Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

Obviously a wide variety of suggestions for this depending on the criteria.

I'll defend poor wee Newton though. Nice location, decent enough range of local shops, scenic location. A few too many boy racers though.

I'll also leap to the defence of Lochgilphead seeing as I live here. Beautiful location, even more so when the tide's in. Plenty of services for locals, a few good pubs. Ok, housing's not wonderfully diverse within the town but there are some really nice streets.

Dumps I've seen on my travels with few redeeming qualities: Peterhead, Crosshill, Patna, Dalmellington, Tullibody, Salsburgh, Forth, Fauldhouse, the whole Alexandria area (inc. Jamestown and Renton), Port Glasgow, Knockentiber and Muirkirk - it's got a totem pole at one end!

Obviously a wide variety of suggestions for this depending on the criteria.

I'll defend poor wee Newton though. Nice location, decent enough range of local shops, scenic location. A few too many boy racers though.

I'll also leap to the defence of Lochgilphead seeing as I live here. Beautiful location, even more so when the tide's in. Plenty of services for locals, a few good pubs. Ok, housing's not wonderfully diverse within the town but there are some really nice streets.

Dumps I've seen on my travels with few redeeming qualities: Peterhead, Crosshill, Patna, Dalmellington, Tullibody, Salsburgh, Forth, Fauldhouse, the whole Alexandria area (inc. Jamestown and Renton), Port Glasgow, Knockentiber and Muirkirk - it's got a totem pole at one end!

Alexandria is 'Balloch adjacent' which has got to be a wee plus point. The 'Golden Star' (???) is a great wee curry house and Balloch is just 'nice'.

Alexandria is 'Balloch adjacent' which has got to be a wee plus point. The 'Golden Star' (???) is a great wee curry house and Balloch is just 'nice'.

Yeah proximity to Loch Lomond is a good thing about that area but they just seem to have made a meal of it post WW2.

In an unprecedented move, I'm going to leap to the defence of Peterhead. It's not the greatest but it is in no way deserving of a nomination for the worst in Scotland.

Fraserburgh on the other hand...

Arbroath fan's sour grapes after last Saturday's 3-1 humping by City methinks

Not at all, Brechin is like the Village of the Damned, horrible wee place.

As for other places in my experiences from going around the country following us and doing other things aswell it surely has to be somewhere in Fife. When I was a trainee QS in my last job I was sent all over Fife doing measures on roofs/roughcast and some of the places I came across were surreal. :lol:

There was one wee place that was horrible no far from Dunfermline I think cant mind the name of it, had a wee shopping bit that was in a square horseshoe shape in the centre with these flats on the top, was measuring them one week and the next week they were in the news for some massive drug bust.... did 100s of them in the deepest darkest places in Fife, right strange wee places like Ballingry/Cardenden/Lochgelly/Oakley where you go from driving through lovely countryside to wee horrible schemes full of jakeys. Its a right strange place Fife, St Andrews is tremendous however.

Other than that some places on the outskirts of Glasgow and some places in Ayrshire have also looked pretty grim.

I like Angus, Brechin aside Angus is actually decent IMO.

In Arbroath have everything you could need in a town of 25k, not to big, not to small, by the sea with some beautiful countryside and the cliffs, close enough to the big 4 cities, 10-15 minutes from Dundee, 45 minutes from Aberdeen, hour to Edinburgh and an hour and a half to Glasgow. It has its rough parts but on the whole I think its quite a nice place to stay.

As for other places in my experiences from going around the country following us...

There was one wee place that was horrible no far from Dunfermline I think cant mind the name of it, had a wee shopping bit that was in a square horseshoe shape in the centre with these flats on the top, was measuring them one week and the next week they were in the news for some massive drug bust....

1) Brechin's fine, although admittedly the bit down the hill on the road out to Montrose (unfortunately the only view the bus travellers get) isn't exactly prime real estate.

2) Sounds like Abbeyview.

