Scottish Independence

xbl

UNless Yes Scotland change the story, Lamont can got o Perth next month and not have to offer any kind bauble about extra devolution.

I suspect the further devo aspect will be a card played in the summer - perhaps common ground found between the 3 unionist proposals, which can be sold with "the added safety of the pound"

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She can quite clearly speak within her remit on policy areas already devolved.

Would this be the same 'remit' that had a previous leader slithering back from calling for a referendum, because London said no?

I'm sure we're all champing at the bit to hear her innovative ideas.

What, specifically, is her 'remit' then, and how has she secured her position from the interference of her paymasters in London?

The role of the "leader" of Scottish Labour changed after 2011. I am not aware of the details but her "remit" is not the same one enjoyed by Wendy Alexander and Iain Gray.

The role of the "leader" of Scottish Labour changed after 2011. I am not aware of the details but her "remit" is not the same one enjoyed by Wendy Alexander and Iain Gray.

Changed in what way; what evidence is there to show that Lamont has any greater power than the beige mouth-pieces before her?

She won't be able to make any guarantees about UK Labour policy if we vote No

She doesn't have that authority.

I suspect the further devo aspect will be a card played in the summer - perhaps common ground found between the 3 unionist proposals, which can be sold with "the added safety of the pound"

If it looks like they have killed it with the 'no currency union' gambit, why even bother offering anything?

If it looks like they have killed it with the 'no currency union' gambit, why even bother offering anything?

No currency union in the event of a yes vote. That doesn't affect any fannying around with devolution in the event of a no vote does it?

No currency union in the event of a yes vote. That doesn't affect any fannying around with devolution in the event of a no vote does it?

Further meaningful devolution is only an option in the event of the Union feeling threatened enough to offer it. If Osborne and Balls have succesfully 'saved' the Union today, then there is absolutely no reason for them to offer diluting their own powers to gift them to Holyrood, none.

To offer a "postive future for Scotland" and all that jazz.

If today was the stick then this is potentially the carrot.

To offer a "postive future for Scotland" and all that jazz.

If today was the stick then this is potentially the carrot.

Only if they think they need the carrot, if they don't, it's no veggies for Dobbins the Donkey (to further mangle the metaphor). At the most, they'll offer a conversation about a committee that might meet (or might even be a philisophical abstract, not meant to be taken literally) to further discuss options for possiblities for the further devolution of planning laws regarding the positioning of phone poles. The one thing, the only thing, that could ever inspire westmisnter to consider a 'positive future for Scotland' would be a threat to the dissolution of the union itself. Otherwise, the standard line is a strong Scotland in a United Kingdom, by which they mean Westminster in charge, becuase strength comes from the centre: it's one of the strong areas of agreement between Labour and the Tories.

I notice STV are to hold an independence debate between Nicola Sturgeon & Johann Lamont. Is that particularly wise given the obvious mismatch here, especially with Lamont unscripted? Sturgeon may have got a hard time from Andrew Neil today, but this has one way traffic written all over it.

Am I correct in thinking that Scottish Labour should be more correctly know as The Labour Party in Scotland? I think I read that somewhere...

I read this weeks Dunfermline press where the youth group Synchronicity were interviewed with regards to the Independence debate. Below are a few quotes from those interviewed:

Kathleen (St Columba's): "What if there was a war? Who would help us, we would be on our own. In Second Year at St Columba's all of this isn't really discussed much - either in the playground or classes. Someone was talking about a girl being bullied at School - I think that's horrible - but I suppose that's what could happen if it was a YES vote. I think we should just stay as we are"

Mehak (Dunfermline High): "It doesn't make any sense to me. I have studied this in Modern Studies. One of the things I thought was weird was that if we went for Independence we would then apply to join the EU - it doesn't make sense to me to come out of one partnership to become independent and then join another - why?"

Stuart (Queen Ann High): "I feel like it's all a big publicity stunt to try and rub it in the face of the English that we can do this alone but what is this actually going to achieve? Sixth year in school talk politics at lunch and we feel that people that are voting YES are just being patriotic and haven't researched into the rights and wrongs of it all"

Megan (Dunfermline High): " I have heard that people saying if we get the YES vote then they will be moving to England so as not to face an economic downturn especially when belts are already tight. I don't think it would be a good idea yo mix things up"

And my favourite is Jack (Dunfermline High): " We heard that if Scotland became independent and joined the EU, anyone in the EU could travel into Scotland so how would we control that? I mean, how many people can they fit into our country? Would we say, 'Sorry, we are full - you can't get in'? So I would be voting NO, I know a few folk voting YES but the majority of folk I know are voting NO"

Wow...

I read this weeks Dunfermline press where the youth group Synchronicity were interviewed with regards to the Independence debate. Below are a few quotes from those interviewed:

Kathleen (St Columba's): "What if there was a war? Who would help us, we would be on our own. In Second Year at St Columba's all of this isn't really discussed much - either in the playground or classes. Someone was talking about a girl being bullied at School - I think that's horrible - but I suppose that's what could happen if it was a YES vote. I think we should just stay as we are"

Mehak (Dunfermline High): "It doesn't make any sense to me. I have studied this in Modern Studies. One of the things I thought was weird was that if we went for Independence we would then apply to join the EU - it doesn't make sense to me to come out of one partnership to become independent and then join another - why?"

Stuart (Queen Ann High): "I feel like it's all a big publicity stunt to try and rub it in the face of the English that we can do this alone but what is this actually going to achieve? Sixth year in school talk politics at lunch and we feel that people that are voting YES are just being patriotic and haven't researched into the rights and wrongs of it all"

Megan (Dunfermline High): " I have heard that people saying if we get the YES vote then they will be moving to England so as not to face an economic downturn especially when belts are already tight. I don't think it would be a good idea yo mix things up"

And my favourite is Jack (Dunfermline High): " We heard that if Scotland became independent and joined the EU, anyone in the EU could travel into Scotland so how would we control that? I mean, how many people can they fit into our country? Would we say, 'Sorry, we are full - you can't get in'? So I would be voting NO, I know a few folk voting YES but the majority of folk I know are voting NO"

Wow...

Kids in school are fucking stupid tbf. Trust me i know from experience.

I notice STV are to hold an independence debate between Nicola Sturgeon & Johann Lamont. Is that particularly wise given the obvious mismatch here, especially with Lamont unscripted? Sturgeon may have got a hard time from Andrew Neil today, but this has one way traffic written all over it.

That will be good, thanks for the heads up.

http://news.stv.tv/politics/263966-scotland-tonight-nicola-sturgeon-and-johann-lamont-to-debate-referendum/

Show her how, Nicola :thumsup2

Archived