Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, so much for the Spanish blocking us from staying within the EU

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1391381651.437235.jpg

Yeah, but what do the Spanish really think?

In a couple of weeks I'm sure some of the law squad will be able to tell us what the Spanish are really thinking, and if you bring this up it'll be in the past and nobody really believes anything in the FT.

But this never, ever, happens. Right?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/man-charged-with-posting-a-message-on-twitter-threatening-to-kill-alex-salmond.1391444862

Man charged with posting a message on Twitter threatening to kill Alex Salmond
Monday 3 February 2014

A man has appeared in court charged with posting a message on Twitter threatening to kill first minister Alex Salmond.

Never. Ever. Happens.

I think today, with the passing of one of the most progressive and equal marriage bills in the world resoundingly, while the rest of the UK scraped their vote through or won't entertain the idea it shows that an independent Scotland could become one of the most equal nations in the world, if we were given the financial and legislative powers which allowed us to do so. I appreciate we already have a lot of powers, but if we had control over our finances and our own autonomy we would only be limited by the attitudes of the Scottish people. There would be nothing holding us back.

Social justice is something which is clearly valued in this country.

I'll be voting yes because I genuinely believe that in the event of independence Scotland can become a greater, fairer nation.

It is a total lie to say that Equal Marriage "scraped through" down south. It passed the second reading with about 70% of voting Parliamentarians.

How many didn't bother to vote?

It is a total lie to say that Equal Marriage "scraped through" down south. It passed the second reading with about 70% of voting Parliamentarians.

And how did support for it down there compare with support for it up here?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/05/gay-marriage-gay-rights

400 to 175 Westminster.

http://news.stv.tv/politics/262880-gay-marriage-becomes-law-in-scotland-after-parliamentary-vote/

105 - 18 Holyrood

What is telling is that in both votes, the majority of tories either voted no or did not vote. Not surprising, but telling nonetheless.

11 lib dems voted against or did not vote. Can you explain that one Ad lib? I would have thought it would have been 100% for on votes like this. Certainly should be going by your constitution.

The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity

We look forward to a world in which all people share the same basic rights, in which they live together in peace and in which their different cultures will be able to develop freely

Wee snippets about Quebec, not my words.

The referendum was a profoundly undemocratic exercise, and more and more Quebecois justly believe that they were cheated. The blatant abuses of Bill 92 (which controls election spending) by the federal government went unpunished. (Imagine if the National Assembly had threatened to suspend the campaign until federalist flouting of the law came to a halt.) Despite the OUI’s wide popular base, the capitalist press lined up solidly for the NON. Not one major newspaper, radio station or TV network came out in clear support of the OUI. Considering all this, 40% is an amazing success. And when we take into account the 20% bloc vote of Anglophones and immigrants, the odds against a victory become almost insurmountable.

From the standpoint of tactics, the referendum has been a bitter experience. The deck was stacked from the outset. The possibility that Quebec could achieve its liberation by the ballot box is remote if not altogether impossible. The continued intransigence of the English Canadian capitalists, and their support by US imperialism, points with ever greater certainty towards an armed conflict. Our job must be not to shy away from this prospect, but to prepare for it.

I was in Quebec at that time, Montreal.

The dirty tricks at the last minute against Yes are a pointer to what we should expect.

Air Canada, a nationalised airline made just about every aircraft they could to the No campaign, aka CanGov, to fly thousands of Canadians from all over Canada for a "stay in Canada, we love and need you" march in Mtl. The lucky day trippers paid peanuts their flights and had a good days shopping and eating.

The cost of that circus never appeared in the No accounts. In fact No overspent their limit with impunity.

The week before the vote, every billboard in Quebec was bloc booked by No asking the voters not to desert Canada. The cost of that was never revealed.

In fact the difference between the Yes and No votes was fewer than the number of fans who attend the Montreal Canadiens hockey games; that few.

Our No mob have stolen lots from the Canadian experience and a few more things yet too be revealed.

How many didn't bother to vote?

Vote participation is generally much higher in Holyrood than Westminster, in part because of the way business is done and in part because of other things like pairing, which tend not to happen in the former.

And how did support for it down there compare with support for it up here?

Both overwhelmingly in favour.

11 lib dems voted against or did not vote. Can you explain that one Ad lib? I would have thought it would have been 100% for on votes like this. Certainly should be going by your constitution.

Some did not vote because they were absent from the chamber. A very small minority of those who did vote disgraced the party. They are subhuman scum and no better than the John Masons of this world.

Question: Do you think a centre-right party would ever flourish in an independence Scotland?

I mean, on one hand Scotland seems to consistently vote for either SNP and Labour and the country in general appears to be more left-wing than the rest of the UK, especially England. On the other hand though, without a right-wing party being affiliated to the Tories down south, would people perhaps be more included to vote for a more right-wing party?

Question: Do you think a centre-right party would ever flourish in an independence Scotland?

I mean, on one hand Scotland seems to consistently vote for either SNP and Labour and the country in general appears to be more left-wing than the rest of the UK, especially England. On the other hand though, without a right-wing party being affiliated to the Tories down south, would people perhaps be more included to vote for a more right-wing party?

I think they definitely would.

Murdo Fraser wanted to effectively wind up the Scottish Tories if he'd won the leadership contest a few years ago and create a new centre-right party maybe along the lines of the CSU in Bavaria. That is, strongly align with the tories down south or the CDU in Germany as the CSU do, but not necessarily vote with them all the time. As it is the Scottish Tories will bumble along on 15% after a no vote.

I think if we were to become independent a centre-right party would do relatively well. It might not contain many dregs left over from the old "Conservative and Unionist" banner, rather some right wingers from the SNP, business folk who didn't want tarnished with the old lot and some younger folk new to politics. It would definitely bring a new perspective to Scottish politics.

It won't happen unless we vote yes.

Possibly, though certainly not under devo or even devo max. I can see right wingers from all 4 major parties forming their own post indy arseholes brigade.

BitterTogether's panic displayed in a ten minute lead story on Newsnight this evening. Still, at least David Cameron is sticking to his victorious stand-off pol... oh wait he's coming to do a speech about it. The narrative, if not yet the tide, is discernibly turning.

BitterTogether's panic displayed in a ten minute lead story on Newsnight this evening. Still, at least David Cameron is sticking to his victorious stand-off pol... oh wait he's coming to do a speech about it. The narrative, if not yet the tide, is discernibly turning.

Citing the Olympics no less......

Archived