How long would you give Allan Johnston ?

I think claiming the season's over after going out the cup wouldn't be realistic. There are lots of points to play for at this stage and a 7 point gap between you and 7th is reclaimable over 6 months.

Anyway, didn't crowds go slightly up last time Killie were in a relegation dog fight, against Falkirk IIRC?

Hearts gaining 3 points on Killie in 3 months is nothing to get worried about. If they were 7 points away, say, then you could claim they're making serious ground, but you're not going to finish 12th this season.

Finishing 7th is an utterly irrelevant achievement though. We're already 12 points off the top 6 after 14 games.

The lowest ever points tally for a top 6 finish was 41 back in 2000/01. Killie have 9 points from 14 games, and would need to take 32 points from our next 19 games to achieve that. That means a record of W10 D2 L7, W9 D5 L4 or W8 D8 L3 from our next 19 games, with 2 of them being against Celtic.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is that irrelevance is as good as it'll get this year.

Is this the situation: Johston will struggle to get Killie to top 6 this season so must go? He's had a poor start but you're nowhere near top 6 material this season anyway; your squad is of similar quality to Ross County and Partick Thistle- you should aim to compete with them and improvement on last year's 9th place should be considered an encouraging achievement.

Finishing 7th is an utterly irrelevant achievement though. We're already 12 points off the top 6 after 14 games.

The lowest ever points tally for a top 6 finish was 41 back in 2000/01. Killie have 9 points from 14 games, and would need to take 32 points from our next 19 games to achieve that. That means a record of W10 D2 L7, W9 D5 L4 or W8 D8 L3 from our next 19 games, with 2 of them being against Celtic.

The same 12 points that we're off the bottom? That you seem convinced Hearts will make up? When we have a better squad?

The same 12 points that we're off the bottom? That you seem convinced Hearts will make up? When we have a better squad?

If Killie can't win any of the three games against Hearts, it's certainly a possibility. It will be interesting to see what happens in January at all the bottom six clubs.

If Killie can't win any of the three games against Hearts, it's certainly a possibility. It will be interesting to see what happens in January at all the bottom six clubs.

We played Hearts off the park when we met this season. I see nothing to suggest that we can't win every game against them this season.

Is this the situation: Johston will struggle to get Killie to top 6 this season so must go? He's had a poor start but you're nowhere near top 6 material this season anyway; your squad is of similar quality to Ross County and Partick Thistle- you should aim to compete with them and improvement on last year's 9th place should be considered an encouraging achievement.

We would be highly envious of an irrelevant season right now. The difference between us and Ross County & Thistle is that their managers have had the time to work with their squads and know their strengths. Our manager has proved that he signs duds, gets loaned duds , passes off a dud as an assistant and when it gets tough he is found wanting. He is floundering in charge of a club in turmoil yet some fans for their own agenda defend him. Curious

We would be highly envious of an irrelevant season right now. The difference between us and Ross County & Thistle is that their managers have had the time to work with their squads and know their strengths. Our manager has proved that he signs duds, gets loaned duds , passes off a dud as an assistant and when it gets tough he is found wanting. He is floundering in charge of a club in turmoil yet some fans for their own agenda defend him. Curious

:lol:

You couldn't make it up. So Allan Johnston should be fired because he's only had 6 months in charge, yet Derek Adams should be applauded for turning his top six team (that he's managed for a few seasons) into relegation fodder?

You couldn't make it up. So Allan Johnston should be fired because he's only had 6 months in charge, yet Derek Adams should be applauded for turning his top six team (that he's managed for a few seasons) into relegation fodder?

You seem to the guy in the know at rp.......so whats mj up to by registering a new company called the park hotel ayrshire with companys house ???

Are you saying you want Johnston out because he hasn't had time to work with his squad?

No I want him out because he isnt good enough I was just drawing a comparison albeit a not very good one .I was struggling to say something positive about the man. The squad that play week in week out is mainly his choices and his tactics and I would have expected some improvement over the last few months, but none so far.

I just did

Interpretation isnt your strong point you like to pick out parts of a post that suits you. What about the "duds" sentence or did that escape your attention? ;)

My opinion on AJ hasnt changed since day 1 as well you know but dont let that impinge on your agenda yet again. You stick with your man and then in 6 months time do your usual 360 and say you never really rated him his tactics were all wrong etc etc.... Sound familiar QLP ? Hows your bipolar condition these days ?

