered the Chuwi Hi10 Pro tablet + this original keyboard; http://www.gearbest.com/tablet-accessories/pp_353543.html £158 for both + £4.25 insurance. It better arrive in time for Christmas.

Anybody else.?? 

Gotta be quick.

https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Original-10-1-Inch-Chuwi-HI10-OS-Win10-Windows10-Tablet-PC-IntelCherry-Z8300-Quad-Core-4GB/32526335570.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=200001086

I got the Ulefone Future a couple of months ago and I can highly recommend it. It was £175 delivered from HK via geekbuying, (no customs sorry Njord :P, they put a fake receipt in the outer package stating it was a £12 charger.)

The bezel-less display is lovely and the phone is generally faultless at pretty much anything. The battery isn't brilliant though and GPS is a bit screwy.

On 11/12/2016 at 16:53, spud131 said:

Anyone have the xiaomi mi5? Considering getting one but looking to see what other think of it!

£239.70 @ Gearbest just now if you're still on the lookoutfor one. http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_294066.html?utm_source=mail_api&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=regular.1115&eo=lrkqjt6lqfs0njyt&email=b2t8IyNncXZlN2hIMExXbTZqOWg1ZHNhV21nK3dtWHozT29mK3I1Um81ZHBRbTFBPXwxMDAxMg==

Cheers for that. Think I'm going toeave it just now and see if any good deals are available on black friday. Bit wary of ordering from China with import taxes and if there are any issues with the item being faulty or damaged!

To X & ysym....

Yer phone has an imminent OTA upgrade due, which might sort any issues. Final bit of testing so keep checking the appropriate menu.

When I started this thread, I didn't think I would've bought so many of the Chinese ones.

Now, we have the Bluboo brothers, 3 Umi Supers with one on the way, an Elphone, and the Kings Dogee.

That doesn't include the One Plus fraternity, but they get network support over here so they're the relatives you don't speak of.

Boy I work with has had a play about with mine and is drooling over the preorder price for the Umi Plus E at the same price I paid but isn't sure he would get it afore travelling in December.

The marine biologist here is ordering one next week.

I'll be gutted if they get it as it'll be higher specced than mine :D , yet I'm also glad more folk are buying into the idea.

If you don't try it, you'll never know....

To X & ysym....

Yer phone has an imminent OTA upgrade due, which might sort any issues. Final bit of testing so keep checking the appropriate menu.

Cheers, got the upgrade earlier. I'm hoping it sorts out wee flaws like the screen rotation occasionally not working and the slow camera shutter speed. I was reading earlier that Bluboo have released an official statement to say that Android 7 will rollout on the Maya Max next year.[emoji4]

8 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Cheers, got the upgrade earlier. I'm hoping it sorts out wee flaws like the screen rotation occasionally not working and the slow camera shutter speed. I was reading earlier that Bluboo have released an official statement to say that Android 7 will rollout on the Maya Max next year.emoji4.png

Not showing on mine, but then I did get an update not that long ago

You can turn off the slow shutter in the camera options. It does make the auto-focus worse though

I don't think that is the ota I'm on about....

Only today it was still in development...

If still in development it'll probably take a wee while to roll out. Will keep an out for it though. Cheers. Only real noticeable difference I've come across in latest update so far is GPS & weather widgets added to the home screen.

10 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

If still in development it'll probably take a wee while to roll out. Will keep an out for it though. Cheers. Only real noticeable difference I've come across in latest update so far is GPS & weather widgets added to the home screen.

The one I seen mentioned was to iron out OTG connectivity issues amongst other things.

It is good to know there is at least some ongoing commitment by the manufacturers.