Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Janet Street Porter her bbc programme about Scotland asking if The Scottish hate the English?,,,,f**k off.

Not all of them. And not as a collective entity. But by god I hate that parasite Porter.

I find it strange that Better Together have decided to rebrand themselves as No Thanks.

Is that something you usually do when you're apparently 20 odd points ahead in the poll?

I don't know any companies that decided to do a major rebranding when successful, it's usually the other way about

I find it strange that Better Together have decided to rebrand themselves as No Thanks.

Is that something you usually do when you're apparently 20 odd points ahead in the poll?

I don't know any companies that decided to do a major rebranding when successful, it's usually the other way about

Do you think they might have Gerald Ratner helping out?

Against all odds

Posted on June 09, 2014 by Rev. Stuart Campbell

The Daily Record carries a story this evening about a man placing a £200,000 bet with William Hill on a No vote in the independence referendum.

A punter is so sure of a No vote in the Independence referendum he has put a record £200,000 on the result.

The bet equalled the biggest sum wagered on politics in the UK. The revelation came yesterday from bookie William Hill, where the gambler made three hefty bets on the status quo being maintained.

The man, in his 50s, walked into a shop in Glasgow and put £30,000 on the counter, taking odds of 1/5 on a No vote. He then came back later that day and stuck on another £70,000.

And the next day he turned up with another £100,000 in cash, which he stuck on despite the odds shortening to 1/6. If Scots vote to stay in the Union he will win £36,000.

And readers might be forgiven for finding it a bit familiar.

A CUSTOMER IN A William Hill Glasgow betting shop has gambled £200,000 believed to be the largest political bet ever struck that the outcome of the 2014 Scottish Referendum will be a vote AGAINST Independence.

We have never taken a bigger bet than this on any political subject. said Hills spokesman Graham Sharpe. The man, in his late fifties, with a pronounced Scottish accent, and a stranger to staff, struck one bet of £30,000 at odds of 1/5, then returned to place another, of £70,000 at the same odds, before placing a third, of £100,000 at odds by now shortened to 1/6. He stands to make a total profit of £36,666.

That second quote is from the William Hill website, almost exactly a year ago. And when an alert reader spotted it, we were about to dismiss is as one of the weird database quirks that you sometimes see in online newspapers where an old story will occasionally appear to have been printed today unless you look very closely at the dateline, because we clearly remembered the bet being reported widely at the time.

That was until we read this bit in the Record article:

The revelation came with 100 days to go before the referendum.

Theres no mistake here. And no innocent confusion by a careless hack lifting the story off the internet without noticing the year either, because the Hills story is dated the 24th of June 2013, and eagle-eyed calendar watchers will of course be aware that its currently only the 9th of June this year.

(Hills current odds for a No vote have gotten rather more generous since then as the polls have narrowed, with a rather more lucrative 1/4 on offer, which would have netted the punter £50,000 in profit in the event of a No rather than £36,667 had he actually placed it this month well over a third more.)

Readers can speculate for themselves why the Record has chosen to run whats obviously an old story in an attempt to make it look like people are putting their money on a No vote. But were not taking any bets.

Poor equity IMO ;)

Goodness me, worrying times for all at Newcastle Airport.

Jesus.

Radio Scotland ran all day with this yesterday.

The way they were spinning this was that Newcastle Airport was the largest employer in the North East (3000 people). Now I don't have figures to be specific, but if you've ever needed to call a government agency or BT you usually end up at a Newcastle call centre so I doubt this is true.

Is this the new tactic of BT to make us feel guilty? Why are we to feel guilty when England or the rUK are potentially losing out, but not when large swathes of Scotland have been shut down over the years. Better together, pooling and sharing resources etc, etc. Did the people of the North East jump up and down when the steelworks in Scotland were systematically destroyed?

I'm sorry that anyone has to live in this country that gets shafted constantly by Westminster, but we have a chance to change it. My experience of people from Newcastle is as nice, and as friendly as they are, when it comes down to it they really don't give a shit about Scotland.

The North East had their chance to have an assembly, but they overwhelmingly rejected it. If they want to be tied to Westminster that's fine by me, but they can f**k right off if they think I am going to care about potential repercussions of what will happen when we are trying to make our own lives better.

Call it selfish if you want and no doubt the usual suspects will jump on this, but there comes a point when you have to stand up for yourselves. There is only so long that you can keep taking one for the team

Radio Scotland ran all day with this yesterday.

The way they were spinning this was that Newcastle Airport was the largest employer in the North East (3000 people). Now I don't have figures to be specific, but if you've ever needed to call a government agency or BT you usually end up at a Newcastle call centre so I doubt this is true.

Is this the new tactic of BT to make us feel guilty? Why are we to feel guilty when England or the rUK are potentially losing out, but not when large swathes of Scotland have been shut down over the years. Better together, pooling and sharing resources etc, etc. Did the people of the North East jump up and down when the steelworks in Scotland were systematically destroyed?

I'm sorry that anyone has to live in this country that gets shafted constantly by Westminster, but we have a chance to change it. My experience of people from Newcastle is as nice, and as friendly as they are, when it comes down to it they really don't give a shit about Scotland.

The North East had their chance to have an assembly, but they overwhelmingly rejected it. If they want to be tied to Westminster that's fine by me, but they can f**k right off if they think I am going to care about potential repercussions of what will happen when we are trying to make our own lives better.

Call it selfish if you want and no doubt the usual suspects will jump on this, but there comes a point when you have to stand up for yourselves. There is only so long that you can keep taking one for the team

Poor Newcastle.

Poor BBC. Another who cares headline story.

Sorry Banterman, but I dont care about the North of England.

Poor Newcastle.

Poor BBC. Another who cares headline story.

Sorry Banterman, but I dont care about the North of England.

I've no issue with these points of view. Completely understandable and valid.

I think we can shelve the "independence will be good for the North of england" chat though.

I've no issue with these points of view. Completely understandable and valid.

I think we can shelve the "independence will be good for the North of england" chat though.

The only thing that MIGHT help the north of England is a major political shake up. Unless you think the peoples candidate Ed Milliband is going to help :lol:

You seem to be in agreement that no one in Westminster gives a shit about the north of England but you are quite happy to vote for the status quo. If they don't care about Newcastle and Liverpool then they certainly don't care about Scotland.

The only thing that MIGHT help the north of England is a major political shake up. Unless you think the peoples candidate Ed Milliband is going to help :lol:

You seem to be in agreement that no one in Westminster gives a shit about the north of England but you are quite happy to vote for the status quo. If they don't care about Newcastle and Liverpool then they certainly don't care about Scotland.

Expect a Banterman reply using his favourite template

"I've no problem with that point of view/ that's perfectly understandable, however...."

Archived