Paris

Henrik's tongue

I'm off to Paris next month for 5 days for two Stephen King author events (yes I'm an anorak). I'm a huge Stephen King fan and I've never been to Paris so 2 birds, one stone etc.

I'm basically looking for suggestions for cool things to do when I'm there other than annoying Mr King.

Please note: "throw yourself off the Eiffel Tower" is not a welcome or helpul response. :P

Thanks in advance for any tips oh learned P & Bers.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go from your hotel, to the event, then straight back to hotel. Paris is easily the most horrible place I have ever been. Dirty, disgusting and the clichèd ignorant frenchman is exactly what you get.

Expensive shite hole aswell.

Honest, for me the only place I can compare it to in terms of filthyness is Amsterdam but Paris has none of the fun to compensate.

AVOID

If it's the first time you've been then do the cliched tourist things to start. Get a tour on the Paris tour bus to get your bearings. Get a carnet ( book of tickets for the metro ) A great way to get around.

You only have 5 days so don't try to do too much. Concentrate on a couple of areas.

Great city

Go from your hotel, to the event, then straight back to hotel. Paris is easily the most horrible place I have ever been. Dirty, disgusting and the clichèd ignorant frenchman is exactly what you get.

Honest, for me the only place I can compare it to in terms of filthyness is Amsterdam but Paris has none of the fun to compensate.

AVOID

Wow. Paris is absolutely tremendous. You must have been visiting the wrong places. Helps if you learn a wee bit of the language. I am lucky in that my wife speaks fluent french.

Anyways, Paris is tremendous. There really is so much to do.

AVOID

:(

The events will take up 2 days. Unfortunately they are 3 days apart. Bottle of JD and the hotel room it is then :lol:

Visit The Catacombs which are totally dope. About a mile underground with loads of bones piled up.

Visit Pigalle which is the red light district. Home to the Sexodrome which is Europe's largest sex shop.

I would recommend hiring a bike and cycling about the city. They're various docking stations for the same bike company around with self serve stations.

If it's the first time you've been then do the cliched tourist things to start. Get a tour on the Paris tour bus to get your bearings. Get a carnet ( book of tickets for the metro ) A great way to get around.You only have 5 days so don't try to do too much. Concentrate on a couple of areas.Great city
Wow. Paris is absolutely tremendous. You must have been visiting the wrong places. Helps if you learn a wee bit of the language. I am lucky in that my wife speaks fluent french. Anyways, Paris is tremendous. There really is so much to do.
If it's the first time you've been then do the cliched tourist things to start. Get a tour on the Paris tour bus to get your bearings. Get a carnet ( book of tickets for the metro ) A great way to get around.You only have 5 days so don't try to do too much. Concentrate on a couple of areas.Great city
Thanks guys. More encouraging! The bus tour and the carnet for the metro sounds great.Cheers!

Visit The Catacombs which are totally dope. About a mile underground with loads of bones piled up. Visit Pigalle which is the red light district. Home to the Sexodrome which is Europe's largest sex shop. I would recommend hiring a bike and cycling about the city. They're various docking stations for the same bike company around with self serve stations.

Excellent! Thanks for the tips mate.

Blimey how different people's experiences are.

Loved Paris...history around every corner. Would go back in a minute. Some sully stereotypical frenches but most were nice enough especially if you made an effort to try and speak some French.

Can't go wrong with The Louvre...some stunning stuff to see in there. Take sandwiches ..food was stupidly expensive.

Found Notre Dame Cathedral surprisingly interesting considering I wasn't that keen to go.

Went up the tower but to be honest didn't really enjoy that....possibly I wasn't in the right frame of mind having had to pull my jacket tight with a pickpocket literally in contact with me all the way through the queue to get in. 45 minutes and he ddn't even flinch when I told him to f*** off. Saw him on second level getting dogs abuse from an American after he tried to dip his bag. Vindicated as my Mrs thought I was being paranoid and Xenophobic

Must pay them to do it as again entry wasn't cheap to be doing that a few times a day.

Paris is a fantastic city, I would recommend getting a metro pass. Head up to Montmartre and walk up to the Sacre Coeur, there's loads of street artists and a brilliant view at the top.

Just keep an eye out for pickpockets.

Also the gardens around the city like Luxembourg and Tuileries are worth a jaunt around.

I've been to Paris a few times & actually really enjoyed it. Could maybe do with a clean but I dunno if I'd say it was really dirty.

Met a few arrogant locals but not too many and you just take them with a pinch of salt. Met ignorant punters everywhere I've been. As for expensive, yes it's that as well but it's a capital city & one of the most famous cities in the world.

Visit the Sacre Coeur as you get a decent view of the city from there. Yes, the Eiffel Tower is a better view but it's queued to fúck plus the fact it's filled with pretentious arsehole couples who are trying to out in-love each other.

There's Pere Lachaise cemetery to go for a wee browse as well. Personally, if I'm in a foreign city I just like going for a wander through the streets and just get a feel of the place. I'd do that then nip into one of the numerous wee cafes for un petit refreshment.

Failing that, head to the Auld Alliance every night & get blootered on TL.

The Paris Metro is fantastic (although a bit dodgy later at night). Be prepared for some lengthy queues if you decide to do the more touristy things (like the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower), that or get there bloody early.

A big tip though, try and shit in your hotel... Don't get caught out needing to use a cafe toilet for a shit, cause it'll likely be one of those hole in the ground jobs instead of a proper pan. (Anyone who's been to France will understand what I'm failing miserably to describe here).

I had pretty bad luck with food over there. Got some pretty decent lunches at cafe's and the like, but failed to find a decent restaurant for evening meals which is something that surprised me. I was only there for 3 days though, so perhaps I just had really bad luck. I quite like all the fancy pretentious food types so I was quite looking forward the renowned French cuisine. Might go back some day and try again.

Edit: This is the type of toilet I refer to:

turkish-toilet.jpg

Don't listen to him mate, Paris is easily the best city I've visited. Not that I've visited many cities, but Paris is a wonderful city.

Rome is better IMO. Paris is on a par with Amsterdam. Quite fancy Berlin or Munich though. Only city I've visited in Germany is Nuremburg, which was fantastic - but I was only there for the nearby beer festival (Bergkirchweih at Erlangen).

Actually.... Vegas is better. I love Vegas.

Paris is amazing.

The most fascinating thing I seen whilst there was the Napoleons tomb at Les Invalides. I did all the touristy stuff and found most of it amazing.

Be prepared to spend some cash! The place is ridiculously expensive. I'd say its the most expensive city I've visited.

The Champs-Élysées definately worth a wander down too if only for the chance to say "Jesus Christ....how much....for a f****g handbag.... Monsieur Vuitton... tu est merding moi"

Som of the car showrooms are special...not many places in the world they'll show them off like this.

Paris is amazing.

The most fascinating thing I seen whilst there was the Napoleons tomb at Les Invalides. I did all the touristy stuff and found most of it amazing.

Be prepared to spend some cash! The place is ridiculously expensive. I'd say its the most expensive city I've visited.

A hot dog outside la louvre is 7 euros. T'was a nice hot dog, at least.

Archived