Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Bit harsh on Galloway mate, the only 2 holes there are Stranraer and Whithorn. Whithorn is a truly bizarre place where it's resoanbly common for children to be born with 6 fingers - no word of a lie!

Must come from Newton. I quote the original article

Newton Stewart, where much of the cult 1973 horror film The Wicker Man was filmed, is labelled “the town that God forgot”, while the residents are described as “desperate to escape” and “deranged looking”.

Stranraer is a million times better than Newton. Anywhere is a million times better than Newton to be fair

And then when you compare them to what South Ayrshire has to offer......

The finish to that sentence would be ...they don't compare very favourably as South Ayrshire offers so much more.

Bit harsh on Galloway mate, the only 2 holes there are Stranraer and Whithorn. Whithorn is a truly bizarre place where it's resoanbly common for children to be born with 6 fingers - no word of a lie!

A mate of my dad's was a psychiatric nurse for a number of years, and he was mainly employed at the secure units at the old Crichton hospital. He maintains that many of the patients originated from the west of the region, and that most of their symptoms could be traced back to the somewhat shallow gene pool in that part of the world.

If only they'd had a multiplex or a bowling alley for entertainment instead...

Bo'ness comes in two halfs. The half at the top of the hill is decent enough. I do a bit of tutoring up there. Lovely houses and good folk.

The bottom half is the most soul-destroying place I've ever been. Worked there for a few shifts a couple of summers ago. Depressing stuff.

Try living down there for a year and a half, and you'll know the real meaning of soul-destroying.

Granted I lived in the dodgiest set of council flats in Bo'ness, but even taking that out of the equation, the town itself was a bit like a ghost town whenever I was there, and it did seem that (as a very general rule) the further up the hill you went the nicer the houses were.

The lack of decent pubs there didn't help, there are only about one or two I can think of.

Thank feck I moved to Falkirk, then Edinburgh after that!

Dumfries has a multiplex?

I'm sure you would trade it all in for a decent swimming pool however

Nah, it's got an ancient cinema with one screen where you can sometimes hear the bingo next door and a wee cinema which puts on indie films (Dumfries is an University town and intellectual melting pot.)

Yes :( I miss the Old Pool rather than £28 Million shit replacement.

New Cumnock won the Plook of the Plinth earlier this year http://www.urbanrealm.com/carbuncles/2012/The_Carbuncle_Awards_2013.html,now Killie gets this. East Ayrshire cooncil are doing a grand job.

I notice that Ayr had been nominated for 2013 Plook on the Plinth. I wish it had won, get the cooncil off their arses to something about the place. A few others were nominated too.

http://www.urbanrealm.com/carbuncles/2012/nominations/4/Plook_on_the_Plinth_Award.html

Edited by Tryfield

Try living down there for a year and a half, and you'll know the real meaning of soul-destroying.

Granted I lived in the dodgiest set of council flats in Bo'ness, but even taking that out of the equation, the town itself was a bit like a ghost town whenever I was there, and it did seem that (as a very general rule) the further up the hill you went the nicer the houses were.

The lack of decent pubs there didn't help, there are only about one or two I can think of.

Thank feck I moved to Falkirk, then Edinburgh after that!

Folk would be asking me at the end of May / beginning of June if I was ready for the fair, that happens at the end of July. I used to take great delight in asking if they were looking forward to the galaday. Once had a boy actually turn red with rage as he literally (like, literally) screamed at me that it was a fair and not a galaday. I of course pretended that it was an innocent mistake :lol:

It is a gala day but never, ever call it that in Bo'ness.

Every year on Facebook I go onto the Bo'ness fair page and post that I hope they enjoy the galaday. The utter SEETHE it gets is tremendous.

Ballingry is just a depressing horrible place to drive through, it shouldn't be as it has some nice scenery around it but there's just something about it that screams shithole.

Fife does seem to have lots of wee ex mining towns that have just been forgotten about and are now pretty similar.

No redeeming features or things to do. They are far worse than Cowdenbeath.

Must come from Newton. I quote the original article

Stranraer is a million times better than Newton. Anywhere is a million times better than Newton to be fair

The finish to that sentence would be ...they don't compare very favourably as South Ayrshire offers so much more.

No mate I'm not from Newton but to say that Stranraer is a million times better? Absolute drivel.

You are trying to me that places like Cumnock and Auchinleck offer something? Get a grip!

No mate I'm not from Newton but to say that Stranraer is a million times better? Absolute drivel.

You are trying to me that places like Cumnock and Auchinleck offer something? Get a grip!

In comparison to Newton Stewart yes I am. At least Auchinleck and Cumnock are within relative touching distance of civilisation, and offer some local employment. However I think you'll find that both of those towns are in East Ayrshire. Not South as you mentioned.

I will say it again. Stranraer is a million times better than Newton Stewart

Hmmm - Anyone that's lived or had anything to do with Bo'ness knows the Fair Day / Gala Day, whatever folk want to call it happens at the end of June. And you'll not get a bite out of me with any Fair/Gala Day bait! :D I enjoyed the day-off, piss-up novelty when I was younger, now I can't be arsed taking the day off work! Don't live in Bo'ness now though and I'm glad my daughter won't be going to school in Bo'ness when she starts and won't cost me a fortune having to buy a dress and build an arch!

Apologies - meant to write June, wrote July by accident.

The 'best' fair fact I ever heard is that parents will deliberately try to get their child into whichever school will pick the fair queen by the time their child is at the end of primary 7. I've even heard of parents moving house to get into the right catchment area.

As I've said on another thread in the past, the Bo'ness Fair seems to be an excuse for morons to get drunk and sing bigoted songs from 6am in the morning.

I've seen this Bo'ness Fair/Gala Day stuff a few times on here, can someone tell me what the f**k the difference between a fair and a gala day is and why the people of Bo'ness care so much?

Edited by Dunning1874