Paris

Henrik's tongue

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highly recommend Versailles. Palace is fabulous and the well-kept gardens are huge.

Take a half day to stroll around the two little islands in the Seine. Ile de la Cite has Notre Dame but Ile Saint Louis is packed with little streets and lanes to just meander through.

Avoid eating in the touristy places as you'll pay well over the odds for a lower standard of grub than if you eat in off the beaten track places frequented by Parisiens.

And mind yer wallet!

• 6 months later...

Booked for a week at the end of June with the girlfriend, staying in an apartment near the Arc de Triomphe so any suggestions on decent restaurants, bars etc would be appreciated, as we as any things to do outside the main touristy stuff!

There's Cafe Kleber on Rue Kleber, about halfway between the Arc and the Trocadero. There are some others whose names I can't recall in that area.

Whatever you do do NOT eat on the Champs ( but you knew that anyway! )

Edited 'cause someone came to the door mid post

I was a student in Paris in the 80's.....Auld fecker, me 8)

Anyhoo, most of the Top Touristy Traps have been mentioned, so I'll throw in a few that are not so far off the beaten track :-

1. Monet's House & Garden, Giverny - where he painted the water lily canvasses. Take the train from Gare Saint Lazare (on the Rouen / Le Havre line) to Vernon, then get a cab to the house.

http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm

2. Parc La Villette - always a ton of things to do and see http://www.villette.com/en/

3. Melac - You can check this out on TripAdvisor. http://bistrot-melac.fr/

4. Chartiers - Traditional French food in an amazing atmosphere. Cannot recommend this highly enough. http://www.bouillon-chartier.com/en/

5. Galerie Nationale Jeu de Paume, Place de la Concorde http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galerie_nationale_du_Jeu_de_Paume

And one other thing, my flight is supposed to land at 7, and I'm staying at an apartment so I need to arrange a time to meet the owner to get keys etc. It takes an hour to get from CDG to the apartment on the bus so how long should I expect getting through customs and collecting a bag to take and when should I tell her to meet me?

Edit: 7PM btw.

And one other thing, my flight is supposed to land at 7, and I'm staying at an apartment so I need to arrange a time to meet the owner to get keys etc. It takes an hour to get from CDG to the apartment on the bus so how long should I expect getting through customs and collecting a bag to take and when should I tell her to meet me?

Edit: 7PM btw.

Is your apt. in central Paris ? If so, don't take a bus, take the RER into Chatelet / Les Halles, for example.

Also, how many Euros do folk think I'll need for a week in Paris with a woman? I'd guess a lot but just a rough guess? 1000?

For 1,000 euros you would get half the female population of Fife volunteering to go with you - with their maw an all. You'd then have to factor in travel, food and accommodation costs.

For 1,000 euros you would get half the female population of Fife volunteering to go with you - with their maw an all. You'd then have to factor in travel, food and accommodation costs.

Already got the travel, accomodation and the woman.

• 3 months later...

Going in Nov for 3 nights on a long weekend with missus. How much would you recommend taking for spending money? It's both our first time and would probably do a mixture of the main touristy things and just a bit of walking around

Considering its about 7 euros for a decent lunch ill let you make your own mind up

Going in Nov for 3 nights on a long weekend with missus. How much would you recommend taking for spending money? It's both our first time and would probably do a mixture of the main touristy things and just a bit of walking around

It's ragingly expensive. You're looking at 60+ euros per meal if you're eating out so probably about 120-150 euros a day between you to be safe and including spending on attractions.

• 3 months later...

Bump

Heading to Paris on Friday. Has anyone done the stadium tour?

State de France or Parc de Princes? I went to the Parc de Princes to do a stadium tour but it was during summer and there was work being done to the stadium so they weren't doing any unfortunately.

Guest bernardblack

State de France or Parc de Princes? I went to the Parc de Princes to do a stadium tour but it was during summer and there was work being done to the stadium so they weren't doing any unfortunately.

Parc de princes. Really want to go, but not sure how long it will take out the day etc

Archived