As for other places in my experiences from going around the country following us and doing other things aswell it surely has to be somewhere in Fife. When I was a trainee QS in my last job I was sent all over Fife doing measures on roofs/roughcast and some of the places I came across were surreal. :lol:

There was one wee place that was horrible no far from Dunfermline I think cant mind the name of it, had a wee shopping bit that was in a square horseshoe shape in the centre with these flats on the top, was measuring them one week and the next week they were in the news for some massive drug bust.... did 100s of them in the deepest darkest places in Fife, right strange wee places like Ballingry/Cardenden/Lochgelly/Oakley where you go from driving through lovely countryside to wee horrible schemes full of jakeys. Its a right strange place Fife, St Andrews is tremendous however.

For a relatively small area Fife is very diverse. The Ballingry/Cardenden area you mentioned is pretty grim. In general I don't think the South of Fife is as bad as some make out and it has certainly improved, and has some nice beaches as a bonus.

The East Neuk area to St Andrews and right around the coast to the Tay bridges is all generally nice and a million miles away from the South and West. When most people think of Fife, especially those from the West coast, they tend to think of Kirkcaldy/Dunfermline/Methil.

For a relatively small area Fife is very diverse. The Ballingry/Cardenden area you mentioned is pretty grim. In general I don't think the South of Fife is as bad as some make out and it has certainly improved, and has some nice beaches as a bonus.

The East Neuk area to St Andrews and right around the coast to the Tay bridges is all generally nice and a million miles away from the South and West. When most people think of Fife, especially those from the West coast, they tend to think of Kirkcaldy/Dunfermline/Methil.

The best example of this is probably Culross and High Valleyfield. One is a lovely wee traditional coastal village, a lot of it owned by the National Trust. The other less than a mile away is a redundant mining village hellhole which has been ravaged by drink and drug abuse where going on to do any sort of Higher at school is a truely exceptional achievement.

Eta: It's largely driven by the geology btw. The strata across Fife is chopped up an incredible amount with the worst places on the seemingly random coal seam blocks littered amongst the nice original places on the useless stuff. ;)

Abbeyview is the exception, an abortion of post-war town planning, some of which has already been demolished ages ago it was so bad (see Trondheim Parkway - 'Dunfermline's Street of Shame')

Edited by Hedgecutter

In an unprecedented move, I'm going to leap to the defence of Peterhead. It's not the greatest but it is in no way deserving of a nomination for the worst in Scotland.

Our bus driver nipped into the main street on one trip to the Bloo Toon and was shocked to see drugs being sold openly on the streets there, and he's a Maryhill boy. It is as windy as feck, and probably one of the only grounds in Scotland where the wee ball boys tell you feck off.

Fraserburgh is fucking grim like.

I walked through the town centre through the day and it had an eery, ghost town feel to it. f**k knows what it must feel like at night time.

I walked through the town centre through the day and it had an eery, ghost town feel to it. f**k knows what it must feel like at night time.

That said, it does have a Lighthouse Museum.

And the Queen's Baton passed through it unscathed a few days ago. Good turn out for it too it has to be said.

Someone mentioned Fallin earlier - I used to spend a bit of time there, and it seemed a decent enough place to live, especially as Stirling town centre is within walking distance. Bit miserable if you're an auld yin though, I'd have thought. Plean was a different matter - miserable hellhole with constant running neighbourhood battles and weans breaking everything, along with the worst chippy I've ever been in, where they seemed to have cooked everything the day before. I see they've built lots of new housing in the last decade, and it looked a bit nicer last time I passed through.

I've lived in both Alloa and Sauchie, and both are nice quiet wee places to live, assuming you're happy to travel through to Stirling or Falkirk for entertainment. Tullibody's a different matter, or was when I spent more time there, ten or fifteen years ago. It's just housing, a pub, and a chippy. Oh, and the Tron Court shopping area, which was entirely derelict when last I saw it, barring three shops. And one of them was an empty hole that someone had parked a few arcade machines in (of the Super Sprint vintage).

I'd like to think that Tron Court would be a bustling, vibrant shopping area by now, purely for the local community's sanity.