Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03s6pjv/Does_Scandinavia_Want_Scotland/

Interesting podcast about becoming a member of the Nordic Council and stuff if we were to gain independence. Sounds absolutely class IMO

I listened to that on Radio 4 earlier in the week. The program's conclusion was that there is no interest in Scotland from the Nordic countries - plus the bit about Whisky was fucking embarrassing.

The Icelandic Prime Minister said he would welcome Scotland into the NC, as have several Danish politicians and academics.

I haven't a clue about that but it matters not a jot in this conext: I was replying to the post about the podcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03s6pjv/Does_Scandinavia_Want_Scotland/

Interesting podcast about becoming a member of the Nordic Council and stuff if we were to gain independence. Sounds absolutely class IMO

A good listen and interesting to hear from the Nordic perspective. In essence it appears that the Nordic Council would be delighted - "overjoyed" was the word the Swedish official used- if an Independent Scotland came calling.

The Nordic region (with an Independent Scotland) would have a population if 25million but an econony bigger than Russia, was also a comment worth noting.

What about the arc or prosperity; can we still join up with that?

The good thing about independence is that options like joining the Nordic Council are there. No.options on any change if a no vote happens. We just have to cross our fingers like good little boys and hope the London elite do right by us. Given their history I very much doubt it.

It's not a real organisation. It's a comment Salmond made about how prosperous an Independent Scotland would be. But Unionists love to misquote. Too poor, too wee, too stupi't. Yawn. It aint working anymore.

Indeed.

The bad thing is our domestic politics will be dominated by negotiations and independence. There will be no business as usual for an unknown length of time. That might not be a bad thing

I have not seen any hint at how much the 'divorce' would cost Scotland and the UK both in terms of time and money.

I am sure many will see these as lacking ambition or 'negative' but they are important things for a lot of people who think a stable country is important. And no amount of we could do this or do that will address these concerns for some.

As opposed to the 'no more boom and bust' or the fact that 'we're all in it together'?

Only numpties believe the shitty soundbites that politicians come out with. All sides use them.

It's not a real organisation. It's a comment Salmond made about how prosperous an Independent Scotland would be. But Unionists love to misquote. Too poor, too wee, too stupi't. Yawn. It aint working anymore.

WOULD be? Really? Not could be? The constant pretence of a guaranteed land of milk and honey isn't working either.

People go on about the Nordic Council like it's some sort of paradise. Forgive the scepticism but what's so great about it? It looks to me like a talking shop that just duplicates diplomatic channels with no meaningful powers to deal with anything and whose smallest inkling of purpose has long since been subsumed by the institutions of the EU and EEC.

What is so wonderful about this new "choice" Scotland would have?

As opposed to the 'no more boom and bust' or the fact that 'we're all in it together'?

Only numpties believe the shitty soundbites that politicians come out with. All sides use them.

Absolutely correct.

Indeed.

The bad thing is our domestic politics will be dominated by negotiations and independence. There will be no business as usual for an unknown length of time. That might not be a bad thing

I have not seen any hint at how much the 'divorce' would cost Scotland and the UK both in terms of time and money.

I am sure many will see these as lacking ambition or 'negative' but they are important things for a lot of people who think a stable country is important. And no amount of we could do this or do that will address these concerns for some.

Divorces can indeed be messy, and can take a long time to sort out. But I'd prefer that option rather than sticking it out in a relationship that just isn't working anymore. We'll be happier in the long run.

(If you want to use this particularly simplistic analogy)

WOULD be? Really? Not could be? The constant pretence of a guaranteed land of milk and honey isn't working either.

I think you're right here.

The Yes campaign are making these arguments in response to the 'too wee, too poor' attacks that still resonate with a lot of people unfortunately. But as a result they sound like they're banging on about an economic paradise.

Yes do need to tone it down a bit in that respect but I understand why they're pointing this stuff out.

Divorces can indeed be messy, and can take a long time to sort out. But I'd prefer that option rather than sticking it out in a relationship that just isn't working anymore. We'll be happier in the long run.

(If you want to use this particularly simplistic analogy)

I understand that Yes voters will see it that way; but ignoring it or writing it off as a negative concern will not change the minds of a lot of people. its certainly not an argument that BT will want to bring out as it just looks as the last scrap of the barrel and that is how it would play out in the political fight. Nevertheless I think its a big concern for many.

Frankie Boyle on twitter

BfO9xGbCEAIzCA8.png

When did Frankie Boyle's tweets become the equivalent of the oracle of Delphi for some people? In the past he has used twitter to do things like tweeting about providing a sheep each for Donegal GAA players presumably with intended comic implications revolving around zoophilia:

http://balls.ie/gaa/what-will-jim-mcguinness-make-of-paddy-mcbreaty-offering-an-all-ireland-final-player-ticket-to-frankie-boyle/

Another example of a live debate of Unionists being shown up as talking shite, and once again they can't handle the debate

http://youtu.be/qOJk4cWMf6k

Yes spokesman: "Here are some stats and quotes that back up my position in this debate.

No spokesman: "but you can't be certain! The SNP have changed their mind on some issues in the last 30 years"

It's becoming a bit of a pattern

Archived