Peaky Blinders

beermonkey

Thought the season with the Russians was pish, same as this one. 2 out of 5 isn't great.

That was by far the worst series IMO.

This was 2nd worst felt like it was just laying a foundation for the next one though.

Much like the Russian series there was too much slow motion cuts and trying to make it look ‘cool’ as opposed to actual plot for my liking.

Bit of a disappointing end to a fairly meh series.  The problem with introducing a character like Mosely is that we know he's not going to get killed off, so it somewhat kills any suspense. 

It did, however, have Tom Hardy saying "c**t", so it wasn't all bad. 

Love the series, have to agree that the most recent was certainly not the best, still really enjoyed it though. A previous poster made a very good point, most of us knew that Mosely wasn't going to get the good news, because, well, history. Definitely made a difference. Always thought they could have got a better Churchill too.

Not a fan of long-running series doing film spin-offs, El Camino is a whole other debate but I reckon a prequel with them all in the trenches in World War 1 would be well tasty. Would definitely deserve a series rather than 90-120 minutes though.

I'm pretty sure even all of us on P&B can agree that it's the worst rendition of 'Billy Boys' ever. And I'm sure we've all heard some terrible ones. That accent, Jesus.

Apologies for double-posting, the soundtrack continues to be fucking amazing. Say what you want about the BBC, they've been doing nae bad in terms of dramas over the last couple of years though.

Not a fan of long-running series doing film spin-offs, El Camino is a whole other debate but I reckon a prequel with them all in the trenches in World War 1 would be well tasty. Would definitely deserve a series rather than 90-120 minutes though.

It’s generally accepted that the show is to cover the period between the wars. Given the loose ends there isn’t really an opportunity to skip ahead a few years like before. Probably a transition series in the early 30s, tommy realising he can’t get enough support from intelligence services/ government to take on Mosley from the inside. Moving towards getting public support against him and giving him a doing a cable street(with something preventing killing him)

You then need a pre-WW2 series to finish things off.

In terms of spin-offs. Not sure I’d want to follow the Shelby brothers at war. I think you need to go for a (near) clean break of either a post ww2 series with someone Finn stepping up after experiencing war himself.(and possible brothers being killed in whilst he was away). Maybe Micheal in America.

Or pre WW1, showing more the development of the gang. (Arthur snr. Polly Arthur junior etc being prominent with young Tommy being a more minor role but showing he he has ideas/visions for the gang that go beyond being a small street gang.

It’s generally accepted that the show is to cover the period between the wars. Given the loose ends there isn’t really an opportunity to skip ahead a few years like before. Probably a transition series in the early 30s, tommy realising he can’t get enough support from intelligence services/ government to take on Mosley from the inside. Moving towards getting public support against him and giving him a doing a cable street(with something preventing killing him)

You then need a pre-WW2 series to finish things off.

In terms of spin-offs. Not sure I’d want to follow the Shelby brothers at war. I think you need to go for a (near) clean break of either a post ww2 series with someone Finn stepping up after experiencing war himself.(and possible brothers being killed in whilst he was away). Maybe Micheal in America.

Or pre WW1, showing more the development of the gang. (Arthur snr. Polly Arthur junior etc being prominent with young Tommy being a more minor role but showing he he has ideas/visions for the gang that go beyond being a small street gang.

Very good points there sir, well made. I'd rather they didn't do a spin-off if I'm honest, they're all signed up until series 7 I believe? Think I saw that somewhere - although I might be talking pish. Another two series would be fine, think that would do.

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The most recent series was disappointing, and laughably bad at times - that billy boys thing with the bad accents was horrendous.

I'll watch the new series, but I'm not surprised it's ending. 

The accents were horrific.  I know that their Brummie accents are a bit all over the place, but surely someone that was on set during production must have heard what someone from Glasgow actually sounds like?

It made a poor season even worse, to be honest.  I made the point to someone on Twitter the other day, that it's like a computer game where Tommy levels up at the end of each series.  I expect he'll be the king by the end of it.

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The accents were horrific.  I know that their Brummie accents are a bit all over the place, but surely someone that was on set during production must have heard what someone from Glasgow actually sounds like?

Tommy Flanagan was in the first series so I'm sure they'd be aware. Seems baffling that they'd go for an Irishman over simply calling a Weegie in.

It made a poor season even worse, to be honest.  I made the point to someone on Twitter the other day, that it's like a computer game where Tommy levels up at the end of each series.  I expect he'll be the king by the end of it.
It was the scene that introduced the Billy Boys which was laughable - in the middle of the country and up comes the text "Glasgow" - it looked like a back road in Perthshire not Glasgow.

On 21/01/2021 at 09:08, KnightswoodBear said:

Think we might’ve had this discussion on Twitter at the time. That fucking Jimmy McCavern’s accent and the casting genuinely riled me. 

Of all the actors/accents - That guy?! WHY??

The cvnt almost made me pine for Gerard Butler.

Edited by 8MileBU