Fallout 4

Goran

I dunno. I've always preferred high fantasy settings to post-apocalyptic ones, so that'd be a factor. I guess I was just expecting a bit more from this one. This feels more like Fallout: Boston (in the same way as Fallout: New Vegas) rather than a sequel.

Thats not an unfair comment, I guess. Theres not a whole lot thats new in the game engine.

I still think, though, that 4 isnt any worse in this respect to 3 or Skyrim. Although, maybe I just havent played it enough yet

I'm still enjoying it greatly. It's Fallout 3 tarted up with a few bells and whistles, which is fine by me. There's only so many iconic locations they can do, I suppose. I wasn't terribly au fait with the New Vegas locations either, despite having been to the real life place, which I put down to the world being based on the Vegas of the Fifties, which was a very different beast to the one we're familiar with now.

I had the opposite problem to Gaz, in that I usually find fantasy pretty tepid, so Fallout is much more my cup of tea than the Elder Scrolls. Still didn't stop me putting in plenty of hours on Skyrim, although I'd only just got around to choosing a side when last I played it (323 hours in, apparently :blink: ). I really don't think Bethesda's modern games are for people who just want to work through a storyline to the end, as the main plot is never any great shakes. It's all about exploring the environment, meeting new characters, and finding interesting little distractions. I don't think I'd recommend them to anyone who thought that sounded tedious, despite being some of the best games around, IMO.

Edit: anyway, I just stumbled upon that Swann character you've all been talking about :shutup

Reminded me of the end of Episode 1 of Quake, where you run to pick up a weapon at the edge of a sea of lava, only for a massive monster to rear up right in front of you.

Also, I swear I found the bar from Cheers just off from the same location! I kept thinking it seemed very familiar, until I noticed two skeletons propped up at the bar, one of which was wearing a postman's uniform. I'd completely forgotten that show was based in Boston.

Also, Vault 75 has a bunch of kids' building blocks arranged to spell out 'GARY' :P

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

Played fallout 3 and New Vegas for around 100 hours each and around 45 hours into Fallout 4. I'm still really enjoying fallout 4, love the exploration and reading through the back stories of some of the locations. I think there is between 400 and 500 locations in fallout 4 so still got plenty to find. I've barely touched the main quest so far.

I much prefer the wasteland, I've tried and failed to get into Skyrim a few times.

Played fallout 3 and New Vegas for around 100 hours each and around 45 hours into Fallout 4. I'm still really enjoying fallout 4, love the exploration and reading through the back stories of some of the locations. I think there is between 400 and 500 locations in fallout 4 so still got plenty to find. I've barely touched the main quest so far.

I much prefer the wasteland, I've tried and failed to get into Skyrim a few times.

GET OUT!

I'm the same with Skyrim. Despite enjoying Morrowind as a youngster, nowadays the fantasy setting doesn't really grip me much. I find the whole world of Fallout far more enthralling and also has that great dark sense of humour I found lacking in Elder Scrolls games.

As a setting, I much prefer post apocalypse to fantasy.

This being said, in the two big RPGs released this year, the Witcher 3 beats Fallout 4.

I'm not saying Fallout is a bad game, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm currently level 41 and on the molecular level section of the main quest, so have done a lot of side quests and exploration.

The problem is they're bad RPGs now. The level building for characters has been dumbed down to a bare minimum and in all Bethesda games now your choices don't have much impact on the game. The chat wheel in FO4 is a disgrace quite frankly.

Someone on reddit said they don't make fantasy games any more, they make sandboxes. Seems accurate.

I'm still enjoying it greatly. It's Fallout 3 tarted up with a few bells and whistles, which is fine by me. There's only so many iconic locations they can do, I suppose. I wasn't terribly au fait with the New Vegas locations either, despite having been to the real life place, which I put down to the world being based on the Vegas of the Fifties, which was a very different beast to the one we're familiar with now.

I had the opposite problem to Gaz, in that I usually find fantasy pretty tepid, so Fallout is much more my cup of tea than the Elder Scrolls. Still didn't stop me putting in plenty of hours on Skyrim, although I'd only just got around to choosing a side when last I played it (323 hours in, apparently :blink: ). I really don't think Bethesda's modern games are for people who just want to work through a storyline to the end, as the main plot is never any great shakes. It's all about exploring the environment, meeting new characters, and finding interesting little distractions. I don't think I'd recommend them to anyone who thought that sounded tedious, despite being some of the best games around, IMO.