No. The situation is that Johnston is struggling to keep Killie in the league. It is so blatantly obvious that he is out of his depth, and that we have taken a massive step backwards over the summer. After the split, the league position isn't particularly significant. We could easily have finished anywhere between 7th and 10th. Our season ended the moment Rory Boulding scored that goal for Dundee Utd against Aberdeen.

Why are you shifting the goalposts of the argument all over the place anyway? We're not 7th and we're not 9th. We're basically bottom of the league but for Hearts having their deduction.

Those aren't the same thing due to Hearts' points deduction.

We have dropped 12 points to St Johnstone over 14 games, which suggests they're a lot better than us and that it's unlikely we are suddenly going to catch them up.

However Hearts have gained 3 points on us over 14 games, which makes it much more likely that they could make up more on us and catch us up.

If Killie go out the cup this weekend they will have exited at the first hurdle in both domestic trophies along with earning the least points in the league.

Has that ever happened before in East Ayrshire? When did that last happen to a top flight team?

If Killie go out the cup this weekend they will have exited at the first hurdle in both domestic trophies along with earning the least points in the league.

Has that ever happened before in East Ayrshire? When did that last happen to a top flight team?

The league season hasn't finished yet.

I've posted my thoughts on Allan Johnston's appointment earlier in the thread. I agree it looks like he's a step back from Shiels but you've got him and this season isn't the lost cause you make it out to be; he still has an opportunity to prove himself.

Since 7th place doesn't suit you, Craig, what would you have be happy with this season?

The league season hasn't finished yet.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant league performance at the time of being knocked out the Scottish Cup.

Is any top flight team ever had such a woeful start in all fronts of a campaign?

Losing to a diddy team next week might have be pushing it but losing to Dundee Utd away surely can't be the last straw.

All things considered he's probably been found out as a lightweight and out of his depth but Killie:

1. can't afford to terminate contracts after a few months.

2. are in a position of relative security thanks to Hearts, very much like the Gretna season.

So the board will likely give him more than one more week!

I covered the bit on bold in my follow up post, if we lose on Friday all we have to play for is avoiding relegation/play off spot, given that this would mean we were out of both domestic cups by christmas and sitting second bottom (technically bottom on points gained this season) it's a record that would normally result in a change of manager.

He is absolutely useless. I was totally underwhelmed when he was appointed and wanted Paul Hartley who had achieved far more tha Johnston did by managing a full time team in a part time league.

After watching the first half dozen games I said to friends I would sack him at that point as we were watching utter garbage and by doing so it would give someone else a chance to sort out the mess. We are now about 3 months further down the line and in a far worse situation.

We had umpteen players playing at the end of September who were still not match fit because of his indecision and incompetence. He has curtailed the development of numerous younger players and has repeatedly criticised Mark O'Hara publicly, yet said nothing about the like of Nicholson, who is done, or is that dung, Irvine, who is a joke and has made more mistakes than others.

When you listen to him I question how that could motivate anyone - he speaks in a monotone and sound like a stuck record, hell he he can't even speak properly - why would anyone want to listen to him?

IMO this season we have watched the worst football I have seen in at least the last 25 years at Rugby Park and there is no sign that there will be any improvement in the forseeable future.

I didn't renew my season ticket this season for the first time in 24 years, hoping that by doing so it would contribute to a wider group of fans starving the parasite of cash - it may be the best decision I have made in many a year as I am now at the stage where I am beginning to consider seriously whether I am prepared to to continue to pay a £22 walk up fee every home match to watch the garbage I have seen this year. Fortunately I was abroad when we played Celtic in September as I definitely would not have paid £26 to watch a match that is live on TV.

I am going to Tannadice on Friday, purely cause it is the Scottish Cup, and I will be amazed if we lose by less than 5. As much as I want to win, if I knew a hammering would get rid of at least one Johnston I would take it.

As for that cretin Sandy Clark, we fortunately got rid of him once before, so why the hell did we bring him back - a dinosaur and one of the reasins Scottish football is dying on its feet.

Archived