Scottish Independence

xbl

Take it today's speech isn't what the yes campaign were hoping for?

I don't think it helps or hinders either side, he certainly never said anything that startled me so I'd be shocked if YES are too upset as they'll know better than me.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it helps or hinders either side, he certainly never said anything that startled me so I'd be shocked if YES are too upset as they'll know better than me.

Darling thinks it's absolutely blown "Salmond's" pound policy out the water. He'll no doubt be umming and erring in a Dewar-esque fashion on Newsnicht Scotland tonight to explain how this bears any semblence of reality.

What i personally (and i reckon undecideds will note) is that Carney didn't say no. It's entirely feasible with proper checks, balances and political will.

Will the Bank of England oversee a currency union if agreed? Yes they will.

Darling thinks it's absolutely blown "Salmond's" pound policy out the water. He'll no doubt be umming and erring in a Dewar-esque fashion on Newsnicht Scotland tonight to explain how this bears any semblence of reality.

What i personally (and i reckon undecideds will note) is that Carney didn't say no. It's entirely feasible with proper checks, balances and political will.

Will the Bank of England oversee a currency union if agreed? Yes they will.

I think he backed up Gordon McIntyre Kemp's view on the bank bailout, The Federal Reserve virtually acted as lender of last resort.

There will have to be negotiations apparently.

What does this mean? Sounds a bit complex and time-consuming, and I'm not very good with big words because I'm Scottish.

Yeah guys I don't think this independence is going to work out. I'm out.

There is one clear message from today's thoughtful speech by Mark Carney the Governor of the Bank of England - that the failings of the Eurozone show that to have a successful monetary union you require fiscal and political union.

Why must Alistair Darling continue to bombard us with lies.

It's not even putting his own or BT's spin on it - it's just an out and out lie.

It's not even putting his own or BT's spin on it - it's just an out and out lie.

They can't help it.

You can feel ayrmad's seethe that the great IMPORTANT day he was furiously posting about that was going to be BIG news for Yes hasn't actually turned out that way.

Oh well.

You can feel ayrmad's seethe that the great IMPORTANT day he was furiously posting about that was going to be BIG news for Yes hasn't actually turned out that way.

Oh well.

No, I actually thought it was going to be a bad day(d-day for YES in my head) hence why I used the phrase "douse the fire" or similar, I never heard anything that I've not heard from YES before, the scary bit for the uneducated will be ceding some Sovereignty, like you don't in any other union.

I couldn't detect the seethe from the naesayers on here after the weekends poll because you were all giving each other a wee reassuring hug behind the settee.

Oh well.

What has Carney said that is bad news for Yes?

Oh well.

Pretty much what ayrmad said is what Carney reiterated. He was pretty clear during the Q&A that a currency union deal could be done. He never once indicated that it would be a bad thing or even an undesireable thing. All he said was that it would need to be carefully negotiated. Quite a good day for YES when the BofE refuse to tow the Tory line.

Pretty much what ayrmad said is what Carney reiterated. He was pretty clear during the Q&A that a currency union deal could be done.

Of course a currency union could be done. It's whether it would be done that's important.

And that's not a decision for Carney. It's a political decision.

So the Guardian is running with an independent Scotland having to cede sovereignty' as it's headline - presently we have none, so having some to cede is surely a positive change!

Of course a currency union could be done. It's whether it would be done that's important.

,Our big lump of assets inside it give us a pretty good starting point.

What has Carney said that is bad news for Yes?

Nothing at all

Because they're losing the argument. The polls are closing and Darling is becoming a fucking liability. And that's according to his OWN side.

The one thing I would take as a non decided voter would definitely be that the line Darling is trying to spin bears little reality to the speech and questioning fielded by Mark Carney. The No side have constantly said that this Can't happen. Then it was "unlikely" to happen. The Govenor today said it could happen, given negotiations. Better Together will soon retreat another bit further back, probably coming out with "difficult negotiations" or some such shit.

What Darling says bears no comparison to what Carney actually said. Darling is starting to lose credibility in the eyes of the undecided voters. Another bad poll and he's gonna be pumped out for sure.

Well then dont you think its incumbent on the Westminster Govt to clearly state their position on this prior to the referendum. Surely in the interests of informing the electorate fully, after all just this afternoon Camerons office issued a statement saying that the people of Scotland require all the facts.

Surely you agree that Cameron and Ossie must now inform the electorate of their intentions in the event of a YES vote. At the very least they should clearly state if they will or will not enter into negotiations. Ideally they should negotiate between now and the referendum so that we know what we are voting for. This would be entirely consistent with the Bitter Together message of informing the electorate fully on every aspect of every minor detail of absolutely every single thing which may or may not happen at some point in the next millenia.

Nothing at all

Because they're losing the argument. The polls are closing and Darling is becoming a fucking liability. And that's according to his OWN side.

The one thing I would take as a non decided voter would definitely be that the line Darling is trying to spin bears little reality to the speech and questioning fielded by Mark Carney. The No side have constantly said that this Can't happen. Then it was "unlikely" to happen. The Govenor today said it could happen, given negotiations. Better Together will soon retreat another bit further back, probably coming out with "difficult negotiations" or some such shit.

What Darling says bears no comparison to what Carney actually said. Darling is starting to lose credibility in the eyes of the undecided voters. Another bad poll and he's gonna be pumped out for sure.

Aye, Darling is a liability for the No side as you say.

A guy I know, who was a hardcore No a year ago is now on the Yes side. The catalyst for him changing his stance was Darling's immediate and laughable reaction to the White Paper. You know, the white paper he managed to read from cover to cover in less than an hour?

Long live Darling!

Nothing at all

Agree with pretty much everything you say apart from Darling getting the tin tack. They already dropped Moore, ostensibly because he was unwilling to lie as opposed to spinning. Carmichael was supposed to be the attack dog, which shows how out of touch Ossie and Unionist HQ are. They still believe that scare tactics are the way forward because 1) Thats pretty much all they have, and 2) Thats what worked in the past.

Darling will be safe, if untrusted by hardliners in Westminster, purely because dumping him now would look like they were in trouble. And where do they go after that? They could attempt to postion Gordon Brown as head honcho, but he has no more credibility than Darling. If it did come to pass and they hit the panic button I could see them sending in what they think would be a genuine heavyweight. Someone who wont flinch and would be uncompromising in his view of the absolute devastation that Independence would bring. Someone who could engineer a narrative so terrifying that BT would think it would frighten even YES supporters. It would be an absolute gift to the YES campaign but BT would feel its the way forward. To this end I give you the rising star of the Tory idealogy..........step forward Michael Gove.

Archived