Edit: anyway, I just stumbled upon that Swann character you've all been talking about :shutup

Reminded me of the end of Episode 1 of Quake, where you run to pick up a weapon at the edge of a sea of lava, only for a massive monster to rear up right in front of you.

Also, I swear I found the bar from Cheers just off from the same location! I kept thinking it seemed very familiar, until I noticed two skeletons propped up at the bar, one of which was wearing a postman's uniform. I'd completely forgotten that show was based in Boston.

Also, Vault 75 has a bunch of kids' building blocks arranged to spell out 'GARY' :P

I thought about this after I posted last night, 4 is more like Skyrim with an enhanced Hearthfire and a post-apocalyptic mod. Pretty much everything thats in 4 that wasnt in 3 was in Skyrim, or the Hearthfire DLC.

That said, Im still really enjoying it, easily as much as I enjoyed 3 or Skyrim on first play through.

The problem is they're bad RPGs now. The level building for characters has been dumbed down to a bare minimum and in all Bethesda games now your choices don't have much impact on the game. The chat wheel in FO4 is a disgrace quite frankly.

Someone on reddit said they don't make fantasy games any more, they make sandboxes. Seems accurate.

No, it doesnt. Jack Burton summed it up pretty well, I think.

How many hours have you racked up on a "sandbox"?

I was the same with Morrowind and Oblivion; Bethesda have a terrible habit of starting their games off with a dull introduction. I think I got into their Fallout games with less difficulty because I was curious to see what was going on with this strange futuristic Fifties alternate universe, whereas the Elder Scrolls just presents you with the bog-standard fantasy setting and figures that'll be enough (which it probably will be, if you spent £40 on the damned thing, but not so much these days).

Glad I got beyond the start of Skyrim, though, as that's been a lot of fun.

The Witcher 3 came at a bad time for Bethesda. Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying Fallout 4, but W3 came at a time in development for F4 that they were probably pretty locked down. Pretty much everything that the two games both offer, ProjektRed did it better. The story and the writing are absolutely miles ahead, and I think it looks a lot better too. Of course, it's harder to make a post-apocalyptic world look as nice as a sunrise over a lake, but still, it just looks generally better.

I think Bethesda have gone downhill with this one. It's not a bad game, but they have dumbed it down a little. I think I got more into Skyrim, and I was playing the final missions of the Witcher just hoping that it wouldn't end soon, I was enjoying it so much. With Fallout, I kind of feel like I just want to play it enough to see everything, complete it, then move on.

I certainly don't think Fallout 4 is a bad game. I'm enjoying it, I just don't feel like I can get drawn into it as much as I did with Skyrim. It just doesn't feel like much of a sequel to be honest - it doesn't feel that much more advanced than Fallout 3.

I never got into Skyrim either. It's utterly dull. Dull characters, dull missions, awful voice acting and dialogue and the world felt empty. The Witcher has been such an eye opener into the potential of fantasy RPGs but then even Morrowind and Oblivion felt more engaging than Skyrim. I think it's partially because I want a fantasy world to look a little more like a "fantasy world" than the Scottish Highlands in the Middle Ages with dragons.

I'll start with a caveat of saying I LOVE Fallout 4. It's deep, rich, immersive and is a joy to play.

Playing devil's advocate however, you could look at another Bethesda jump, and not even a generational one. The difference between Oblivion and Skyrim, I would argue, is bigger than the difference between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

And Oblivion and Skyrim were on the same console. Granted, you could argue that because Oblivion came out in the infancy of the 360 and PS3 that it was as good as previous gen, but the differences are monumental.

That said, I think Fallout 4 is utterly superb, it's just not as massive a leap as I guess some were expecting.

So went into Salem today. The guy who wants you to turn on his turrets, got absolutely mauled by a legendary mirluke that followed me into the basement. So I just stole all his stuff.

I've now got to decide to pursue the main quest or head off to the brotherhood of steel

Just witnessed a suicider run at two caravan guards. Brahmin and the seller.. massive boom and only he dies.

Also exploded a glowing one with a flaming car.. no idea where the body went

Oh and legendary rad roaches. Eh?