Fallout 4

Goran

7 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Reading the wiki there and i came across a article written by a butthurt fanboy about how Bethesda are "ruining the franchise"

"Bethesda's take on the Fallout franchise is truly destructive to the series as a whole. They are taking away the choice, immersion, and RPG mechanics in favor of shocking gore, combat, and in Fallout 4's case, settlement building. Bethesda is also throwing out lore consistency in order to "have fun" with the writing, as Pete Hines said. Bethesda is making their own series with the Fallout branding, and completely disregarding the story, lore, and fans of the original Fallout games."

While i agree that the RPG elements were dumbed down in 4, i don't agree that they are destroying the franchise. End of the day Bethesda bought the rights to an cult franchise that wasn't well known outside of the US and turned it into a worldwide franchise that is highly regarded. Only reason the original makers sold up was because they had run out of money trying to make their own 3rd title because cult titles don't tend to be profitable.

You're forgetting the internet these days when it comes to video games.  If you're not violently on one side and threatening the other side with death, calling them an SJW or a fanboy, then you're not doing it right.

As with a lot of arguments, it has some weight, but of course it isn't ruining the franchise.  Some people who loved the original will hate it.  Some will be the complete opposite and will now love the thing.  The sense of entitlement some seem to have is baffling.

Do you know, Ive never played it, other than starting it and playing about 5 minutes

Cant remember why I stopped

Get it done. The choices you make actually affect things, whereas in this you're on a path regardless of it all.

The karma system makes the games hugely more enjoyable too.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

You're forgetting the internet these days when it comes to video games.  If you're not violently on one side and threatening the other side with death, calling them an SJW or a fanboy, then you're not doing it right.

As with a lot of arguments, it has some weight, but of course it isn't ruining the franchise.  Some people who loved the original will hate it.  Some will be the complete opposite and will now love the thing.  The sense of entitlement some seem to have is baffling.

You get idiots like that with just about everything "I liked it before they were popular, therefor i am a true fan and you arent, my voice carries more weight"

54 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I think thats the same with me. Something else must have come along or I would probably have stuck with it.

I'll go back to it at some point

You should, its a completely different game from Fallout 4, gameplay wise its inferior, the shooting mechanics are kinda meh and theres more reliance on VATS but compared to 4 there is a vastly larger variety of weapons, different situational ammo types, more choice in terms of how you want to approach a quest, more significant faction options and compared to 4 your decisions just have more weight to them, there can be subtle little choices you make that can ultimately have a large impact on a companions life and their story. Plus New Vegas has some of the best written DLC's ive ever seen

New Vegas is king for me. I never had more fun being an absolute arsehole in a game more than NV. All in I've thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 4, but never had any interest in the settlement side so game has been a tiny bit lacking for me.

8 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

You get idiots like that with just about everything "I liked it before they were popular, therefor i am a true fan and you arent, my voice carries more weight"

Its not new. I remember at school people scoffing at comedy shows on TV because they had been into them since they were on the radio :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

You should, its a completely different game from Fallout 4, gameplay wise its inferior, the shooting mechanics are kinda meh and theres more reliance on VATS but compared to 4 there is a vastly larger variety of weapons, different situational ammo types, more choice in terms of how you want to approach a quest, more significant faction options and compared to 4 your decisions just have more weight to them, there can be subtle little choices you make that can ultimately have a large impact on a companions life and their story. Plus New Vegas has some of the best written DLC's ive ever seen

I will. 

Mod recommendations please :)

I'd like to see FO5 take place around a border. Ideally the US/Canada border. There would potentially be scope to have more interesting factions, particularly in a Canada that was less war-ravaged. 

Set the game in the Detroit area with half the map over the border in Windsor. Or Niagra.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I get the impression that they'll be featuring space travel or something in fallout 5 after seeing the vault exhibition in Nuka World.

I dont think I'd like that, tbh.

I think they'll stick with America, simply to keep the BoS in it. I'd hope they bring Karma back into it though, little things like having a BoS companion with you, while wandering around the Railroads secret base, ruin the whole experience, whereas such an event in New Vegas would see you walking into a huge gunfight. None of the new factions compare anywhere near to the Legion either, who are outstanding whether you loved them or hated them.

Im actually wanting the next fallout to be set somewhere other than the US, we really have no idea what has happened to the rest of the world after China and the US launched nukes at each other, did other countries fire nukes? We know there was a limited nuclear exchange in europe 20 years prior to the main strike and from the limited accounts i can find suggest europe was already pretty much a wasteland before the bombs fell.

There are so many unanswered questions about the world of fallout and for a change id love to see a new setting

On 4 September 2016 at 19:15, Mr X said:

Depends what you want to do.

There are a few that add stuff to the crafting - like robots and factory stuff and two "story" add ons that have extra quests and areas to explore.

Theres a list here - clicky

Cheers lad. Far harbour and nuka world definitely appeal more than the others as I would like a few new quests to get stuck into. Hopefully they're quite in depth and not just a few side type quests. 

2 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Im actually wanting the next fallout to be set somewhere other than the US, we really have no idea what has happened to the rest of the world after China and the US launched nukes at each other, did other countries fire nukes? We know there was a limited nuclear exchange in europe 20 years prior to the main strike and from the limited accounts i can find suggest europe was already pretty much a wasteland before the bombs fell.

There are so many unanswered questions about the world of fallout and for a change id love to see a new setting

the lead designer of New Vegas has had the plans for a game set during the 2050s. Witch was a team of British solders trying to get back from Italy 

4 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

New Vegas is the game I have enjoyed most. There was usually numerous ways to complete quests and you had the option of playing as a good neutral or evil character. The old world blues dlc was great as well.

I enjoyed New Vegas until I started the Dead Money DLC and playing that killed my interest in the game 

18 hours ago, mizfit said:

I get the impression that they'll be featuring space travel or something in fallout 5 after seeing the vault exhibition in Nuka World.

Thought the exact same when I seen that, they went out of their way to show that vaults were being made on other planets. Not keen on it tbh.

21 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

New Vegas is king for me. I never had more fun being an absolute arsehole in a game more than NV. All in I've thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 4, but never had any interest in the settlement side so game has been a tiny bit lacking for me.

NV is definitely the best so far imo. Enjoyed F4 but they've focused on gunplay (which is massively improved to be fair) and settlement building, at the expense of most other things. The main quest I completed way back in January and have had no interest in playing it again since then.

46 minutes ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

Thought the exact same when I seen that, they went out of their way to show that vaults were being made on other planets. Not keen on it tbh.

NV is definitely the best so far imo. Enjoyed F4 but they've focused on gunplay (which is massively improved to be fair) and settlement building, at the expense of most other things. The main quest I completed way back in January and have had no interest in playing it again since then.

Even with the 4 different factions in FO4 the choices in picking a side feel like they have no real weight, all that really changes is that the rival factions become hostile against you, but for the commonwealth as a whole it honestly doesn't feel like anything changes. Plus with one of the factions really having no real overall effect (the minutemen) it just feels like nothing really changes. 

Fallout 4 is a fun game, but with the fun things they added they took something away that they shouldn't have. But i will say this, the game is a fantastic template for modding and i think thats will ultimately keep the game afloat. Modding keeps Skyrim going strongly even today