Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

No help I'm afraid but I thought the value of Bitcoin was that it was a cost free, frictionless and very fast way of transferring money?

It's none of these at the moment.

Been waiting days for a small transaction with a reasonable fee to confirm but it's stuck in the backlog and I refuse to pay a larger fee as that just encourages higher fees.

Bitcoin cash added to Coinbase and the servers shit the bed again. Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin all take a nosedive. The whole thing is crazy!
Sold some BCC earlier as well.

Btc unconfirmed transactions and stupid fees at the moment is going to put a lot of people off.

My BCC sale cost a few cents.

Think I'll wait and see if it goes back to about 18.5k and maybe cash out a bit more.

On 20/12/2017 at 21:05, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Sold some BCC earlier as well.

Btc unconfirmed transactions and stupid fees at the moment is going to put a lot of people off.

My BCC sale cost a few cents.

Think I'll wait and see if it goes back to about 18.5k and maybe cash out a bit more.

BTC nosedives to under £10k.

Hopefully just a case of history repeating. It has a history of large drops followed by astronomical gains. I'm wary of the vat though that at one point, the large drop will be the crash. Don't feel this is it yet though, or at least I hope not. 

Possibly a bit of profit taking as well as frustration with high fees and unconfirmed transactions.

I'm going for bubble and a big crash soon but probably there is one more spike left.

It really has shit the bed today but I genuinely think it'll go mental again just after Christmas. The fact all the Coinbase services have dropped a huge amount gives me hope that they'll all pick up again.

I've no idea what will happen to crypto currencies in the short to medium term but if I owned any I'd be wary of waiting till the last minute before bailing.

One worry is that when people do try to rush for the exit they find it blocked. I have been selling some of the Bitcoin I bought 18 months ago, paying about £60.

In theory that is simple enough and indeed I have sold £500 worth for a small fee. But actually getting that cash into my sterling bank account is far from seamless - so far I am a week in to what promises to be a two-week process.

Hardly the frictionless finance that was promised by Bitcoin's advocates and if the rush to sell gathers pace there is a good chance that the system seizes up completely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42454876

I left £100 profit in cryptocurrency a week ago and am currently sitting at 2 grand. All risk free as I cashed out a few hundred in profit earlier this year. If I could just repeat that and 20x my current portfolio I'll be a very happy man.

On 12/18/2017 at 08:48, Ross. said:

XLM took a fair jump over the weekend. Had been sitting around 13-15c for a while but pretty much double that now.

Another jump in the last few days. Up to around 65c at the time of writing. Sitting on 10x my initial buy in now, which means nothing until I actually sell it...

Furniture makers and drink manufacturers are changing their names to incorporate "block chain" and finding their share values increase by 400%. This is a market of pure speculation with no underlying value, and a serious risk of regulatory stamping down. Good luck to all the P+B buyers, and hope you all time it right to sell. Gutted I didn't step in 5 years ago tbf. Heard there's now more than a thousand crypto currencies.

Edited by welshbairn

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Furniture makers and drink manufacturers are changing their names to incorporate "block chain" and finding their share values increase by 400%. This is a market of pure speculation with no underlying value, and a serious risk of regulatory stamping down. Good luck to all the P+B buyers, and hope you all time it right to sell. Gutted I didn't step in 5 years ago tbf. Heard there's now more than a thousand crypto currencies.

It's viewed as a get rich quick scheme, no doubt, but there will be a few that survive and flourish thanks to the technology behind them. There will be as much luck as there will be skill involved in having backed the right horse. I have always viewed it as a larger than I would normally make punt. If it comes in, great, if it doesn't, f**k it.

ETA: https://mobile.twitter.com/zerohedge/status/949284041362112512

Edited by Ross.

• 2 weeks later...